GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 08:30:50 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions on Beta 3?  (Read 23221 times)

Yoohoo

Re: Opinions on Beta 3?
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2009, 01:33:22 am »

Yah, this is Yoohoo the best LTK player on GE:S. I wanna say that Ge:s is by far one of the best mods I have ever played. I love it and it is VERY well done. Definitely deserves MOTY 2009. THANK YOU GE:S TEAM.

I have a couple of suggestions for the newborn mod:
 1) One of the things i hate is the way the 3rd person reload animation is too long, I.E whenever another player reloads their animation takes longer than the actual reloading time, this confuses me all the time when im getting shot by a reloading person.
2) New gamemodes, like man with the Golden Gun (If its already not available)
3) And finally the sound whenever you die can sometimes be louder than the music. And trust me, the music is so well done that I dont want anything louder than that.

Thats all i can think of now, and Again thank you GE:S team you mad a borderline perfect mod that me, and many others love.

1Rusky

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • 1Rusky has no influence.
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2009, 01:36:42 am »

After 3 solid days of playing (little sleep the first night ::)) I'll give my impressions.

Gameplay-wise it is much better than 1.1 in that it feels much more like the original, and you have to use strategy for everything. The weapons look, sound, and feel great. Bass and Audix did incredible on the tracks; Bass's Silo is unbelievable. The round based gameplay is different but paces the matchs nicely.

As far as negatives, too many servers don't have startarmed activated, which can be very annoying especially when there's more than 5-6 in the game. I miss being able to vote for the next map and many of the other admin plugin features that the servers had back in 1.1

I hope people will start porting over those community maps pretty soon to strenghen the selection. Overall, the game has improved vastly over all these years. I'd like to add my thanks to the developers for their work and dedication. This mod has grown since the alpha days ;)

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2009, 03:19:43 am »

MWGG (Golden Gun) is in beta 3 already. 
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

HK

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • HK has no influence.
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2009, 02:37:51 pm »

hi all
i was like dieing to play beta 3 for ages then it comes out just a week before my birthday and well i am sort of disappointed after playing only a few sessions.
i like how its all presented ( no intro vid ? )the joining screen, player model selection,  end of round report is nice, music is done really well only a few maps i thought the music wasn't right, just didnt fit the map and it was really bad ( temple_classic  is one of them)

its the gameplay thats just not right from the player restricted movement to the HUGE recoil on guns( mainly shottys i think )

sniper rifle if u use the scope the recoil is a joke ,dont use scope no recoil,aim mode is a bit fast /delayed

shotguns my fav weapons are messed up !!

the auto is no longer a auto, its like just a normal shotty but slower, recoil is so huge it moves the player head so much that the aiming is messed up,auto in any other game is AUTO ,it should be a BADASS GUN but it isnt

the pump shotty which i was looking forward to, is just werid ,same recoil as auto ,
maybe have the cocking sound for the next shell being loaded would be better as i would know that the gun is ready to shoot and not going to stutter on me ( maybe lag/ reload has a delay or something ,sometimes it reloads quicker with only 2 shells fired than 4, other times slow

KF7
in beta 1.1 it was just a cool gun to unload u knew u had a chance get a lot of kills with it
in beta 3 its a totally different gun ,sound,feel,
ive not used it much as ive not had many kills with it
zoom/aim mode is a bit fast zooming in and the aiming crosshair takes ages to come on

the short rounds are annoying , its like i just want to play, not stop every few minutes

random guns sucked ,everyone having mines at the same time ?

what happened to just looking for weapons?
i like alot of the new guns,game modes

We have plans for hit location HUD graphic, it didn't make it for Beta 3 and IMO is not that important with a lower player count. Even with a pointer to your enemy, on cradle it would be very hard to determine where they are anyway since its so far away (small angle locally for large changes in absolute position)

in beta 1.1 it worked ,u knew where u were getting hit from even on cradle u had a sense of which direction it was coming from !!

anyway its a good start for a new beta of ges i can see it getting alot better with a few tweaks/changes/updates  8)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2009, 04:10:26 pm »

HK, a lot of your suggestions are related to the new weapon damage and accuracy values. I will say that it is almost exactly like the original Goldeneye, please don't compare to the old Beta 1.1 those were completely crappy values. The balance and tweaking to the weapons is due to strategy, that is why shotguns blow back so much, they are not spam sticks, you have to take your time to get a good shot, same with the sniper rifle.

To sum it all up, your crits are down to the fact that you don't see the strategy in the game. Give it a few more days and it will become very apparent why the design is the way it is, you have to have skill to succeed unlike most games these days.

Thank you for your comments, though, we take them to heart when we model our gameplay!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 04:14:21 pm by killermonkey »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2009, 04:26:27 pm »

Yah, this is Yoohoo the best LTK player on GE:S. I wanna say that Ge:s is by far one of the best mods I have ever played. I love it and it is VERY well done. Definitely deserves MOTY 2009. THANK YOU GE:S TEAM.

I have a couple of suggestions for the newborn mod:
 1) One of the things i hate is the way the 3rd person reload animation is too long, I.E whenever another player reloads their animation takes longer than the actual reloading time, this confuses me all the time when im getting shot by a reloading person.
3) And finally the sound whenever you die can sometimes be louder than the music. And trust me, the music is so well done that I dont want anything louder than that.

Thats all i can think of now, and Again thank you GE:S team you mad a borderline perfect mod that me, and many others love.

Thank you for your comments Yoohoo! Agreed on all but the last point. We are working on Custom Third Person animations for Beta 4 (we didn't have an animator until recently). We are also working on more game modes to be released in patches and Beta 4 (Live and Let Die, Flag Tag, Capture the Key, etc.).

As for the special music (on death and round end) the sound is attenuated on purpose so that you hear the special music and not a mix of the map music and that music. This is how GE64 worked and it is really nice. Trust me when I say before I implemented that it was a mess when you died to hear 15 different musics.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2009, 08:16:25 pm »

The recoil on the Bishop is the same if you are sighted or not.

Shotgun has an interesting reload time issue, that's probably what you are noticing.

KF7 was absurdly overpowered in Alpha.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

snk_kid

• Agent
  • snk_kid has no influence.
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2009, 09:10:12 pm »

that is why shotguns blow back so much, they are not spam sticks, you have to take your time to get a good shot, same with the sniper rifle.

I'm sorry but I'm going to back HK on this one, you shouldn't write off some of his suggestions completely but HK you could have worded that little be better LOL. If you guys aren't gonna get rid of the head bobbing when shooting or being shot at then please, please for the love of god reduce the amount of it because it giving me motion sickness.

To sum it all up, your crits are down to the fact that you don't see the strategy in the game.

Well I hate to blow my own horn but I'm already a good player who can dominate matches on beta 3 and I can tell you from virtually all the games that I have dominated, it's because my strategy has explicitly been to avoid the shotguns at all costs (because of too much head movement). Even if the gun I get is a little less powerful than it.

If you come to me with either shotgun and I have an KF7/AR33/Phantom/RCP-90 you have little chance, you better make sure you get me at point-blank range and to the head with either shotgun. The shotguns themselves are fine, it's just the head movement is way to much.

Don't get the wrong Idea, I'm not making a personal attack on you or anyone, don't take it to heart because I think what you guys are doing (and have done) is great, I appreciate everything and I think BETA 3 is awesome. However you need to understand people like me and HK have been playing the older versions of GE:S for years and put up with the issues on a regular basis (like almost every night!), we are huge fans of your game so keep that in mind.

Beta 3 is almost like a completely different game to the older versions and takes time to get good at it again (it didn't take long for me though). Anyways with that out the way here are some of my thoughts so far:

The Good

- New Cradle tune  - awesome, adds a new dimension to the map
- Runway             - Wow, just wow, again music is amazing and the violin makes my hairs stand on end.
- New modes
- <3<3<3 AR33 (loving all the new guns though)
- Not easy to dominate by a huge amount.
- New players have a much better chance against experts than before.

The Bad

- New complex tune  -  after a while it gets annoying and doesn't feel right for the map.
- New Temple tune   -  It seems a bit weird but doesn't annoy me that much.
- Crouch jumping has issues, you can not fluidly crouch jump through windows on cradle. The game starts having a spasm when you try.
- Too much head bobbing
- Random weapon set spawns - Everyone spawns with the same weapon, it gets insane when everyone spawns with Timed/Proximity mines (or golden guns). I think It should be randomized for between each player not just each round. By the way what random number generator are you using? do you know about the C++ boost libraries? and the random number library?
- Map length time is a bit long (but maybe it's a server setting?)
- Everyone spawns in the same spot dies....
- Spawn points - KM I know you've been working on it so don't take this to heart but sometimes the spawn places are really bad, especially in team modes. Many times I've spawned next to the other team (like 4/5 of them). Do you not use any heuristics that take into account teams?
- I was killed by a sliding door closing on me...
- Sticky objects issues is still there and now players get stuck together too :(.

The Ugly
- Klobb LOL
- Sticky players :/

I'll add more at another point in time.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 09:21:52 pm by snk_kid »

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2009, 11:55:33 pm »

I'm not skilled with the Shotguns, but when I use them appropriately I deliver plenty of justice.
1) Rocksalt Shotgun is supposed to be bad. In GE007, it never appeared without All Guns.  You had to stick it against someone's head to do 99.999 (non-lethal) damage to the head. It was that bad.  It has been buffed, but it is not meant to stand against power weapons.
2) Assault Shotgun has been buffed and when used properly, it can defeat a player with full HP/AP.  Learn to use it and it will deliver.  No, it is no longer a death beam like it was in Alpha.
3) I will consider reducing the recoil level.

We are using the stock cmath/rand() function.  It shuffles plenty well, but the off-the-cuff weight distribution is clearly sub-optimal and will be adjusted for the server patch release.

Servers can set the match length, but the default may be adjusted downward, it is a bit long.

I did not maintain low tones when I reported that door to the mapper.  He failed to respond apporpriately and I may apply a browbeating.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2009, 07:25:52 am »

- Map length time is a bit long (but maybe it's a server setting?)

Yeah default map length is too long. I've been testing different map lengths and seems about 16-18 minutes is about prime. (defaults what 25-30)
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Sp1nn3y

• Local Graphic Artist
  • 00 Agent
  • Sp1nn3y has no influence.
    • Sp1nn3ys Portfolio Website
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2009, 07:28:57 am »

Yeah default map length is too long. I've been testing different map lengths and seems about 16-18 minutes is about prime. (defaults what 25-30)

Agreed 100% it just allows enough time to play a good few rounds then get on with the get go.

StrikerMan780

• Hellbender
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • StrikerMan780 has no influence.
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2009, 08:53:25 am »

No, if you turn off your radar (client side) you are still on radar for everyone else.
I clearly already know that. I was making a Suggestion. I wasn't saying it was already like that.

Check out [SM]'s HL2: Deathmatch Server! I've worked hard on making it the best it can be.

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2009, 04:10:22 pm »

Hello guys,

This mod is awesome and so addictive  ;D Nice work!

Killermonkey:
To do a 100% assurance that you will not spawn next to someone would be extremely computationally expensive.
How about calculating the distance of the nearest player for each spawnpoint, and then let someone spawn at a spawnpoint where the nearest player is as far away as possible? Maybe not a good idea when the distance between players is too long like in Runway and there are not much players on the server. Then calculate a nearer spot but not that close anyway. That isn't expensive, right?

Killermonkey:
3. We have plans for hit location HUD graphic
I have an idea for that. The health HUD is roundish, so how about a bended bar that rolls around the health HUD, depending on where the bullets came from.

Killermonkey:
you have to have skill to succeed unlike most games these days.
_O_

PPK
This auto-switch feature should be changed in the next patch, I think, in order to work more like the way Storm101 said.
How about an no-auto-switch option that does switches to a picked up weapon, but only if the player hasn't picked up a weapon after spawning. That way, if you have auto-switch turned off, and you are in the middle of a fight while being naked, you can get straight into the action so to speak. When you are in the middle of bullits flying around your head you want to instantly have the picked up weapon selected.

---

What I'd personaly like to see in beta 4 (just my personal opinion, this is not a request  ;)) are things that make Goldeneye so much goldeneye:
1) Rolling explosions, smoke afterwards and upon exploding the screen shakes.
2) Everything should explode. Chairs, crates, the whole bunch.
3) Rocket launcher and Laser
The above would make the mod soooo much more Goldeneye.

A sugestion about tagdolls and standard animation: Is it possible to make player moddels make a sort of over-the-top jump by means of physics/animation and ragdol later. This would make GE:S more like GE007, but at the same time ragdolly :P So that a player would still fall down the stairs like in RL but make a crazy jump or throught-grab before doing so :P That would be soooo totaly nice :D

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Ruone Delacroix has no influence.
    • Nexus of Gaming
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2009, 04:54:42 pm »

A sugestion about tagdolls and standard animation: Is it possible to make player moddels make a sort of over-the-top jump by means of physics/animation and ragdol later. This would make GE:S more like GE007, but at the same time ragdolly :P So that a player would still fall down the stairs like in RL but make a crazy jump or throught-grab before doing so :P That would be soooo totaly nice :D

That would be hillarious watching all these people "jump" to their death. That would be something to add in my book if possible.
Admin of {TLP} Tastes Like Pants

Proud player of Goldeneye: Source. Keep up the great work, team!

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2009, 05:21:09 pm »

They could animate deaths like those in GE007, since they have an animator now. I'd love to see them slip on a banana peel or fall in a pose like Jesus Christ.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up