GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 01:07:16 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Trent's Bio and Reflection  (Read 45841 times)

mbsurfer

• Inactive Tester
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.
Re: Trent's Bio and Reflection
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 06:02:08 am »

Back to the drawing board.. ::)

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 12:26:33 pm »

I just made a realization about those spectral images. The first one looked like crap, but I realized it was because of crappy mp3 compression removing the details that weren't totally necessary. Arrrggh I think my ability to listen to anything under 320kbps just got destroyed. I think I'm officially an audiophile.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 04:24:50 pm »

Bass I was going to say, mp3 junks out of audible range noises to aid compression.

You shouldn't be upping your MP3 bit rate for no reason. You are an engineer, start thinking like one. The maximum bit rate you should output is limited by the maximum dissernment of the human ear. To say your ear can discern 320 kilobits worth of quantization is pretty impressive. From what I have read in the past, you start to lose dissernment at 192 ish bps which is why thats the gold standard for audio.

This is the same analogy as for TV resolution. Yah you can have 4000p TV's someday, but your eye can't dissern the difference from that or 1080p from the normal viewing distance and with a 50" screen.

Also, your audio perception is extremely limited to the performance of your output device. Most speakers in the consumer market can't render the full spectrum of 320 kilobit songs anyway. All this leads up to WASTED SPACE.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 04:33:19 pm by killermonkey »

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2011, 04:48:34 pm »

Whoa thanks for the insight monkey. I still have much to learn I see :)

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2011, 04:31:51 pm »

Whoa thanks for the insight monkey. I still have much to learn I see :)

Hey bass, do you have your own personal website? You could create one!

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2011, 10:18:07 pm »

Yeah, it's empty right now. I's one of my many projects over the next few weeks.

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2011, 08:06:57 pm »

I just had the most epic night. We threw a regional Burning Man party over the weekend on a private beach far away from the city. I brought my DJ equipment thinking I might have my own show in a big tent or something. I ended up throwing an hour and a half set as the sun came up. I've never felt so in tune with the crowd.

I recorded the set. I'll be posting it sometime soon.

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2011, 08:22:34 pm »

ftw

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

mbsurfer

• Inactive Tester
  • 00 Agent
  • mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2011, 07:36:34 am »

Alright I hate to keep bringing this up, but my girlfriend is begging me to get it done. I think it would make for a pretty cool christmas present for her apartment too. But I found this link that gives a diagram of the breadboard and everything. I understand I need to use tip31 transistors instead, but that tutorial uses code that doesn't listen to any audio. Where would you plug in your sound ouput from your computer/iPod? I've been looking everywhere forever  ???

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2011, 08:30:58 am »

I send audio information to the arduino from a computer using software I wrote in Processing. Processing has an arduino library that lets you control output pins from a computer. Music would be playing in winamp or something and Processing is listens to your audio output. That's the easiest way :)

mbsurfer

• Inactive Tester
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2011, 09:40:05 am »

I see in your code from the video you imported the libraries:
Code: [Select]
import processing.opengl.*; 
import processing.serial.*;

Then you assigned 'arduino' to communicate with the Firmata process library:
Arduino arduino; // Setup an arduino object to communicate with Firmata firmware

arduino = new Arduino(this, Arduino.list()[1], 115200);

Then I'm assuming, during the setup it's reading an mp3 from some output pin (that I can't find) at this part:
if(mp3) {
song = minim.loadFile("song.mp3", 128);
beat2.detect(song.mix);
song.play();
fft = new FFT(song.bufferSize(), song.sampleRate()); }
else{
in = minim.getLineIn(Minim.STEREO, 1024);
beat2.detect(in.mix);
fft = new FFT(in.bufferSize(), in.sampleRate());
}

So is this process code that you're talking about already implemented? If so, what do you mean by the output pin from the computer is the audio output the arduino would read? Which pin are you talking about? And how would it connect, by just a jumper cable?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 02:28:04 am by mbsurfer »

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2011, 09:30:03 am »

That is very very old code, haha. Procssing loads an mp3 off the hard drive. It also looks at the Line In with in = minim.getLineIn. Basically I have two audio sources available to the program; the MP3 and the system's audio output (set in windows recording devices to Stereo Out). A fourier transform is then performed, converting the signal to frequency information. The information is stored in a vector in the form of the intensity each frequency band.

Firmata gives you direct control of the arduino live from your computer. arduino.analogWrite(pin, value) will give a pin a value.

r = 9;  //stores the value of our Red output pin (must be PWM!)

bass = in.getfft(0);  //not actual command, forgot what it is

arduino.analogWrite(r, bass);

This outputs red light according the first stored frequency band, which is of course very low bass. This usually needs to be amplified. I generally multiply my frequency variables by an exponential function to expand the lows and condense the highs for a more reactive light show. You may also want to apply a low pass filter so that you don't end up with seizure inducing light shows.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:34:31 am by basstronix »

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2011, 08:30:21 am »

I'm getting a ridiculous amount of requests from big DJs and producers that want to be a part of this game. I think our soundtrack is going to break records...

:)

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2011, 02:12:33 pm »

That's great, because one of the most awesome aspects of GE64 was the music. For most mods, custom music is either fairly poor or nonexistent... by comparison we have a multiple hour soundtrack by a bunch of extremely talented composers and can always use more.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Emilia

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2011, 11:40:07 pm »

I would really love for the GES soundtrack to grow. If we could have some awesome remixes, that would be great too.

But your music will always be my favourite, Bass

:P
MaJoR: "This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo getting to be awesome"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up