GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 01:42:59 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aiming Terrible  (Read 8259 times)

grinningmongoose

Aiming Terrible
« on: May 17, 2010, 09:31:01 am »

I just tried this mod out, and I must say... the aiming is horrid. It's all over the place even with the sights. As I remember in GE, aiming with sites was dead on for almost all of the guns.

The guns shots sound drowned out, not very crispy.

The magnum and shotties are way overpowered compared to the rest of the guns. Maybe its just a server side thing but it felt way out of balance compared to N64 GE.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
Re: Aiming Terrible
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 10:49:49 am »

Hello and welcome. Seems like you're new to GE:S. Am I right? I probably am. If you could elaborate on the aim being horrid part, we'd appreciate, but before you continue, I suggest you start aiming properly and learning the center of your screen. That helps a lot.

I'll just let the weaponsmith speak when it comes to weapons power. I think he has a word on that.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 11:33:38 am »

Read the Beta 4 release documentation on the Wiki. Specifically this section which answers your first point in every possible way.

As for the gun shot sounds, most sound fine to me. Perhaps you're talking more about the reverb effects in source for when you hear gunshots in a confined area or at a distance? Be specific.

Magnum is perfect. Shotguns.. well I have to agree they are overpowered, they were super-powerful in the N64... Unfortunately the main problem is they're way too overused in weapon sets and matched off inappropriately against other weapons causing unbalance. This is more of a server-side issue, without naming names... there are a few popular servers that have shotguns in virtually every weapon set which is ridiculous in my opinion, given that shotguns were quite rare in the original.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 10:05:02 pm »

Accuracy of Goldeney Source weapons is rivaled only by Counter Strike, and then only on the first bullet, after which most Goldeneye weapons hold much of their accuracy, while CSS nubs are desperately trying to determine which way their spray is going to drift.

I believe what you are feeling is auto-aim withdrawal.  In time you will learn and if anything, feel that the weapons are sometimes too good.  After all, this is a game where people grouch about being sniped by a pistol at 300 yards.  If you can't hit, it's not the gun's fault.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

grinningmongoose

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 10:58:35 pm »

Well, its just in the 64 version, the accuracy was much better when using crosshairs compared to hip shots. When the crosshair is brought up, you could make precise accurate shots multiple times...

But it seems that in this version the cross hairs do not give that an accurate shot, even in bursts. They feel way too spread apart and even in many cases are out of the crosshair itself.

I first noticed this trend in HL2 when shooting with the pistol, there is no precise shot, its spreads all over. I recall in HL1 i could headshot people accross the map in DM with pistol.  Same with GE  64.

It feels like the shots are just a little to spread apart when standing still and using the crosshairs... Should be hell of more accurate.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 12:53:03 pm »

Its a natural compensation for the extreme accuracy of a mouse/keyboard combo versus the control stick. You can't possibly expect accuracy to be exactly the same as N64 it was a totally different platform and control scheme!

codemaster94

• codemaster94
  • Secret Agent
  • codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Steam Account
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 09:16:05 pm »

Well, its just in the 64 version, the accuracy was much better when using crosshairs compared to hip shots. When the crosshair is brought up, you could make precise accurate shots multiple times...

But it seems that in this version the cross hairs do not give that an accurate shot, even in bursts. They feel way too spread apart and even in many cases are out of the crosshair itself.

I first noticed this trend in HL2 when shooting with the pistol, there is no precise shot, its spreads all over. I recall in HL1 i could headshot people accross the map in DM with pistol.  Same with GE  64.

It feels like the shots are just a little to spread apart when standing still and using the crosshairs... Should be hell of more accurate.
I think that's because you might've used autoaim on there lol

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 03:41:02 pm »

With autoaim disabled in a 1on1 LtK Pistols fight, we often circled each other for about 20 seconds before someone died. (on GE64 ofc.)
In GES this effect only applies to the TK's or maybe if you use a gamepad.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 04:09:43 pm »

Yeah, you can't deny that GE64's manual aiming system was cumbersome and unintuitive. With mouse aiming there is no need to compensate for it with auto aim or perfect accuracy.

The weapons are more accurate than you probably think, I have no problem making headshots across cradle with most weapons. Just don't expect to be able to hold down fire and spam bullets thinking your accuracy won't degrade.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

codemaster94

• codemaster94
  • Secret Agent
  • codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Steam Account
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 05:37:00 pm »

Yeah, you can't deny that GE64's manual aiming system was cumbersome and unintuitive. With mouse aiming there is no need to compensate for it with auto aim or perfect accuracy.

The weapons are more accurate than you probably think, I have no problem making headshots across cradle with most weapons. Just don't expect to be able to hold down fire and spam bullets thinking your accuracy won't degrade.

On another topic, Hellbender from the OWS clan had said to fire in controlled bursts, and aim for the head. I need to take note on this too... :)

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 05:53:51 am »

Its a natural compensation for the extreme accuracy of a mouse/keyboard combo versus the control stick. You can't possibly expect accuracy to be exactly the same as N64 it was a totally kickass game that time, It's also was a different platform and control scheme was the shizzle of the time!

Fixed for shizzles

Spydow

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Spydow has no influence.
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 08:25:24 pm »

On another topic, Hellbender from the OWS clan had said to fire in controlled bursts, and aim for the head. I need to take note on this too... :)

Actually with weapons such as KF7 or AR33: aim for the chest/neck, it's usually 2 hits to the chest and one to the head and if I remember right you only need 3 bullets to kill someone with an AR33 by using this technic.
Once you know where the middle of your screen is, the technic can succeed pretty much all the time.

Same goes with our lovely Moonraker laser. When I was playing, many people were complaining that I was killing them in only one shot with my Moonraker laser, just because the weapon is very accurate and I was hitting them in the head all the time, where ever they were.

And again... same goes with the Bishop, it's a very, very, very good weapons if your aim is good.
To kill someone quickly with the Bishop, you've got to hit the player in the head every time you shoot. The way to do it without losing accuracy is to "shoot, hold your fire for a second, shoot, hold your fire for a second, etc..."

PP7 can be deadly as well, just use the same technic as the Bishop.

But first thing you've got to learn is: NEVER stand still and avoid using the crosshair else you're screwed.

I hope this helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up