GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 08:47:08 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SSL's Blog #2: ge_library  (Read 63685 times)

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
SSL's Blog #2: ge_library
« on: March 31, 2011, 02:36:08 am »

So I've been taking quite a long break from mapping recently, mostly due to the fact that I ran out of steam for design ideas for Library (The Basement/Stack combo) and quite honestly I'm not really satisfied on how Basement turned out and where Stack's headed.

So I'm asking the entire community: what is your opinion on the currently released ge_basement? What do you like, what do you not like? What would you like to see added, removed, changed, or how could I add more beneficial detail to the map?

MSPainted screenshots pointing to things to be changed would be greatly appreciated.

Basement is in the current build (and it hasn't been touched since then) and here's some previously unreleased screenshots of Stack:

Images Temporarily Removed

Any and all opinions on either map are greatly appreciated, and all ideas will get the map closer to completion and release!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:37:20 pm by Kinky »
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

arturok1992

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • arturok1992 has no influence.
Re: SSL's Blog #2: ge_library
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 02:45:27 am »

Thats a fucking sexy map ;).

Storm101

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Storm101 has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 02:54:33 am »

I quite like Basement. Definitely the most underrated GES map. Sometimes it feels like I'm playing Half-Life 2, though. Maybe make the lighting a little brighter and more colorful?

Stack looks awesome! I like the direction you're heading with it. It looks nice and fresh. Keep it up.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 03:03:25 am by Storm101 »

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 03:13:02 am »

I really like basement, But not enough players are playing it. In my opinion, Its fine to me the way it currently is.
And dang! Stack looks great.
I no-clipped through basement to look at an unfinished version of stack, The main rooms looked finished to me, Just needed lights, But this update just kills it.
I especially love the first screenshot.

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 01:04:55 pm »

So I'm asking the entire community: what is your opinion on the currently released ge_basement? What do you like, what do you not like? What would you like to see added, removed, changed, or how could I add more beneficial detail to the map?

-Well i think that ge_basement is rather cool, dark and gloomy very underrated- i only played the map once- alot of vents lead to camping though...would love to see a couple of more easter eggs (but i always say that about all the maps :) but its a really good map maybe better lighting?

for your Stack images - i would love to see the nericnomicon from Evil Dead among the books
http://coolmasks.co.uk/images/ta426.jpg (for Refrence)

but from what i see i think your Stack looks great- beautiful scenery, also reminds me about the libary from Batman Arkham Aslyum (only without Joker Posters)

Good Work :D

RobbeR49

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • RobbeR49 has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 07:50:13 pm »

I agree that basement is pretty good as-is.

I think you are on the right track with stack, altough I think it's still a bit industrial for a library. A lot of those cool old libraries have a bunch of ornate woodwork, wrought iron railings, chandeliers, and such. Stuff like those busts in the first pic.

And a shitload of books. Rows of floating bookshelves in the middle of the rooms would probably screw up the gameplay, but I would try and completely line the walls with them, up to the ceilings. Maybe ditch those standard bookshelves that there now.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 08:18:15 pm »

I agree really needs to be wooden shelves lining the walls and full to brim with books.

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 10:58:27 pm »

Find a way for me to have sex with your map. NOW.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 11:03:15 pm »

The positive feedback makes me feel a lot like working on this map again, I'll probably make a set of custom textures/props for Basement for the next release at the very least.

Does anyone have any good reference images of things they'd like to see added to the map?
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 01:04:04 am »

It would be nice if Basement had the Stack feel to it, Instead of feeling dark and gloomy.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 01:38:44 am »

It would be nice if Basement had the Stack feel to it, Instead of feeling dark and gloomy.

Isn't that supposed to be the feel of a basement... especially one under a library...

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 02:07:49 am »

Isn't that supposed to be the feel of a basement... especially one under a library...

The reason I say that is because the library looks well kept, for the most part, and not abandon.  Considering the main room has several light fixtures that are turned on.  Would you expect graffiti, gas leaks, and water damage in the basement of a well-kept library?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 05:02:17 am by Proxie »

WNxEuphonic

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 106
  • WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!
    • Euphonic.dev
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 01:09:14 am »

I'm not the only one who feels it's odd to have a loading dock underground in ge_basement, right?

Emilia

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 03:22:46 am »

Wow. That map looks really good!
MaJoR: "This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo getting to be awesome"

Mr.C

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Mr.C has no influence.
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 11:22:13 pm »

I was just noclipping through the level recently, and I'm surprised at how good the upstairs looks. Is there any plan to finish it and release it? Looks excellent so far!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up