GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 05:32:28 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Frame Rates?  (Read 18168 times)

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
Re: Frame Rates?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 03:40:17 pm »

Take care with the -heapsize command. As it is explained in the tutorial Sp1nn3y linked you to, it shouldn't go above half of your total RAM (or it will start using all your RAM and leave no "space" for other programs running on the background, such as the OS and other stuff), which in this case should go as: -heapsize 1048576, just like I have in mine (I also have 2Gb of RAM).

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 03:55:11 pm »

Does -heapsixze even do anything?  I tried it ages ago when I had a P4 512MB but never noticed an improvement im talking about 3years ago.

PPK

• PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 03:59:12 pm »

Does -heapsize even do anything? 

From what I could understand of Sp1nn3y's post, what the -heapsize command does (here goes the noob and simple explanation, since I'm no master at these things) is tell your computer that the amount of RAM you specify with that command, e.g. half of the one you have, will be used exclusively for hl2.exe, thus allowing it to run smoother.

Sp1nn3y

• Local Graphic Artist
  • 00 Agent
  • Sp1nn3y has no influence.
    • Sp1nn3ys Portfolio Website
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 05:09:30 pm »

From what I could understand of Sp1nn3y's post, what the -heapsize command does (here goes the noob and simple explanation, since I'm no master at these things) is tell your computer that the amount of RAM you specify with that command, e.g. half of the one you have, will be used exclusively for hl2.exe, thus allowing it to run smoother.

Yes, from most of the tutorials that i surfed through before posting that you got it right on the dot. it will allow that number of ram to be dedicated JUST for Hl2. I also do concur on only using half of your number there or else you will get the dreaded blue screen or some other computer problem because you DO need to have open space for the simple windows os programs in the background.

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 05:21:21 pm »

I am alsmot sure the default used to be 64MB ages ago which is why people changed it but i think now it changes depending how much RAM you have. When I load up HL2 or HL2DM it says in console heap 256MB I have 2GB RAM.  I do not know the size of my heap in GE:S because it does not print it in my console, is there a command to find out?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 05:24:34 pm by keefy »

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 05:24:24 pm »

Don't worry about it, just set it appropriately and then you'll know.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

PPK

• Warrior Nation
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2009, 05:26:07 pm »

Dunno if there is a command, but if you go to Properties>Set launch options, by right clicking on the GE:S icon on the Steam games tab, and write -heapsize 1048576 (if you have 2GB of RAM), then the heapsize will be set for that value and you have nothing to worry about.

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 05:27:16 pm »

Think I will leave it as is whatever it may be, I do not struggle to get good framerates so "if it aint broke don't fix it"  ;)

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Ruone Delacroix has no influence.
    • Nexus of Gaming
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 06:53:34 pm »

Are there any more suggestions as to my problem?
Admin of {TLP} Tastes Like Pants

Proud player of Goldeneye: Source. Keep up the great work, team!

PPK

• Warrior Nation
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 07:06:56 pm »

Are there any more suggestions as to my problem?

You said that after inputting the heapzise command on the launch options, you were able to run the game in the maximum settings but with the same FPS. I suggest tome down some of those settings, like HDR and going only with bloom. Reducing the texture quality (from very High to High) will get you a performance increase.

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
    • Nexus of Gaming
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 07:08:19 pm »

Right, but when I did that, the frame rate didn't change at all no matter what settings I was running it at.

PPK

• Warrior Nation
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 07:09:09 pm »

Right, but when I did that, the frame rate didn't change at all.

That's weird. Put them down to Medium to see what happens.

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
    • Nexus of Gaming
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 07:19:36 pm »

I'll try that when I get home. My friend's said that perhaps it's my power supply in relation to my video card, but that can't be it seeing as how I have a 585 Watt supply. I'm also going to try using a fan on it later on tonight.

Could the temperature cause this much of a problem?

PPK

• Warrior Nation
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 07:22:35 pm »

The temperature could cause the video card not to perform to it's fullest. I am not sure if the power supply you have is enough to support that graphics card working at full speed, but since you have only a Pentium D...

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2009, 07:28:10 pm »

I use a 525W supply with 8800GT so the PSU is not the problem.
Its probably the CPU,  Are they socket 775?  If so I recomend an E8400, install one of those and watch your FPS double.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 07:30:27 pm by keefy »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up