GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:09:42 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Music (genuine GE Style)  (Read 23540 times)

Goldenzen

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 133
  • Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!
    • GoldenZen music - Nothing`s impossible
Re: Music (genuine GE Style)
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 07:52:31 pm »

Thanks SSL, I`ll check that out and maybe delete it.

I will work it over once and carefully place all the effects. Post it later.

Greets
"...ни однохо выздоха...гдые вашй.... I`m alone" Россия

опасно - не входитъ - Ыанник

Goldenzen

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 09:02:48 pm »

Hello dear GE guys,

second attempt of the GE track, here:

http://www.yanzen-solutions.ch/The_GE_Walkthrough2.MP3

Please feel free to mention more things to improve. I am grateful for any kind of critic.

If you`d like to hear something in that GE style exactly for the game, please feel free to ask. You can also add and talk to me if you`re interested

sincerely,
Yannick
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 09:25:15 pm by Goldenzen »

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 09:36:16 pm »

There's something off at 1:02, 1:12, 1:38, 1:49, and most of the other places where the four-note bond theme is, I think you're either getting off too late or too early on the last note, but I can't tell exactly. Also, at 2:18, the background sound effect sounds out of place where a new phrase in the music is starting.

In general, try to avoid placing the background sound effects directly on beats, and not where other instruments are changing notes, just during the long chords (That seems to be how Serra and Greame Norgate did it).

Also, if any devs think I'm saying too much, just let me know, I just really like this kind of GE song, which is why I'm giving my crits.  :D
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Goldenzen

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 09:41:48 pm »

This "thing" you`re saying is off, is the Timpani. But I can`t help it, it sounds in place for me. Anyway I`ll try to fix this.

If you still got the patience :)

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 09:46:18 pm »

This "thing" you`re saying is off, is the Timpani. But I can`t help it, it sounds in place for me. Anyway I`ll try to fix this.

I meant the strings that are playing the Bond theme, and the fourth note of the Bond theme being off.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Goldenzen

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 10:58:32 pm »

OK, SSL thanks for the hints, here`s attempt Nr.3, hope you and the team likes it:

http://www.yanzen-solutions.ch/The_GE_Walkthrough3.MP3

I did the whole thing a bit more straight, some more "highlights" and changed some instruments. I also added an E-Guitar in the second half

Thanks guys for your attention.

Greets

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 11:23:40 pm »

It sounds good, but I don't like it how it does not have a definitive tune to it, and there is no instrument taking the lead. Like in Facility you can easily play it back in your head as *bomp bomp, shhhhish, naaa na naa etc...*

Maybe not the best criticism, but that is just what I think.

Goldenzen

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 11:34:52 pm »

That`s absolutely right. But if you listen to Goldeneye soundtrack it`s likely not to have a strong instrument taking over. For example in the Goldeneye overtoure; besides the timpani, a upcomming distorted bass and some Organ there is no real lead to it.

But that could also be a reason for critics to Serra`s score.

Greets

Sole Signal [Audix]

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.
    • Sole Signal music
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 11:40:35 pm »

You did a great job of recreating the feel of the GE filmscore (though I like it better without that guitar), but it doesn't match the game's musical structure or style. As is, this wouldn't be included in the official game release. However, you are more than welcome to create a songpack of your own that we could link to and then be switched in at gamers' leisure.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 11:43:07 pm by Audix »

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 02:37:13 am »

I meant the strings that are playing the Bond theme, and the fourth note of the Bond theme being off.

What's throwing you off is that the strings are changing chords early by half a beat, rather than changing on the downbeat of the following measure.

To me it still sounds like all you did was copied pasted 4 measures over and over again; is anyone with me on this?

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 02:39:48 am »

Dude, I take back what I said previously! #3 hits it on the spot compared to the previous versions you did. I am actually quite impressed :)

This music is dark, gloomy, bondish in the background, and would go great for an epicly large level such as Surface, streets, etc.

Keep working on it, I bet it is bound to make our next OST :)

Sole Signal [Audix]

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.
    • Sole Signal music
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 02:43:46 am »

I was a bit hasty in my previous assessment of this. I let it loop about five times and I think that KM's mention of Streets is dead on. This track sounds very "urban" and the atmosphere would fit very well.

What's your goal with this, Goldenzen? Do you wish to be part of the team or just contribute a few tracks?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 02:47:37 am by Audix »

Goldenzen

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 06:35:50 am »

I would LOVE to be part of your team, I think it would be the greatest thing to work together. I also see what you mean when you`re saying it doesn`t fit the structure of the game; I`ve listened to some of your tracks and heard that they are very god, very fast and with a big load of action. My style is more good ol` Goldeneye style - I see the "conflict" there.

But if you give me a chance and think there are some tracks i could work on together with you this would be awesome.

Sincerely,

Yannick

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 06:47:34 am »

To be completely honest, it seems too simple to me. The reason I like audix's and bass's music is it has so much complexity to it and not just the basic bond theme in the back. The third track definitely changes a lot more than the original, which is good. However, the quality of the instruments seems very low also compared to bass's and audix. I think it would be a huge contrast to put this with audix and bass's music....but, again, it is up to everyone else I guess...frankly...not enough complexity and it has the same drum/bass beat....kind of gets old hearing it by the end IMO
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 06:49:08 am by CCsaint10 [bklax23] »

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Goldenzen

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2009, 07:08:02 am »

Thanks CCSaint, I understand what you mean although I have an other point of view:
The lack of complexity is a weakpoint I can work on. The problem is: I don`t yet see to invest that much time in a track I couldn`t share with anyone, you know the problem is: I can invest hours and hours in this track to make it better, but what`s the point of it, if I can`t release it. I had so much bad experiences in making work, especially music that took me weeks and then the producer said: "No we rather not want this".
Now I`ve seen this possibility with the GE Mod, I already invested several hours in improving GE Walkthrough and you already see progress :)

Another point is again; if you listen to old Goldeneye tracks, they are simple: There are no big highlights or as David Arnold calls it "Swing Thing". And especially not in Norgates soundtrack. Although there`s a bit more complexity coming from changing instruments and sounds.

I did it in a long loop the be suitable for a level. And the weak instruments are chosen to fit the old, rusty and dark Russian SSSR style, you know heavy, dark, mechanical...
If you read my programs that are used you can see I don`t use old or cheap programs.

And please remind: This is just a track to show what could be possible and to show the atmosphere it has to it. If I could do it for something with a goal, of course I`d take more time.

I hope you see what I try to say, I am not trying to negate your critics, I am thankful but I want to make you see my point of view.

Sincerely,

Yannick
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 07:19:47 am by Goldenzen »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up