GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 16, 2024, 03:35:51 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Totally new to HL2 and GES  (Read 4432 times)

Raiden8816

Totally new to HL2 and GES
« on: April 22, 2009, 07:28:08 pm »

Hey everyone, I was browsing youtube when I came across this awesome mod for Half-Life 2.  I had a few questions before I get ahead of myself and start buying things.

Q1) I obviously don't have HL2, so if I were to download it from Steam for $20 would this be okay for GES?

Q2) I need to know if my laptop will run this game, since fallout runs but its not the best of times...
- Dell Inspirion E1505
- Intel Core Duo T2350, 1.87GHz
- ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
- 1GB RAM
- Vista H.P. (Death lol)

Q3) I have been a console gamer my whole life, but PC games are making me happy since mods like this surface and bring a new flavor to the game.  Anyways to the question, I currently use Xpadder to use my Logitech controller (it looks like a PS2 controller)  Would using Xpadder work correctly for HL2 / GES?  [NOTE: I was able to use mouse movements to my right-analog stick with Xpadder for Fallout3]

Q4) Once I am able to install the game, how do I go about getting a Steam account?  I know you have to go to their website and download an app and other things.

Sorry for all the newbie questions.  I really want to try this beast out!

PS: Is there anything else I need to know before I attempt on purchasing/installing?

Thanks for your time

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
Re: Totally new to HL2 and GES
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 08:04:17 pm »

1/ HL2DM. 5 bucks and you don't need more. Make sure it is the SOURCE version.
2/ Don't get your hopes too high, but that should do it in 800x600
3/ http://forums.goldeneyesource.net/index.php/topic,3631.0.html
4/ Yes, make a steam account and doawnload steam itself. Follow the guide on our wiki and you should be ok.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 08:08:26 pm by Doc.NO »

Raiden8816

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 08:16:02 pm »

1/ HL2DM. 5 bucks and you don't need more. Make sure it is the SOURCE version.
2/ Don't get your hopes too high, but that should do it in 800x600
3/ http://forums.goldeneyesource.net/index.php/topic,3631.0.html
4/ Yes, make a steam account and doawnload steam itself. Follow the guide on our wiki and you should be ok.

Oh sweet, I was going to ask if I could purchase the $5 HL2TD game.  I also just downloaded STEAM and made an account.  I'm off to download the game! 

EDIT:  This is one correct?  How will I know if I get the source version?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 08:21:48 pm by Raiden8816 »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 08:39:59 pm »

Watch out because Steam makes it too easy to buy really awesome video games (even Fallout 3)... I succomb every month to buying a new game eep

Welcome to the community, I hope you enjoy the mod!

Also, yes that is HL2DM: Source, you are all set if you buy that one

Raiden8816

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 08:45:27 pm »

Cool, thanks for all the help guys.  I'll get that and venture in trying to make my controller work with it.  Yes I know the PC guys say they are better than console guys.  I call myself a hybrid now lol.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 09:12:39 pm »

w00t, another one playing GoldenEye Source. May I ask if you played the original, i.e. GoldenEye 007?

And the best of luck with your endeavour!

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 09:17:13 pm »

I took the liberty of looking up the x1400 and I don't think you will have much problem running it. I used to have a similar laptop with about the same configuration and I was able to run it ok. It won't look like the most amazing game you have ever seen, but it should still run at a decent frame rate. Just make sure you turn HDR off and a lot of those extra eye candy features. :)

Good luck and see you in game.

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Raiden8816

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 01:57:32 am »

w00t, another one playing GoldenEye Source. May I ask if you played the original, i.e. GoldenEye 007?

And the best of luck with your endeavour!

So I played about four games.  I love it, but I need to correctly configure my right-analog stick's sensitivity with xpadder.  Other than that, I got a controller to work perfectly with GES.

Yes, I played my cousin's copy of GE007 back in the day.  I also couldn't afford many N64 games but a few years ago I went to GameCrazy and they had some big sale on retro games.  Got me like 20 games, including StarFox64, GE007, SSBM, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up