GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 07:43:38 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Types of players, the radar position and headshots  (Read 8762 times)

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
Types of players, the radar position and headshots
« on: December 16, 2011, 02:07:49 pm »

I read in a learning book of a friend of mine, that's about the art of gameplay, that there are three types of players:
1. People who don't follow the rules (cheaters);
2. People who play by the rules, but exploit the weaknesses in the rules (me, for example);
3. People who fully play the game as was intended (fair players).

Now, I noticed a way to exploit the game to my advantage, by keeping my weapon vertically aimed around the head, and horizontaly allign oponents player models with the radar in the GUI, which is completely centered.

This made it very easy for me to boost my accuracy to 40% (used to be around 11%) and headhsot percentage was also boosted (accoriding to stats).

Given that this practically gives me a crosshair for horizontal aim, and given that the radar in the N64 is in the top right, could you maybe considder moving the radar to the top right of the screen?

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
Re: Types of players, the radar position and headshots
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 02:31:01 pm »

hey, there are more types:

1. people who are totally drunk and don´t care about rules, people or gravity (me)
2. people who make their own rules
3. people who are terminators in reality (bigbird)
4. people who have a vagina (woman)
5. people who are terribly hairy so that they can´t see the weapon anymore (blind werewolves)

finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 02:47:49 pm »

hey, there are more types:

1. people who are totally drunk and don´t care about rules, people or gravity (me)
Are you trying to devaluate the statistics by saying you were drunk last night (Chicago server)? :D

3. people who are terminators in reality (bigbird)
Then there is always that guy that nobody wants to run into xD

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 03:32:57 pm »

Then your accuracy is no different from the players who intuitively know where their bullets will hit because they pay attention to their bullet tracers.

You are a fair player, Vincent.

Don't doubt yourself for actually using the radar and mouselook properly.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 06:32:02 pm »

Then your accuracy is no different from the players who intuitively know where their bullets will hit because they pay attention to their bullet tracers.

You are a fair player, Vincent.

Don't doubt yourself for actually using the radar and mouselook properly.
I'm not doubting myself, but I also think I didn't explain myself:
I don't mean using the data on the radar; I mean using the position of the radar on the screen as a crosshair. This wasn't possible on the N64 and the effect on the strategy, of the way the game is played, is changed, and the effect is amplified by using the mouse and having a much crisper screen.

It's like turning Mario Kart into Gran Turismo in a sense that it takes away strategy by inserting manouverability advantages.

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 10:44:19 pm »

So, your point is? Everyone has the radar at the exact same position by default and can use this 'advantage' - even unknowingly - as well.
Besides, wasn't leaning against your enemies part of the Gran Turismo strategy? :p

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 03:01:50 am »

First, I'll explain the Mario Kart versus Gran Turismo and secondly illustrate my point.

In Mario Kart, every moron can drive, pick up an item and fire it. Even though the theme is racing; the gameplay is all about decision (strategy) and not how well you can swing around and out-manouvre your team players. The point in Mario Kart is choosing you character with corresponding advantages and disadvantages, pick up items and decide when and against who to fire them, from your position (1st, 2nd, etc.) or to gamble for a better item. There is no way to get around this by being a better driver.

In Gran Turismo, it's not perse the car that makes you win; it's how well you can brake, accelerate, aim for a turning car to slam in corners (so you don't have to break and lose most speed) and aiming for the perfect slipstream.

Now the point in all of this is that in GE007 you have tweaked gameplay in which you need to lay out your descisions; you can't get around this with a centered radar for perfect aiming advantage over the intended gameplay mechanics. For example; there is no centered (fixed) point of the screen as your weapon keeps swinging around as you manouvre and also there is invulnerability time. So the point is that in order to pwn, you need to hide being something and take an aim with the shoulder button, or get a rocketlauncher to shoot through the wall while covered, or getting a more powerfull weapon and for what range.

GE007 is more like Mario Kart and GES it's all about having the better aim advantage. (in particular with the radar as a crosshair for the practically fixed weapon aiming relative to the screen camera) So with GES you have an advantage over the GE007 originally intended gameplay mechanics by having a better aim.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 03:05:30 am by V!NCENT »

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 06:13:33 am »

You're never happy, Vincent.  :-(
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 06:58:53 am »

Does that face look happy to you?
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

terps4life90

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 09:18:51 am »

Learn how to play the game, and quit bitching about stupid crap. It's not our fault your unintelligent or slightly dumber then a retard.

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 10:06:39 am »

You're never happy, Vincent.  :-(
If I wasn't happy with this mod, I wouldn't be playing it since alpha ;)

I just feel that the mouse sometimes gets too dominant over the mechanics, that's all...

terps4life90

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 10:59:29 am »

Vincent, My statement wasn't address to you, it was addressed to the idiots that complaining about the dumbest things lol I <3 YOU!

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 12:21:42 pm »

Vincent, My statement wasn't address to you, it was addressed to the idiots that complaining about the dumbest things lol I <3 YOU!
I don't know what's more entertaining; your obvious lack of troll talent or the fact that you think that recreating the GE007 experience is retarted :D

terps4life90

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 05:24:03 pm »

I don't know what's more entertaining; your obvious lack of troll talent or the fact that you think that recreating the GE007 experience is retarted :D

I was referring to the players that do not know how to decipher the radar.

El Dudereno

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 09:25:13 pm »

"Then there is always that guy that nobody wants to run into xD"...

like me bitches!  haha

I don't give a flip what tricks you use.  I never use the crosshairs.  I just shoot from the hip but I've been playing for awhile so like someone else said after time you get a feel for where your bullets will hit. 
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up