GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 26, 2024, 05:15:31 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dodgy Installer  (Read 4711 times)

Sub-Zero

Dodgy Installer
« on: May 23, 2009, 01:30:04 pm »

Hello there,

I have been having problems with the installer for 3.1.4 on Windows Server 2008 64-bit.
A server is currently being set up and I used the .exe instead of the .zip as I could not get a decent download speed for the full .zip and this is a dedicated server with a high speed connection, I could not be bothered waiting.

1) No notification is being given during the installer as to where it is being installed and a place to choose to install to. It just installs into the current folder under gesource without prompting. Unfortunately it ended up in Users\Adminstrator\Downloads .

2) No working uninstaller is supplied within the installer, this causes Server 2008 to have a fit and say "You do not have sufficent access to uninstall GoldenEye: Source - HalfLife 2 Mod. Please contact your system administrator". Suffice to say the user account being used is not only a member of the Administrator group but is the account called Administrator. This error message is erroneous (heh) as it simply can not find the uninstaller, but has Windows does not have a message for that.

I know I can simply delete the gesource\ folder but then stuff is left behind in the registry.

Here is an Export of the uninstall string from the registry key:

Code: [Select]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\GoldenEye Source]
"DisplayName"="GoldenEye: Source - HalfLife 2 Mod"
"UninstallString"="\\GoldenEye Source_Uninstall.exe"
"InstallLocation"="\\gesource"
"DisplayIcon"="\\gesource\\resource\\game.ico"
"HelpLink"="http://forums.goldeneyesource.net"

GoldenEye Source_Uninstall.exe This file does not exist.

3) Another game.ico for GoldenEye: Source somehow ended up in the root directory of the drive, I have no idea why it is there.

I would suggest that you fix your installer for your next release.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 01:33:15 pm by Sub-Zero »

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
Re: Dodgy Installer
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 02:32:44 pm »

That's really odd, all of the installers I've tested have worked fine.

Here's the Uninstaller, which should be in the sourcemods folder automatically after installation.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jozzz1jnyge
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

mookie

• Idiot
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • mookie is looked down upon.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 03:03:50 pm »

(1) The installer package is for clients, so it installs into Steam.

(2) Do you know how to use SRCDS? I have never once run an installer for any mod I've ever put on SRCDS.
5 2 3 7 1 4 6 0

Sub-Zero

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 05:05:25 pm »

(1) The installer package is for clients, so it installs into Steam.

(2) Do you know how to use SRCDS? I have never once run an installer for any mod I've ever put on SRCDS.

A server is currently being set up and I used the .exe instead of the .zip as I could not get a decent download speed for the full .zip and this is a dedicated server with a high speed connection, I could not be bothered waiting.

The installer contains the same content as the zip according to the wiki and the server has already had a succesful test run. Just need to install sourcemod etc. later on.

Oddly enough the installer for 3.0.1 that I just put on my XP machine extracted the uninstaller correctly. The timestamp of the uninstaller was also updated when I put on the 3.1.4 patch.
Thanks for the uninstaller The SSL it worked I just tested it although the title in the uninstall window had the version number of 3.1.3 and not 3.1.4.
I assume they would function the same anyway even if the uninstaller of 3.1.4 had a different window title and/or is slightly different in some other way.
I have also tested running the same 3.1.4 patch exe on the server and once again the uninstaller did not appear.
I think it must be Windows Server 2008 causing the problem in the first place.

I have been using srcds for over 2 years now we [ICannt.org] are currently running 8 GMod Servers that I have full remote access to.
We also have Linux machine running 3 CSS servers and the box running 7 of the GMod Servers is the one running GE:S, that same box also runs 2 Sven Co-op servers and soon a Left 4 Dead.

So yeah I am well experienced in configuring srcds.

StrikerMan780

• Hellbender
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • StrikerMan780 has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 02:32:31 am »

Is Windows Server 2008 Vista-Based?

If so, right-click on the GES Installer as Administrator. That' usually fixes the problem.

If that's not the case, dunno. Vista fails it big time.

Check out [SM]'s HL2: Deathmatch Server! I've worked hard on making it the best it can be.

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 07:52:47 pm »

Windows Server 2008 64-bit fails

Windows Server 2003 just works better no doubt. People say version Server 2008 is better 2003 and shit, like they said vista was better than xp.

I had a GES Server on Windows 2008, until I noticed memory and bandwidth issues. I switched over to 2003 and not a single day I had problems.

Choose what works best for you, do not choose just because people say it works better than that when you havent tried it out. 

Just helping.. ;) Good luck man
Pages: [1]   Go Up