GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 23, 2024, 11:59:05 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mega Man 10 Announced!  (Read 7226 times)

Bloodix

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Bloodix has no influence.
    • Greg The Gamer
Mega Man 10 Announced!
« on: December 10, 2009, 05:57:16 pm »

This is pretty cool, it seems in the latest Nintendo Power, Mega Man 10 was announced for the WiiWare service. Most likely it will come out for the other 2 consoles as well. Here is a picture of it.

Part of the original level editor team during the Alpha era | 2005. I created the original Cradle map.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
Re: Mega Man 10 Announced!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 07:00:05 pm »

While I must lol a little at Bubble Crab being wrapped in wool, fuck yeah.  I still need to borrow someone's hardware to play 9.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 07:41:26 pm »

Damn, I need to hurry it up and finish V, as well as get VI, so I can do VII on a real SNES. (Rather than emulated)
Not at all looking forward to 8...
(I have to do these things in order if you hadn't noticed.)

With a number like 10, this will either wrap something up, or start a less-awesome WiiWare lineup of the series.
Or possibly continue to be just as great as 1-6 & 9. I'm down with that too.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 01:29:46 am »

You'd better stop using the roman numerals, or you might call this one Megaman X.

LOGIC ERROR!

*du-dunnnnn*

The article says there will be three playable characters.  In addition to Rock and Blues, bet it's gonna' be Roll, bitches.  Or old-model Ouromov.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 01:39:18 am by Viashino Cutthroat »
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 02:01:44 am »

10 ≠ X. *ghkt*
'Cept that I wouldn't call it that because they stopped the roman numerals at 8.

Three playables. Hmm...
Bass?
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo

JessEH

• Agent
  • JessEH is looked down upon.
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 03:15:56 am »

Man, I love that artwork. Proto Man looks sweet.

I hope the third character is Duo or King, so we have a melee character. Giant fist thingie or battle axe?

Speaking of King, does Rockman & Forte take place on the main time-line? As in after 8 and before 9? Or is it alternate? I suppose I could go look that up... I'm just trying to stimulate more Rockman discussion. AAAHHHH! Mega Man games are the only physical cartridges/discs that I kept and didn't sell or give away (even though I sold the necessary consoles, hehe).

I STILL haven't played MM9 yet (I'll be getting a Wii soon just for these games).

And it's about time Proto Man be a main part of the game!

...and the original Japanese games never used roman numerals.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 04:21:46 am by JessEH »

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 05:23:44 am »

RM+F doesn't really fit in anywhere.  MM7 was the end of the line for SNES, MM8 went to PSX and Saturn.  RM+F was, if anything, Bizarro World 7½.  It was based on 8, but recycled 7 and X4's resources.

Bloodix

• Agent
  • Bloodix has no influence.
    • Greg The Gamer
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 04:23:41 pm »

I cannot wait till this comes out, here is a more detailed image. (large - 56k be warned)

http://simimg.com/1HYgI
Part of the original level editor team during the Alpha era | 2005. I created the original Cradle map.

JessEH

• Agent
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 05:44:41 pm »

All of the main data bases imply that RM&F does indeed take place on the time-line. Which is what I guessed. The stories are always so vague and shallow, you can place the general events of any game on the time-line, no matter how ridiculous or disjointed they may seem. Even RM&F:Challenger From The Future is considered canon, I believe. Which is fine. The Classic Series Mega Man games themselves were never meant to be some finely crafted story. But man, it does get pretty retarded if you count every game.

As for MM10. It seems they've revealed another Robot Master: Commando Man (with a desert themed stage, apparently).

The article indicate yets another ice themed stage, some sort of stadium themed stage, and sewer themed stage...

My guesses are:

Ice Stage = Frigid Man or Arctic Man (maybe Snow Man, hehe... What other ice-type words are left to hang a 'Man' in front of?)

Stadium Stage = I hope it's some sort of extra stage. But I guess a "Sports Man", or the like, isn't TOO embarrassing.

Sewer Stage = Sludge Man or Toxic Man

« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 08:33:29 pm by JessEH »

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 06:13:48 pm »

Seriously this 8-bit nostalgie is just a cheap excuse for: we don't want to create a good 2D graphic.
I'm not a big fan of Mega Man and i just tried a few of the games, but i think they should aim for a look like the Mega Man games on SNES or PSX.

Next time someone will use Atari 1600 graphics, just because of nostalgic ofc.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
    • Steam profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 06:33:23 pm »

This.
Watch it.

JessEH

• Agent
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 08:04:52 pm »

Seriously this 8-bit nostalgie is just a cheap excuse for: we don't want to create a good 2D graphic.
I'm not a big fan of Mega Man and i just tried a few of the games, but i think they should aim for a look like the Mega Man games on SNES or PSX.

Next time someone will use Atari 1600 graphics, just because of nostalgic ofc.

The pseudo 8-bit gets the job done. And many of us prefer that style over the later, more complex styles (like MM7's over-sized chubbiness... or MM8's shiny rubber chew toy style... or Powered Up's super deformed 2.5D... etc). There's a certain charm to that old style. Besides, when it comes down to it, the REAL fun is in the game design, not the art. Capcom knows how to design 2D action platformers, whatever graphics they choose to use. They are the KING of 2D action.

That's not to say I wouldn't like to see some cutting edge graphics in my Mega Man. Hopefully Mega Man Legends 3 will be made, with modern 3D graphics, and fulfill that desire. But as far as making a great 2D platformer, 8-bit style graphics is all you need.

And this is probably old news for most of us here, but a year or so ago some fan(s) did an extremely well made 8-bit style version of Mega Man 7. You can download for free here:

http://www7.atwiki.jp/wakuwakusuru/pages/13.html  (click on "ver. final2")

You have to use the keyboard to control. Or you could get some keyboard emulating software like JoytoKey http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToKey%20English%20Version.htm and use that to map the keyboard keys to a gamepad.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 08:15:25 pm by JessEH »

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 12:57:40 am »

I haven't beaten the first one at all. lol!  Fuck me lol

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 01:57:59 am »

Kraid: As you admit, you aren't a big fan.

People who aren't big fans of Goldeneye won't get pissed about how sound effect selection for CMag or how pencil-like the KF7 is.

If you're a Mega Man fan, you can raise hell about the slight difference in handling across the six NES games or the alteration to some of the pixels on his helmet.

The 8-bit engine established specific metrics.  16-bit did not only change the number of colors per sprite and add paralax depth, but it changed the metrics.  The MMX series on SNES was, like the NES games, in the sweet spot.  MM7 was screwy, and they shifted toward the MMX style in 8 and R+F.  The later X games were so far off the reservation with 3D silliness that the old fans wouldn't trust Capcom again until they took getting it right seriously.  That's why Mega Man 9 was a slam dunk.  We want to play Mega Man, not 3D Robot Guy In Blue Armor.  The achievements and extras on the side are fine, but the core is what matters.

The nostalgia argument doesn't quite hold up because when someone panders to nostalgia, you often realize the old shit sucked when you are exposed to it again.  Watching old sitcoms on DVD will do that to you.  But Mega Man is simply a great core design.  Not everyone likes it, but those that do like it get a lot of mileage out of it.  Super Mario does it right, too, and if you look at the Mario series you can see that they were very careful about only taking small steps away from the formula and falling back when it was a mistake while keeping the good parts.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
    • Steam profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 03:47:49 am »

pwned, win, +1, and a can of YES. ()Y)

Someone summed it up perfectly. I've been trying to word the above truth since MM9's concept was released.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up