GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 24, 2024, 02:29:12 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Whats The Word...  (Read 10896 times)

terps4life90

Whats The Word...
« on: January 09, 2012, 04:43:29 am »

Where do we stand for the next media update, its been about 3 months and i haven't heard a peep, yes i know we got 3rd party material and they all look fantastic, but whats going on.....i like anticipation as much as the next guy.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Re: Whats The Word...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 05:03:10 am »

There was official content displayed in the Dec 17th update.

Perhaps you didn't pay enough attention? Or perhaps third party content is beneath you.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

terps4life90

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 05:29:09 am »

I hadn't noticed that.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 05:35:49 am »

I'll be honest here. If someone doesn't like it, delete it/edit it.

We are working as hard as possible. However, we don't have the man power to push out updates fast.

KM is our ONLY coder. He has to code every single element of the game. Bots, Menus, gamemodes, everything. He can only work on one project at a time. So he might be working on bots one week, then menus another. He's doing a amazing job and revolutionizing the source mod community by himself.

So every small little bug you might see KM has to fix. And a lot of this is hacking up valves code to make these new features work. Really isn't any MP source game with smart full fledged bots. So when a bot picks up a weapon and the weapon stays on the ground, or then breaks the other weapons spawns. He has to look through hundreds of lines of code to fix that one bug. One of dozens of bugs. All while working a full time job, and taking care of his wife.

Mapping wise we're cranking away, but it takes a while as the mappers are having to make all there own models, textures, ideas, everything themselves. A full game team would have modelers, 2d artists texturing the models, then the mapper can slap them in the maps and be cranking out work.

Look at luchadors, and 4tecks maps. They created nearly every single model and texture in those maps themselves. Every time luchador submits a update to his map for testing, there are literally hundreds of textures and models that come along with each test.

There isn't one person on this team doing one job. Everyone has to learn new skills to make their and others work better. We are quite a amazing team in that almost anyone on the team can do any thing they need. But at the trade off of if taking longer, and they might have to learn how to do it.

Even the testing team is mapping, making models/textures and other things to pitch it.

Its hard for us to pick up new team members cause we don't have the man power/time to teach someone something if there not already a expert at the one thing. Someone coming it better be very good at there job there applying for and be ready to start cranking out work. We get a lot of new trials, but 3/4 of them can't finish there trial cause its just to much work. We don't ween people in, you apply, you work.

TL;DR 

We're making great head way, but we are limited by our man power. We have some of the industry best, but dozen or so people on there free time can't knock out a game in the timely manner we all want.

v4.2 is getting there. We have a lot of stuff that is close to being done, but just need to finish them up and start the grueling part of testing and revamping.

This isn't the post saying when everything is coming, but its just saying we're working as hard as anyone can. To be able to show something off, we need to have everyone wrap and and pretty up there project, and get it in game.

I'll try to keep everyone more in touch with how we're cranking away, but I'm not gonna haggle our team for content when its middle of school, people are married, and have families and important jobs. Specially now after the holidays, we should be settling back in to the groove.

Just as a little clue, currently v4.2 is on revision 3046. Each revision is a person submitting a change.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 05:56:43 am by major »
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Emilia

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 05:52:35 am »

A very good post Major and to the entire GES team, a great effort in bringing out a new version of GoldenEye to a very hungry community.
MaJoR: "This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo getting to be awesome"

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 12:45:14 pm »

I hadn't noticed that.

he means the new weapon models. believe me, there´s a lot of tension going on behind the scenes. luchador the magician pulls tons of models out of his hat and works on three maps at the same time. killermonkey the almighty coding terminator kills one bug after another and directs the whole mod from a golden laboratory, stroking a grinning white cat. I believe everyone´s working as hard as he can to present the best result.  it takes some time to create art and I´m sure that within the next update the mod will be just beautiful. a truthful tribute to one of the best games ever. bots spinning round the old maps, the new maps, shooting with golden guns, shooting with rocket launchers. the music goes BUM DADADA, speeding up the red corpuscles in your veins. heads are burning, blood is streaming, the fun is rising. people will love it. and the best thing about it is freeeeeee! all you have to do is waiting for the busy artists, getting it done, with heart and appetite. ;-)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 12:52:25 pm by The Cy »
finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 01:05:54 pm »

You could have worded that a bit better terp4life90, it did sound a bit rude. ;-)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 03:24:02 pm by markpeterjameslegg »

terps4life90

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 03:03:41 pm »

You could have worded that a bit better terp4life90, it did sound a rude. ;-)

how?

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 03:13:00 pm »

how?

Like this:

umm hi guys! hows it going?! :) well I was just wondering when the next media update was going to be! I am just so excited for it and I hope you don't mind me asking! I love all the great work you do, especially mangley, he's so funny :) xxx

Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

terps4life90

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 03:14:22 pm »

Like this:

umm hi guys! hows it going?! :-) well I was just wondering when the next media update was going to be! I am just so excited for it and I hope you don't mind me asking! I love all the great work you do, especially mangley, he's so funny :-) xxx

I praise them everyday, thought I'd take a day off :D !

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 03:55:44 pm »

So everything is done, except it all needs polish and tons of integration testing and killing bugs? I'd say the last 10% is 90% work.

Or as Shigeru Miyamoto would say: "A late game is only late untill it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time."

But good to know that there's a lot of progress  8)

liamcadhain

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 08:24:21 pm »

But in response to the thread title the bird is and always will be the word.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 08:42:55 pm »

Major, glad you got that off your chest.

I prefer our fans to be blunt about our progress. Frankly its slow, BUT excellent. I finally finished my last recode today. v4.2 has been through 5 cycles of recode updating beta 3 (yah!) code to our new standards of integration and gameplay.

Remaining work (according to my journal):
1. Full-Screen Help Display
2. Update Team Scores HUD Element
3. Finish On-Screen Objective Icons
4. CTK Rewrite
5. Asset download table for scenarios (custom content via python)
6. Teamplay spawn protection
7. Teammate "damage" notice
8. Make all the new client side crap toggleable
9. Spawn temporary entities from Python

10. TEST, TEST, DEBUG, TEST, TEST, DEBUG, CRY, TEST, RELEASE!!!!11@

11. Update the wiki

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 09:26:03 pm »

Major, glad you got that off your chest.

I prefer our fans to be blunt about our progress. Frankly its slow, BUT excellent. I finally finished my last recode today. v4.2 has been through 5 cycles of recode updating beta 3 (yah!) code to our new standards of integration and gameplay.

4. CTK Rewrite

11. Update the wiki

Really wish I could help you out with it man. I used to be a good BASIC programmer in the day's of the BBC Micro but never moved on, probably left it a bit late in life now at 37. If there's a trailer I'll be sure to make it my feature video on YouTube, and I'll be offering a download from there.

terps4life90

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 02:03:37 am »

4. CTK Rewrite

11. Update the wiki <<< LOL!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up