GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 25, 2024, 03:45:22 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Source games.  (Read 5728 times)

{EFC}Cobra

• Elite Fighting Corps
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • {EFC}Cobra has no influence.
Problem with Source games.
« on: February 19, 2010, 04:22:53 pm »

Well, in desperation and excitement to wanna play the Beta 4 this afternoon, I borrowed the sis's computer (Vista 32bit, 2g RAM Intel Duo Core 1.5 Ghz) and installed Steam, SDK Orange Box and GE:S 3.1.  I logged into a server, and the frame rate was retched. I was dead ten seconds before I even realized I died and already respawned.  I dubbed down all graphic settings to check to see if it was perhaps maybe the graphics card but it was not.  Still choppy video and sound.  I also started up my own LAN server, and same thing.

Being familiar with computer I did do a spot check on all hardware, all drivers are up to date and nothing seems out of place.

Any idea's?  Perhaps a problem with the Source engine, cause it also does it with anything revolving around HL:2.  Tried to start that up as well, and unlike GE:S where it was just choppy graphics and sound, HL:2 just locked up.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: Problem with Source games.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 05:03:50 pm »

What graphics card do you have? Valve games don't like integrated graphics chips too much.

You might also consider forcing a lower directx level. Try adding -dxlevel 80  to your command line options to GE: S

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 05:26:30 pm »

When I first started playing GES (back when I still played on consoles, lol) I ran Beta 1.1 on an integrated 82865G on a 2.6 GHz Celeron. I was able to get acceptable framerates on Library Classic, Facility Classic (sometimes), and Complex Classic by turning everything down to minimum and forcing DirectX 6 mode (not sure if this is still supported in OB). Your best bet might be DirectX 7.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 06:45:46 pm »

DirectX 6 is dropped in Orange Box.

Integrated graphics card is most likely your problem...  especially if it's a Dell. Integrated cards most often aren't equipped to be able to run 3D games, and for some reason Dell loves to ship absolutely pitiful graphics cards with all of their reasonably priced systems. Probably because only unwitting Dell customers will buy them.

(not speaking from bitter experience thankfully)
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

{EFC}Cobra

• Elite Fighting Corps
  • Agent
  • {EFC}Cobra has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 07:00:20 pm »

DirectX 6 is dropped in Orange Box.

Integrated graphics card is most likely your problem...  especially if it's a Dell. Integrated cards most often aren't equipped to be able to run 3D games, and for some reason Dell loves to ship absolutely pitiful graphics cards with all of their reasonably priced systems. Probably because only unwitting Dell customers will buy them.

(not speaking from bitter experience thankfully)

Well, that nails it on the head practically.  I have to drop it to Direct X 7 to get it to function even remotely.  Really bad thing is I'm practically running blind, Radar doesn't show, crosshairs when aiming doesn't show..nothing. So, this shall be interesting.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:09:44 pm by {EFC}Cobra »

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 06:55:21 pm »

DX 7 isnt properly supported either, Its in there but not supported by Valve even in TF2.  You wont see the rollign explosions when running in DX7 either.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:00:55 pm by keefy »

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 09:41:58 am »

C'mon ppl use at least DX8.
You cannot expect the game to run on a Stone Age PC.
We integrated fallbacks for things like the refract shader used on the bloodscreen to work with DX8 and even DX7 but many other things won't work beyond DX8.

I'm still waiting for the day when someone comes along to ask why he's not able to run this mod on his 2/86 computer.

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 08:30:31 pm »

What graphics card do you have? Valve games don't like integrated graphics chips too much.
Let me just go ahead and tell you that all Intel IGP cards are by definition graphic cards but they are uncomplete implementations of both OpenGL and DirectX itself.

Why? Because they should consume as less power as possible and only provide the basic functionality to run both a 2D and compositing desktop with Google Earth being the most demanding app.

Do not ever attempt to run any game on an IGP, unless it's ATI or nVidia.

That said... Source's bottleneck in speed is mostly in the size of your RAM. My graphics card is dead an I am currently using my onboard ATI HD3300 and GES is running like a charm on XP. PS: So get yourself a cheap ass 39,99 dollar/euro ATI graphics card with the second number in the versioning being equal or higher than 3 and the first number the highest. ATI has the most bang for the buck.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 08:32:46 pm by V!NCENT »

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 06:42:35 am »

I'm still waiting for the day when someone comes along to ask why he's not able to run this mod on his 2/86 computer.

Why wont my 2/86 computer run Goldeneye Source mod? I was trying to get it run, but the .exe says your pc sucks ass, please upgrade that shitty pc.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 02:09:06 pm »

You need the .com version of the executable, and you need to run himem first.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 05:44:04 pm »

You need the .com version of the executable, and you need to run himem first.

Ah, thats why. Thanks that worked! lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up