GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 08:47:55 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Probably before your time, but ...  (Read 7065 times)

Greg-J

Probably before your time, but ...
« on: February 08, 2009, 11:34:49 pm »

Back in January of 2005 I did quite a bit of HL2 modding and thought a Goldeneye mod would be the most fun mod to make. I went looking for one already in development, but at the time too many people were talking about the mod they wanted to make and I'm more of a 'put up or shutup' kind of person so I quietly began work on my own that I gave the generic title of YaGEM (yet another goldeneye mod). I posted some map screens somewhere to share with people and was instantly contacted by a kid named Nick asking me to join up with him to create GoldenEye Source. I toyed with the idea, but ultimately decided to let it go when I couldn't get an OK from Rare and left it at that.

Fast forward 4 years and as a game developer I find myself interested in doing something on the side that isn't work related. I still have my first map and textures which is an exact 1:1 copy of the original stack/library. A few screens from way back when:

http://greg-j.com/misc/yagem/MP_Stack_02a.jpg
http://greg-j.com/misc/yagem/MP_Stack_02b.jpg
http://greg-j.com/misc/yagem/MP_Stack_02c.jpg
http://greg-j.com/misc/yagem/MP_Stack_tex_ceilwood.jpg

Map, textures and vtm's all made by me of course.

My intention was to create a much more literal interpenetration than you all are making, but I wouldn't mind bringing the map up-to-date by adding more detail.

Anyway, let me know.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
Re: Probably before your time, but ...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 11:49:58 pm »

It is, in fact, a fantastic job in mirroring Rare's work to the Source engine. Those are some really detailed textures and it is certainly a good option for a classic version of the Library, in my personal and honest opinion. I can deduce you have improved in the last 4 years, so I can expect a much better work from your part (I don't expect anything, I just tried to say that it must be much better... :D). Probably you could post some screens of some of your most recent work. The devs will surely like to see more recent and past work if you are looking to make an application.

I must say that I'm happy more people are joining this mod; it really needs more and more manpower to continue striving forward and the release of BETA 3 just brought more members to the community.

I wish you a happy stay here in the forums; post more of your work so that we can share some feedback.

Best regards,

PPK

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 11:55:34 pm »

Dude, Library Classic need to look like THAT.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 12:02:05 am »

Dude, Library Classic need to look like THAT.

Hell, I'm repeating myself, but anyway...

AGREED

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 12:07:33 am »

Hmm...I like the look of it, but im also partial to the style our mappers have of classics which is quite streamlined at this point.

Its not as blatant as yours. Its like a "stylized" classic. See what the mapper lead thinks.

Greg-J

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 12:41:21 am »

I haven't opened Hammer since that map to be honest. I had worked on JBMOD, Fueled and then YaGEM and after that I was done modding and moved on to working in the industry professionally.

I freelance design and develop user interfaces for 2d and 3d software for companies who don't exactly want it known they outsource these things, so needless to say I'm prevented by NDA from showing my work professionally. I also own a small game developer (3 people) and we don't release our game dev (currently iPhone, Windows and OS X) work pre-release either.

If you guys have enough mappers already, no harm no foul. I just figured I'd stop by and offer to lend a hand if you needed it.

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 04:21:06 am »

your map layout is pretty basic, and since you said that you haven't used hammer in about 4 years, i would be hesitant to bring you on as a mapper, unless you wanted to do all classic maps maybe.

but your textures look like they could be good, and you said you have experience with interface design, so would you be interested in doing 2d work(textures, interface, logos) for us?
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Wake[of]theBunT

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 05:06:56 am »

tbo we could use a mapper to focus on classics because there are still so many to go and people wanting a classic feel to their servers would then have great selections and not have to do revisioned/classic combinations ;)

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 05:19:17 am »

I somehow remember that name Greg-J. I've been on the project since its early conception, so I pretty much recognize most former developers or our community members.

I would be interested in allowing you to do our classic maps, and once you are use to Hammer again, possibly working on some of our updated recreations. What are your thoughts, Mike?
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 06:14:23 am »

I think the normal mapping is great, but TOO STRONG. It lends itself to being very repetitive because you can see the normal mapping from across the room.

As for the map, that's not even a valid sampling of mapping skill, sorry, and if you haven't opened Hammer in 4+ years you will have a ton of catching up to do. My vote is for 2D artist ONLY for now.

Greg-J

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 08:41:35 am »

I'm not interested in peddling materials and I get enough UI design in my day job. I've always been better at just doing my own thing anyway so perhaps I'll put together a set of maps that stay absolutely true to the original and release them as a map pack for anyone to use.

I understand your concerns though. No hard feelings. Keep up the good work guys.

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 10:51:53 am »

thanks for stopping by dude, we love to hear from old school devs. make sure to keep us up to date on your latest and greatest map making projects.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Wake[of]theBunT

• Retired Lead Developer
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 06:39:35 pm »

I've always been better at just doing my own thing anyway so perhaps I'll put together a set of maps that stay absolutely true to the original and release them as a map pack for anyone to use.

Once you get a pack I would completely support this and buy a server of 4-8 players to be dedicated to displaying them. If you ever want critiquing of direction dont hesitate to send me some screens :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up