GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 05:42:13 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prop Modeller  (Read 11969 times)

uk_resistant

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • uk_resistant has no influence.
Prop Modeller
« on: February 19, 2008, 11:38:49 pm »

Hello to the GE:S Team,

I am graduate from Southampton Solent university with a degree in Games art & Design BA hons and I am looking to expand my portfolio and get some mod experience.

I am interested in possibly becoming a prop modeller and was wondering what sort of work flow you guys have as well as what kind of things that you need doing (if im able to know that info of course)

Below are some examples of my work:

cheers

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: Prop Modeller
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 12:15:50 am »

Do you have any other experience in game modeling?

Did you create the textures for the alien rocker?

What program do you use?

How many years of experience do you have, and do you have anymore samples?

Thanks

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 03:56:34 am »

Our workflow is basically the following:

The mappers let us know what props they need for their maps, often with photo reference to give you an idea of what they want.  Props are then assigned or chosen by the artists.  Once a prop has been assigned, it goes through the following workflow.

Model>UVs>Texture>Compile.  Work is posted in the forums throughout the process to get feedback and critiques. 

As much as possible we prefer people who can take a prop from start to finish on their own.  You would need to compile your own props, we can help you with this if you aren't familiar with the source engine. 

Props you would be working on in the near future would primarily be from an urban street environment (Streets) and an aztec temple environment (Temple). 

------------------

Your work has potential.  One critique I have for your alien images is that your normal map / bump is a bit extreme.  One of the project leads will be along shortly and you'll be given a trial prop to complete if you are interested in joining the team.

Do you have a portfolio site? Also, do you own the orange box?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 06:42:19 am by Konrad Beerbaum »
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

mbsurfer

• Inactive Tester
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 04:08:52 am »

I was bored, and did a google search ::)

http://www.jamesdegen.blogspot.com/

Not much else there, except the UV maps and texture maps are in there ;)

Cyan

• Secret Agent
  • Cyan has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 06:18:04 am »

I need to learn how to read, I thought you said Southampton Soviet University

uk_resistant

• Agent
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 10:35:56 am »

Sorry, I left out a lot of info:

Iv got 3 years of modelling, Unwrapping, texturing, rigging and animating behind me (tho the latter two arent my strongest points)
Everything in the scenes i posted was created by me (some photos were sourced from cgtextures.com, but were edited by me as well).

I used 3d max, photoshop and crazy bump.

There are actually other samples of my work on my website, at the very least they should be there. They appear when I visit the page (you might have to scroll down the page al ittle more!)

I dont actually own the orange box at this time but I do have Half life 2 as well as episode 1.
I have actually managed to get a basic prop into Source before (only once) so i dont think it would take me long to pick it up again.

I look forward to the test ( i have a project to do finish first but that will be done by the end of this week)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 01:59:15 am »

I place my vote to have him trial as prop modeller, I would like to see you develop your skills as a rigger as well, we are in a bit of a need of someone and you at least know your way around a little bit.

Sporkfire

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Sporkfire has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 03:52:41 am »

I really like his stuff too,

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 08:48:20 am »

almighty, im going to bump you to trial.

Go ahead and make a new thread in the Trial members section and ill get you something to do.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

uk_resistant

• Agent
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 12:20:54 pm »

cheers for the support guys
Pages: [1]   Go Up