GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 19, 2024, 10:38:27 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [NOTABUG] Hayday Mayday  (Read 13730 times)

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
[NOTABUG] Hayday Mayday
« on: March 17, 2009, 07:22:14 pm »

After the release of the new version including the new achievements I kept trying to get the character bound ones.
Bond and Mishkin were quite easy, Oddjob took me some time but Mayday seems very tricky.
The problem here is: the Shortest Innings award will most likely not show up, because there are already other awards taking its place.

I recognized the award itself is still avaible (playing for a shorter amount of time with only a few players on a map I finally saw the where's the ammo/where's the armor as well) but it seems during "normal" gameplay you'd almost never see it (and I tried hard keeping my innings short (like 30 deaths against 10 of other players), suiciding in pits and running straight to players having big guns).
Most common awards to show up are Marksmanship, Longest Innings, Most Deadly, Most Honorable and Most Dishonorable.
And since there is the "The World Is Not Enough" achievement it has to be like this, because if Shortest Innings would be awarded the best player would never get all six awards. But that is why it seems almost impossible to do.

The only situation where you'd probably have a chance to get the Shortest Innings award and with that the achievement would be playing solo on a server for most of the time (so you'd get Most Frantic for sure) killing yourself often (keeping your innings short) and being lucky because 3 players would join the game near the end.

I'm just asking: "Is this how a player should do it? Playing like forever alone on a server praying that enough people would join and as late as possible so the Shortest Innings will show up?"

Please correct me if this is just my impression and there is way to actually achieve the Shortest Innings award on a normal (meaning: normal amount of players, 6-12) server.
You don't have to tell me HOW you coded it or WHAT to do to get Shortest Innings more likely or something - it's enough if you tell me there is a regular (not as decribed above) solution. Anyway I'll keep on trying.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 02:47:35 pm by killermonkey »

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
Re: [?Working as intended?] Hayday Mayday
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 07:51:57 pm »

Remember that awards only show up when one player stands out in a category.  If you are as accurate as the other accurate guy, neither of you will receive it.

Thus, you might need to wait for a match of evenly-skilled players.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 07:54:36 pm »

Ah, thank you. At least there is some hope :-)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 02:09:29 pm »

Although you said you don't care about criteria (it really doesn't mean a guarantee to get it as VC stated above):

http://wiki.goldeneyesource.net/index.php/GoldenEye:_Source_Awards

I agree that Hayday Mayday is very hard to get. I think after fixing the where's the ammo/armor awards it is harder to get shortest innings and frantic to show up on the board!

I will consider the definition of this award to be MATCH based instead of ROUND based. As in if you get Frantic and Shortest Innings separately during the course of a MATCH while playing MAYDAY for the ROUND then you'll get the award... little more difficult to code but not impossible

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 03:00:59 pm »

I don't know, if you're trying for it, you're probably better off with five chances than one in a match.

What you could do if you were feeling slick is calculate all awards, and if a player could get an achievement, give those awards priority.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 04:22:26 pm »

Both your propositons sound interesting.
But as VC said it would be way easier to get Hayday Mayday if you have more rounds. (and round- and matchtime are server options, right? so you could have a match with.. I don't know... like 60 rounds)

Giving priority to awards needed for achievements would also dinstinctly decrease the difficulty of earning "The World Is Not Enough" among others. :-(
More than that, you would need to code a priority list for achievements (or setting it to random) if multiple players could get an achievement if their reward was shown.
A third solution was to show all awards earned.
Unfortunately, that would mess up the round/match ending screen and furthermore decrease the difficulty for other awards as well.

After all, I think you should keep it the way it is now.
I like really "achieving" something rather than anyone can do it.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 05:10:08 pm »

I haven't even got this achievement and I spam her like a......*insert your own pimp, hooker comment*
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 05:28:30 pm »

Achievements are purely client side, the server has absolutely and can never have any knowledge of a client's achievement progress, so VC's idea is implausible at best.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 09:59:54 pm »

The server doesn't need to know anything about player status.

Calculate all awards first.
Check for any potential Achievment conditions.
Flag awards that are bound to potential achievements.
If greater than six, choose six from those. Else, award those then select any other awards that may be applicable, up to the normal six.
Profit.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 10:07:39 pm »

lol all awards are achievement conditions besides the wheres the XXX awards and lemming... it doesn't matter anyway this is all for fun gawd damnit

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 04:07:16 pm »

KM is right - it would only make sense if the server could get information about the clients - otherwise it wouldn't change much.
Players would get awards because of priority and wouldn't need them anymore since they already finished the achievement (which the server doesn't know) -> players who actually need certain awards would be more frustrated than before.
Pages: [1]   Go Up