GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:15:51 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Map Development Docs?  (Read 3869 times)

teekay2010

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • teekay2010 has no influence.
Map Development Docs?
« on: August 04, 2010, 06:37:41 pm »

Are there any documents outlining the creation of GE:S maps?

I'm creating a 3rd party map right now and I really haven't the best idea of what sorts of things will be required so that my map is playable in all current game modes. Things like: how many spawn points are necessary; ideal amount of weapons; additional entities that will be needed for certain gameplay elements; that sort of stuff. Basically, anything I need to know if I'm already experienced in Hammer and I want to start making GE:S maps.

I've checked the Wiki but it seems a bit bare in this area. Unless I just didn't know where to look.

Also, sort of a secondary question... but is there an SVN that an average joe like me can get into to take a look at some of the completed map source files? Or is that only for official developers? Just because this too would likely help me understand what is necessary for GE:S mapping.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Re: Map Development Docs?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 08:50:09 pm »

I hope this is helpful, this page tells you all the entities that you need in your map for gameplay and what they're used for by each game mode and how many you should have:

http://wiki.goldeneyesource.net/index.php/Entities
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 01:57:57 am »

Also, sort of a secondary question... but is there an SVN that an average joe like me can get into to take a look at some of the completed map source files? Or is that only for official developers? Just because this too would likely help me understand what is necessary for GE:S mapping.

SVN is Dev only, but you could decompile some of the maps with vmex or something if you're completely lost. Not much is required to make a functional GES map, you just need to make sure you have a healthy number of spaced out spawnpoints, token spawners for Janus and MI6, Ammo/Weapon spawners for the 7 weapon slots, and half-full body armor.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

teekay2010

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • teekay2010 has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 06:27:15 pm »

Thanks Mangley, the link is quite helpful. Don't know how I missed all of that actually... I must have been digging in the wrong place.

I'm not really completely lost, so no worries about the SVN. I was just curious to see what a finished GE:S map looked like to see if there were any tricks or anything I could pull from viewing a map. Maybe I'll try a decompiler some day.

Thanks guys! I love the timely & helpful responses I get in this forum.

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 06:47:59 am »

Hey man, if you need some help getting started on mapping, feel free to add me on steam. My steam name is dpmartin1. If you can't find me, just searching ccsaint10 in the community page should pop me up with the [GE:S BT] tag and I can try to help you get started on any basic questions/mapping tips/tricks you want. It's no hassle and I always love to see community maps as it brings so much happiness to our community.

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up