GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:09:08 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Level Designer for Misc/Classic maps only  (Read 7203 times)

Zippy

• Magic Member
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Zippy has no influence.
Level Designer for Misc/Classic maps only
« on: July 31, 2009, 04:40:41 pm »

Hello, it's me again. I have some images of an old map I was working on.  The map is ge_warehouse.

Image 1
Inside the Warehouse
Outside, before I added the snow
Inside the Warehouse again
APC Area

Let me explain what I mean for "Misc" maps.  There are quite famous multiplayer levels for GoldenEye made by the people at goldenforever.com. For instance, one of them being "The Quad".  So, am I good enough?

Sergeant Kelly

• Deus Ex Fan.
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.
Re: Level Designer for Misc/Classic maps only
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 06:27:07 pm »

Oooh, I loved those modified 'Arena style' GE64 maps. Didn't almost every map have a confined version?

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 06:45:04 pm »

The map looks pretty plain (especially images 1 and 5), adding some basic static props like vents and pipes really makes a huge visual difference. Image 2 has insane HDR on the lights over the garages, and you could disable shadows on the ceiling supports so that they don't block all the light and cast unnatural shadows. The shadows from the boxes in Image 2 could be improved if you lowered the lightmap on the floor below them, making the shadows much clearer (the warehouse in cs_assault has a similar situation). You could also add a 3D skybox to the map, so that it feels like you're within a warehouse in some sort of industrial park. I think your shadow_control entity is at the wrong angle, since in image 3 you can see that the shadow from the ammo crate is going up onto the wall next to it, instead of down on the ground.

I think that the idea of making maps based upon other people's work could get us in trouble, did you get permission to copy the layout for this map from its creator?

Do you have any other work to show besides this?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 06:47:20 pm by The SSL »
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 07:17:24 pm »

Zippy, you definitely have potential to become a great mapper, however your skills at this moment are not up to par with what we are looking for / want. I hope this does not discourage you from progressing your mapping skills! Maybe in a few months with some more experience you could get a trial. Good luck and again, I hope you do not get discouraged from this denial.

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

Zippy

• Magic Member
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 07:46:03 pm »

Do you have any other work to show besides this?
Well...  I have images of other maps I made but unfortunately, they were made in a different editor for a different game.

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 07:47:32 pm »

Well...  I have images of other maps I made but unfortunately, they were made in a different editor for a different game.

You should always post all your work. Just because they are in a different engine, doesn't mean you shouldn't show them. Those pictures still show your skill in design

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

Zippy

• Magic Member
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 01:13:03 am »

Alright, I don't have pictures, but I have a video of an old UT2k4 map I made:

Zippy

• Magic Member
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 09:58:58 pm »

I'm gonna take the no replies as a "No Zippy, we don't need you."

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 10:09:07 pm »

Read my post i already stated this :

Zippy, you definitely have potential to become a great mapper, however your skills at this moment are not up to par with what we are looking for / want. I hope this does not discourage you from progressing your mapping skills! Maybe in a few months with some more experience you could get a trial. Good luck and again, I hope you do not get discouraged from this denial.

Josh [SLX]

• Wrestling game designer
  • 00 Agent
  • Josh [SLX] is looked down upon.
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 10:39:27 pm »

Definite potential, just not in the same style as GE:S is all about.
I'm not a ge:s mapper with any official say, but I think these are really good for what they are.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 12:01:21 pm by SLX »
Current Projects: Runway, Bunker, Aztec Textures
Pages: [1]   Go Up