GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 01:35:35 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass's new music  (Read 4336 times)

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!
Bass's new music
« on: May 12, 2011, 11:44:54 pm »

Exciting news. I've been producing music for the underground scene for a few months now, and I'm starting to become fairly recognized here. I was approached by SoundSex who offered to collaborate on his LP just to get my name out there, followed by my own EP soon thereafter. Lets Beat Milo Records will be releasing my EP sometime during the summer. In order to celebrate this exciting news, I've uploaded one of my latest club thumpers to SoundCloud for everyone to hear. I previously had no intention of letting any of my recent work out until my album released, but I'm just too damn excited.

I'll be dropping the name Basstronix... I did, after all, come up with it while dropping a deuce. I'll likely be switching over The Field Effect, or maybe I'll just stick with my real name. We'll see in the coming months.

Here's my latest club hit. For maximum effect, turn the lights down and the bass up  ;D

http://soundcloud.com/trent-robertson/resonance

SoundSex is amused by our mod and will likely contribute some dirty electro remixes in the future  ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 11:52:17 pm by basstronix »

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
Re: Bass's new music
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 12:18:53 am »

Thats really nice.. Are you going to implement that into GES?

Keep up the good work!

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 06:08:58 am »

I am not going to lie, I think it has a great beat in the beginning..but I always think it is going to build up and then it doesn't. I feel like some more complexity would have been nice to it or some sort of change in it. It feels simplified and not quite refined yet with some added variances. Anyways, my two cents. Maybe the title of "resonance" is the reason for this, I don't know. :) Good luck, man.

Saint

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 12:04:49 pm »

THanks for the crits, saint! This track is actually meant for sunday funday type settings when the sun is coming up while everyone is coming down... thus the chill vibe throughout. I might change a couple things here or there, I've got a couple of months before I need to finalize things.

CCsaint10

• CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 06:14:50 pm »

Gotcha. I kind of got that feeling a little bit while I was listening to it but I wasn't sure if I was feeling the song out appropriately :) with some slight changes in the next coming X, should be great :)

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 03:42:09 am »

Congrats on your success bass, well done.  I'm glad that you mentioned your intent for the piece, because it certainly helps to listen with purpose.

I like your use of percussion throughout, as well as how you have it balanced.  You have a very interesting synthesis of textures in this piece.

To me, it sounds like you have 3 distinct textures all occurring simultaneously - that sort of Rhodes piano-esque repeated chord-sound, the percussion section, and then that electronic twirly thing that happens every so often.  I'm sorry, I'm just not sure what the name is for that particular sound.

Anyway, I mention this because you said that it's supposed to be like a progressive ambient house track.  I think that if the percussion instruments had less of a crisp attack / articulation, and had more of a warmer, rounded feel, the percussion you have would mix with the texture of the background chords more completely.

The electric twirl thing really caught my attention at first - it was / is a very nice piece of color for the piece.  I almost hate for you to use it so soon in the song, because it's cool sounding and I feel like there should be special emphasis on it - like used after the bridge or something.  Perhaps you could use a softer sort of character in the beginning of the piece.  Who knows, just ideas.

Lastly, the piano thinger in the background.  I kind of wish it were louder so that we'd be able to appreciate the cool sort of ebbing effect that you have going on with it.  I also was hoping that you'd get out of that tessitura a bit to change the color of the chord, but I understand that would change the feel.  I think that if you even changed the inversion of it by just one, it would add a new dimension to the background.

I think that there could also be more tension resulting from the "bridge" so that when we get back into familiar territory it feels like it's more of a release into something familiar that we're celebrating in our drunken, sky-high morning daze.  You could do something called "stretto" where voices (of instruments or sounds) interrupt each other before they can finish what they're saying.  I think that this might prove to be particularly effective with the background thing you have going on.  You could layer the chords with similar figures that share common tones, and have it build until you decide you want to release it, and then when you release it, introduce some big fat super-low bass line (not necessarily loud or gritty) that signals that we're back home.

But that's just me, and those are just a couple ideas.  I think it's a good track that is effective in what you want it to do, but I definitely think you could take it to another level.

Keep up the tunes, man!

CCsaint10

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 04:49:04 am »

Don't take this as a bad thing bass, but try not to let all the fame and glory go to your head. We are all proud of you and how far you progressed, but make sure to keep your priorities straight and always look towards getting better. It is a very exciting time in your life and I would hate for something bad to happen.

Not saying you did anything wrong, but just wanted to give you my two cents and remind you to keep a level playing head at all times. :)

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 06:21:51 am »

Thanks for all of your well thought out points JJ. I agree with a lot of what you said, and will likely make a lot of changes based on your suggestions. Thanks for the tips!

Saint, no worries brother :). My #1 priority is school and research. Since I have a clear way into the scene though, I think I'd be foolish not to pursue it on the side.

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 04:15:06 pm »

Anytime man, and thanks for sharing your material with us!
Pages: [1]   Go Up