GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 12:44:26 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blu ray discussion  (Read 40686 times)

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
Blu ray discussion
« on: December 21, 2009, 10:07:08 pm »

I wanted to start a topic to discuss the formatt, specifically with movies and some excitement on the subject. Most of this is my opinion, mixed with my findings ; so you of course may not agree with my words and feel free to discuss your views and what your excitement and plans for bluray are!

From what ive been discovering, there is more to the formatt than I had once dismissed, and a lot to get excited about ; but of course with everything there is good and the not so good aspects. When i first heard of blu ray I figured it was sony trying to monopolize present and future distribution for movie and videogame titles using their technology, and specifically something created mostly to merely enhance the encoding of movies shot on DIGITAL equipment that is the standard application of filmmakers these days. Obviously what blu ray can achieve and accomodate is far beyond a "present solution going forward".

=============================================================
    The advancement and visual promise

Any decent print of a film made at any stage in history can and will benefit with a bluray transfer, which not only brings it into the correct resolution for HD screens, but perhaps breathes life into it you wouldnt even have seen before. Restoration should be blowing your minds everyday. Several big movies in cinema from as far as 40 years are already landing spectacular transfers on BD. The wizard of oz looks just amazing from the screenshots and reviews ive seen, and for the record that movie is now 70 years old.

Every title depending on the running length of the feature and its extra features can double or tripple the transfer limits, enabling far more bandwidth capability of movies than the DVD formatt, when done right (what i mean by this is with a vc-1 encoding on a BD-50) making true HD actually deliver the superb picture quality (weve been under the misleading impression we had with DVD) geared to the present and future uses for high resolution plasma and LCD. If youve got a screen in 1080p larger than 40 inch, with a ps3 or high end standalone player with any 2009 release, you are going to see movies at home like you always craved.

IMO movies on a 50+ inch plasma in 1080p with bluray actually now far beat out a cinema experience as far as visual perfection and satisfaction. Looking back It WAS a visual candy to watch (for example) Castaway in the cinema in 2000, simply because it looked better in detail and more grand than anything we could enjoy on the then DVD ; However I can now be blessed with the 2007 transfer to bluray disc, and see this movie in the kind of specific detail I wish was present for my first viewing back then.

============================================================
    The audio prospect

From my view sound is not as big of a deal to me, I've been happy with DVD generation sound as being a powerhouse, and so far not yet got a system which brings across 7.1 from bluray. In fact I dont even get end result to my digital output from the bluray. At present I have the hdmi output to the HD LCD, and then normal redNwhite cables go out from the TV to the reciever presenting at best a basic 5.1

However, that still more than satisfies my senses and the modern titles have well refined mixing that it doesnt affect your experience really between DVD and bluray. Ive experienced the difference and so far my budget outways my need for sound superiority.

Ill likely come to this thread in a few months once my ultimate setup is complete, and tell you how crazy I was for saying normal output from bluray is ok, and that im a full convert to the charms of a bluray audio transfar. til then my view is "sounds cool from what people say but in the end WHATEVER" :P

What really excited me about BD is the chance for bands to make live concerts in 7.1!! I want to get "hell freezes over" by the eagles the second it comes out. They shot it on video tho i think so visual enhancement would be margainal, though im not 100% sure on that. I know that would be one bluray concert id love to listen to in a proper DTS-HDmaster transfer.

==========================================================
    The drawbacks

Unfortunately, as with all formatts, nothing changes in the department of consistency. A great deal of backlog titles from studios not willing to invest heavily are going to get less love than others. Already there is mixed results in the upgrades process. Nothing has been par with DVD imperfections but some titles have only minorly fixed the details and poor artifacts present in some mediocre dvd transfers, for the bluray formatt. Basically in those cases its because of existing quality in the print, the intention of the film style (grain still inherint on field of dreams bluray), or the transfer was only early mpg-2 or 4 from 2005-2006 infancy. Even though the resolution is correct to HD, it will always gain detail by using codecs higher than those early releases. 

So to be clear, anything that was transferred at the 2006 era of blu-ray should be met with a fine comb. I use blu-ray.com to check out what specs each title is that im interested in and the findings are that any classic title or present title will have a VC-1/mpeg4-AVC video transfer for a BD-50, with often than not a DTS-HDmaster and Dolby-trueHD or both for audio.

Moving on to availability, its clearly a slow process. Seems slower than DVD was back in the day. But now that bluray won the competition war for the future formatt, it will spread quicker over the next 2 years. The adventure classics indiana jones, back to the future, etc are being held back with no notice of a date... Im guessing for special features reasons and to create mass demand from fanbases or for anniversary dates. And though some other lesser classic movies have seen bluray releases, still at least 3-5 hundred what i would call my bread and butter favourite movies from the 80's and 90's still havent been brought across. Im ok with this because im still not in posession of my ultimate setup!

==================================================
    My philosophy

I want to enjoy as if for the first time, my favourite movies of all time that would look cool for bluray, and all those will be purchased. It might be easy for my own reference to just list a fraction of what I feel will amaze me on BD that I want in my collection. Somewhat in order of love for the title ;

[OWN]
    [WISHLIST]
    • Entrapment ~here~
    • Raiders of the lost ark [+trilogy] N/A
    • Escape from Alcatraz N/A
    • The Man from Snowy River [and part II] N/A
    • The Great Escape N/A
    • Castaway ~here~
    • Goldeneye N/A
    • Who Framed Roger Rabbit N/A
    • Titanic N/A

comedy/light/teen exceptions [no order : early thoughts]
    [OWN]
    [WISHLIST]

edit : refining list all the time

I dont feel as though in regular cases there is a point to getting comedy movies on bluray (or even drama that has no visual spectactle or action in it). For instance, I love the movie "liar, liar", and I watch it often enough, but why spend another 15-20 bucks when I own it on dvd? Thats a basis for my policy, a comedy is just never necesary. Yes there will be exceptions for me but usually my favouritest of movies only.

For present releases and ongoing, the releases that comes out for rental which have something spectacular in look or effects will be a BD version in my living room. Recently "inglorious basterds" was one such feature. It is deserving of a bluray birth, and I was not dissapointed with that choice, also "star trek" was a Bluray watch i had this month. However "the hangover" was watched with a regular DVD copy which I played in the ps3 that upscaled it to 1080p for resolution effect. Again, a stock-standard comedy does not need a bluray and my aforementioned view, is that why double dip when you can save thus spend more on geared titles.

==============================================================

Geez, that was a lot of content said, but its my new favourite topic :) So no wonder.[/list]
    « Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 04:46:19 pm by Wake[of]theBunT »

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
    • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
    Re: Blu ray discussion
    « Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 10:32:59 pm »

Just a quick question about you...

Are you human? Thats a lot of typing lol  :o. Back on topic...

I love the quality of blueray. Yes, the players are expensive than standard dvd players, but the quality blows me away. Like in Lord of the Rings movie, i can literally see Gollums face with lines/bumps/pimples, etc and where in standard you cant see shit.

Now only if the players go down in price i might get one. Walmart has one for $148 magnonvox brand. I dont like it. I prefer sony or samsung.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
    • Reputation Power: 179
    • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
    « Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 11:28:38 pm »

Open Box PS3, best deal ever.

Was $50 off regular price and then I bugged the manager to mark it down a bit more.
    Best part was I inspected it first, thing was clearly opened, but they didn't know how to work it..  mint condition :D

I have seen every Bond movie in Blu-ray..  all I can say is W0W!  So clear,  they did a great job restoring them.
    « Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 11:30:50 pm by Enzo.Matrix »
    GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
    Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
    -GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
    • Retired Lead Developer
    • Reputation Power: 346
    • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
      • DroidMonkey Apps
    « Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 11:46:47 pm »

they did a great job restoring them.

Restoration my ass. They took the original film version and didn't compress it as much because they have more space. The only form of restoration would be brightness/contrast fixes and saturation adjustments. Other than that it's just a matter of digitization which is directly related to the amount of space your movie will take up.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
    • Retired Lead Developer
    • Reputation Power: 270
    • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
    « Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 11:56:38 pm »

Sorry, I have to admit I skipped 70% of that text wall, but I get the gist of it.

For me.. I have to say Blu-ray and HD is a fad and I don't think watching the programmes and movies I love with better picture and sound quality is going to enhance my enjoyment of them. Not unless I have a television the size of a wall, in which case quality is a necessity.

Things like Blu-ray and HD aren't yet worth the money anyway, until they actually reach a price where they're really competing with standard DVD.

Most people already have lots of movies on standard DVD and aren't going to go and replace their whole collection with Blu-ray versions.

For now I couldn't care less until I'm convinced otherwise...
    Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
    • Reputation Power: 179
    • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
    « Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 12:00:59 am »

Well you are partially correct Mangley,  it is a fad.   But all current tech is.

The real problem is that they already have the replacement for Blu-ray before it even won the war vs HD.

also bite me Monkey :p  I looks better than it could from DVD..
    GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
    Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
    -GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
    • Retired Lead Developer
    • Reputation Power: 108
    • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
      • Goldeneye Source
    « Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 05:27:49 am »

For me, as a product of VHS, I remember a time when quality didnt overly matter to how much you enjoyed a movie. And more the opposite, movies with rough blurred quality and a tape with natural glitches from the rental shop actually was cool and gave you a sense the movie was timeless and loved by a whole body of people that it physical deteriorated the thing.

Im not getting on board this technology because Im a videophile, but more because I remember seeing those old versions of ET and jaws and indiana jones when i didnt know better, the digital age wasnt here...and now the digital age isnt displaying infancy limits, and I see screenshots of the blu-ray counterparts and i find it cant be argued im not now getting my moneys worth to be blown away and re-discover my favourites. I think "how can I as a fan live with my mediocre dvd transfer when other fans are seeing it the way it should be?"

======================================

First ones are bluray scaled to 720p by blu-ray.com, second is the DVD transfer at that resolution. ME getsing topgun bluray as soon as I can.
    « Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 10:05:24 am by Wake[of]theBunT »

teekay2010

• Agent
    • Reputation Power: 0
    • teekay2010 has no influence.
    « Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 01:59:49 am »

I bought a fantastic laptop... it's absolutely perfect right now. I can play GE:S with no lag... even with all of the settings cranked. I start to see extremely minor, tolerable lag when I put my Anti-aliasing settings up past 4x. Amazing! In regards to this post... it came with a Blu-Ray player.

I bought the Austin Powers trilogy, Ghostbusters (of course!), and a few other films. The Austin Powers films weren't the best quality... rather than doing what MGM did with James Bond and go back to the original camera negatives, Austin Powers appeared to be transferred from a well cleaned film copy, so there's a noticeable glow around white objects and an overall shake to the entire film like the sprockets were misaligned a tad. Way better than DVD, but not the greatest quality.

As for Ghostbusters... it seems like very little was done to clean up the transfer. It's extremely grainy and... old looking. Amazing movie though, so I can't really complain.

I read the first post of the thread, and the first few listed I CAN'T wait for... I want them like, NOW PLEASE!
    • Indiana Jones
    • Jurassic Park
    • Back to the Future [trilogy]
    that and Star Wars... which was recently announced and will be out soon (aka next year). Then I will be set.

It seems like most old movies look like shit in Blu-Ray (unless the companies spend lots of time and money restoring the films), and most new movies look amazing. Makes sense.

Zombieland looked amazing in 1080p IMO.

Blu-Ray is a fad and I'm sure something will replace it that lets you see 2K to 4K resolution... but that won't be for a while (I hope! hehe)

Mike [fourtecks]

• Disregard KM, acquire death threats.
    • Retired Lead Developer
    • Reputation Power: 19
    • Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.
    « Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 03:18:22 am »

I hate when they make the menus so complicated it makes my blu-ray player fart. District 9 is the worst offender out of the titles I own. Wait for player to boot up --> insert disk --> load --> load --> preview! --> preview! -->  preview! --> load --> load --> select which menu graphics you want --> load --> load --> laggy as hell interface --> manage to select play and load again until movie plays. Jebus cripes.

The one that works the best for me is There Will Be Blood. Loads right the fuck up, no bullshit complicated menus, watch the damn movie.
    ge_facility, ge_facility_backzone, ge_control

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
    • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
    « Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 03:22:38 am »

I hate when they make the menus so complicated it makes my blu-ray player fart. District 9 is the worst offender out of the titles I own. Wait for player to boot up --> insert disk --> load --> load --> preview! --> preview! -->  preview! --> load --> load --> select which menu graphics you want --> load --> load --> laggy as hell interface --> manage to select play and load again until movie plays. Jebus cripes.

The one that works the best for me is There Will Be Blood. Loads right the fuck up, no bullshit complicated menus, watch the damn movie.

Your post reminds of this funny picture...

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
    • 00 Agent
    • Reputation Power: 12
    • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
    « Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 03:28:09 am »

Hilarious but unfortunately true. >.<

Since I do not have a blu-ray player, it doesn't concern me (well, I gotta live with DVD quality, I guess), but I think I'll just wait for the next video disc generation.
    Pages: [1]   Go Up