GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 10:17:16 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Achievement Drafts  (Read 72556 times)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: Achievement Drafts
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2008, 09:19:56 pm »

Great idea, the achievements names that you see are all easily changed in the modname_english.txt resource file. As they are in all Valve games. I will implement this, but it might break my idea for distinguishing icons with a I, II, III but I think the point will still get across.

Each achievement that has stages is independent of the others, there is no reason to make them dependent thats just tedious as hell. Just like you could play Secret Agent/OO Agent for each level independent of your progress in the others.

Zippy

• Magic Member
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Zippy has no influence.
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2008, 04:47:11 pm »

I agree with that, you should have to unlock every achievement in level one before the player can reach level two and so forth.

I haves an idea. Do you mean that, for example, Level 2 achievements can't be seen until you do Level 1's? If that's what you mean, perhaps there could be achievements marked as ?????, with descriptions like "complete Level <previous level number> of <achievement name> to unlock this" or something.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2008, 05:56:12 pm »

But then you have an issue with someone completing level 2 requirements before finishing all the level 1 achievments.  Rare events might be missed, and progressive ones would suddenly all unlock at once.

Frankly I'm no fan of the level tiers or the simple play-to-earn ones like kill X players with weapon Y.  I'd prefer the achievements be rooted in epic Goldeneye moments, so a player's achievement list shows what the player has experienced.  The play-to-earn things I'd reserve for awards.  I.e., an achievement for earning Most Deadly 50 times.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2008, 06:34:27 pm »

But then you have an issue with someone completing level 2 requirements before finishing all the level 1 achievments.  Rare events might be missed, and progressive ones would suddenly all unlock at once.

Frankly I'm no fan of the level tiers or the simple play-to-earn ones like kill X players with weapon Y.  I'd prefer the achievements be rooted in epic Goldeneye moments, so a player's achievement list shows what the player has experienced.  The play-to-earn things I'd reserve for awards.  I.e., an achievement for earning Most Deadly 50 times.

Your formula can easily be simplified to "do X, Y number of times", which would then make your suggestion for a achievement void. How about getting ideas from achievements on other games.

Some simple ones I thought of are:

Arms Dealer - Touch every weapon in the game at least once.
Traveling Tourist - Win a game on every map at least once.
Ghosts Are Real - Go a round without using any weapon and without getting killed.
Manhunt - Kill X amount of people without dying.
Helping Hand- Play in a game with X or more players from your friends list.
Genocide Leader- Accumulate X amount of kills overall.
Caveman Warrior - Break all the monitors/computers in Bunker.

I'm sure there are thousands more people can think of, but I agree on the basis that "kill X players with weapon Y" would get boring.

-EDIT-

The Achievements don't always have to be positive either. Some examples would be:

Playing With Guns - Kill a member of your team.
Suicide Bomber - Kill a enemy and your self with an explosive.
Traitor - Kill X amount of people on your team.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 06:57:40 pm by JcFerggy »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2008, 09:16:11 pm »

You guys are taking this way too seriously. Achievements, in GES, are a way to sort of track your stats as you play. Since we cannot access the steam servers to store your stats I figured a different way, and that is through leveled achievements. That way you can see what weapon you prefer and how well you are playing with a quick glance at the achievements.

There are MANY achievements that DO NOT involve Kill X With Y. Not all of them are coded yet, not all of them are obvious to get (hidden), but rest assured you will get them if you play GE like a pro.

A good example is I AM INVINCIBLE! - Earn Most Deadly AND Longest Innings in a round while playing as Boris for the entire round.

And to further clarify, the only achievements that have tiers are the Kill X # with Y weapon achievements. It is exactly like COD4 weapon achievements, and conveys the same information to the end user (read above).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 09:18:32 pm by killermonkey »

ChronoSKitz

• A portal
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • ChronoSKitz has no influence.
    • Chronetic
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2008, 11:18:08 pm »

Traitor - Kill X amount of people on your team.

No, Bad Idea.

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Loafie, Hero of Dreams has no influence.
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2008, 04:57:30 am »

Totally. Plus it would be Double Agent, duh
maps in production: ge_temple maps released: ge_caves, ge_complex, ge_complex_classic
Loafie, Hero of Dreams is watching Big Love
fourtecks: you are watching basstronix?

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2008, 06:57:25 pm »

So anyone got icons for:

Klobbering Time - X Kills with a Klobb
For England, James - Suicide yourself with a grenade while taking out your enemy as well.
Live and Let Die - Be last man standing in YOLT (10 times)

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2008, 09:02:24 pm »

Here is one for Klobbering Time i whipped up.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2008, 09:42:56 pm »

We should keep the copyright infringement to one studio, methinks. : )
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Loafie, Hero of Dreams has no influence.
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2008, 10:41:35 pm »

We should keep the copyright infringement to one studio, methinks. : )

HE IS SERIOUS.
maps in production: ge_temple maps released: ge_caves, ge_complex, ge_complex_classic
Loafie, Hero of Dreams is watching Big Love
fourtecks: you are watching basstronix?

Retro

• Agent
  • Retro has no influence.
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2008, 10:55:11 pm »

I have one for ARYOU33?

33 is a reference to the band Coheed & Cambria so i thought of using their guitarist when he looks like hes shooting a gun

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Ruone Delacroix has no influence.
    • Nexus of Gaming
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2008, 12:48:55 am »

Here's my incredibly horrible attempt at a picture for Klobbering Time.

I've only worked with Photoshop CS2 for a good hour and a half total in my life.
Admin of {TLP} Tastes Like Pants

Proud player of Goldeneye: Source. Keep up the great work, team!

myrddin

« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2008, 10:49:53 pm »

<No Specific Achievement>

PSD: http://www.willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=43957

This is for License to kill!

Eh, if it were for license to kill, I'd go with an image of Dalton instead.

MisterSpigot

• Agent
  • MisterSpigot has no influence.
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2008, 02:56:53 am »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up