GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 19, 2024, 02:46:57 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Server should be visible/something wrong  (Read 9233 times)

error41

Server should be visible/something wrong
« on: April 01, 2009, 10:30:28 pm »

I made a srcds and although the cmd prompt shows it as running, it fails to show up in the server browser. However if I run my cs source server which uses the exact same dedicated server it will show up and run fine. All ports are forwarded, am I missing something here?

Nozzy06

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Nozzy06 has no influence.
Re: Server should be visible/something wrong
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 02:11:52 am »

I'm bumping this cuz I'm having the same issue. My cmd prompt says its up and running yet I'm not seeing it in the server list. whats up?
"Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders."

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 02:39:46 am »

From what I've seen it's a lot trickier to get a proper server up and running in 3.1 than it was in Beta 1.x.

-Check your ports (I'm sure you've already done this
-go into the console and type "sv_lan 0 (without quotes)
-type "heartbeat" (without the quotes)
-type "changelevel ge_archives" (once again without the quotes)
-and finally type "heartbeat" again.

You might need a client to join the server using the "connect <ip address>" command as well to make it show up.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Nozzy06

• Secret Agent
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 03:22:14 pm »

To be honest I have NO idea what I'm doing, I've never made a server before and know nearly nothing about it. I just wanted to see if I could make a 4 player small maps server and I followed the wiki instructions and that's it. I got it to seem like its running I just can't get into the came. I know nothing of ports or server commands, I'm a total newb I sorta need teaching. =P

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 03:42:33 pm »

There are other threads regarding this exact topic on this forum. I suggest you start there. A healthy dose of your OWN research will pay large dividends in the end. When you come to us with a specific problem you have then we will be glad to answer it.

Nozzy06

• Secret Agent
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 03:55:00 pm »

Trust me, I've been looking and my specific problem is that I'm seeing my server in the LAN tab and I can connect to it but It's not showing up on the main internet server list.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 10:26:53 pm »

Well the only reason why that would be the case is if your router is blocking access of certain ports from the internet.

This means the following:
Suppose your Internet IP address is: 67.10.100.23

If I try to connect to your server via 67.10.100.23:27015 your router has no idea where to send this request (which computer should service this on your local network). Also, your router's firewall might be outright blocking this port.

In order to overcome this, you need to setup a "Service" or "Port Forwarding" to pass through the router to your computer. Basically you need to pass the following ports to your internal lan ip address (say 192.168.1.5):

UDP 27000 - 27020
TCP 27015 - 27039
UDP 1200

Note: Packet Types
UDP = Streaming traffic, such as position data from server->client, streaming video/audio, etc.
TCP = Normal internet traffic, reliable, requires confirmation

I really can't help you much more than that, read your router's manual to learn how to port forward. Some cheap routers don't let you port forward, if you are in this situation you either have to connect your computer directly to your ISP modem OR shell out some $$ for a new router.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 10:58:54 pm »

All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Nozzy06

• Secret Agent
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 11:30:28 pm »

Ah, this is where it gets tricky. I do not own the connection I use, it's my neighbors wireless that I pick up, I've been into their router options before but It requires a username and password which I can't figure out, I even asked my neighbor and she didn't know what it was either. I tried "Admin" and "password" but that also gave no results... I'm pretty sure the port forwarding is my problem though.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 12:07:11 am »

try:

Username: admin
password: leave it blank

or

admin
admin
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Nozzy06

• Secret Agent
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 12:21:10 am »

It's alright, I went to my neighbor and just reset her router, that changed the pass and username to admin password and I'm now able to mess with the settings... now I just have to learn HOW to mess with router settings. =P

Nozzy06

• Secret Agent
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 12:48:53 am »

Alright so I've forwarded all the ports that KM said, and then I confirmed that they are indeed forwarded and my router firewall is off, but now a new problem arose...

I can only see my server outside of GE:S through steam's "server" tab under LAN. When I try to connect it loads up GE:S and right at the Join match screen GE:S crashes. Plus I still can't see the server in the main list. Could it be my server.cfg file? I've never made one till last night and I may have done something wrong, anyone wanna throw me an already made Server.cfg to give me an idea? Like I said, I'm a total newb at this. =P

EDIT: Alright I got this working! My PC can only handle a 1 vs 1 server but that is fine for me I just want it for small maps and personal matches... I just have one question. How do I make custom weaponsets and map rotations and such? Oh and the round times and all that, I have no idea... =/
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 01:54:28 am by Nozzy06 »

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.

Nozzy06

• Secret Agent
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 01:02:49 pm »

Thanks for that link, but how do I make it so that it cycles through a set list of maps and weaponsets like the WN server does? And how do I make a weponset of my own? Are there links for that too? =P

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 03:09:58 pm »

in the server install folder there is a map cycle file and a game play cycle file that you can edit in a text editor

Nozzy06

• Secret Agent
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 03:27:32 pm »

More specific? Any tutorials? Sorry to be a pain in the ass but like I said, I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm trying to learn. I've done al ot of browsing and I'm just having trouble finding it out on my own.

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 09:18:29 pm »

From what I've seen it's a lot trickier to get a proper server up and running in 3.1 than it was in Beta 1.x.

-Check your ports (I'm sure you've already done this
-go into the console and type "sv_lan 0 (without quotes)
-type "heartbeat" (without the quotes)
-type "changelevel ge_archives" (once again without the quotes)
-and finally type "heartbeat" again.

You might need a client to join the server using the "connect <ip address>" command as well to make it show up.

heartbeat? is the goldeneye source server a human being? Are you performing CPR? what the hell?

Never heard of that command.

Nozzy06

• Secret Agent
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 11:08:52 pm »

Just to let you guys know I got it all working. I got help from someone and I figured pretty much all of it out and I've got it working smoothly. Thanks for the help!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up