GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:05:25 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cry Engine development kit on Steam  (Read 3715 times)

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
Cry Engine development kit on Steam
« on: May 29, 2014, 03:53:46 am »

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/28/cryengine-steam/

Sitting all pretty-like at the top of Steam's software roster is the new addition of the CryEngine toolkit and source code. For a $10/£6 monthly subscription, developers can license one of the beefiest and feature-rich graphics generators out there for technical boosts such as "perspective-correct volumetric soft shadows" or "procedural object deformation"

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
Re: Cry Engine development kit on Steam
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 05:58:32 am »

It seems subscription is the next big thing the companies try out.

I don't like it.

Even less considdering that UDK and previous Cryengine SDK were free
and only had their royalty if you're making money with selling a game based on it.

Now you have to pay $20/month to stay up-to-date with UE4, $10/month for CryEngine SDK and don't forget Adobe CC stuff.

While it doesn't look to expensive at first, you will pay $120 a year just for beeing able to use the SDK (240+Royalty for UE4).

Ok, you have full Source code access and for Studios that actually produce games with them it might be worth it.
But all the ppl that only use the engines for educational purpose and hobby have a huge disadvantage.

Beside that, i don't see a possibility to channel the subscription on the Steam version of CE.

I know it's possible with UE4 to do that, so in case you don't need an update it would cost $20 at best.

Ofc. they will make you want to buy updates on a regular base since the current versions of both UE4 and CE SDK have bugs and missing features.

Oh... ofc. if you're working with a team, every member has to pay the $20/month.

IMO they (Epic and Crytek) should offer a free version and charge you only when publishing commercial stuff.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 02:31:10 am »

I'm glad I bought one of the few remaining copies of Adobe CS6, renting software is insanity IMO.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 05:43:15 am »

I'm glad I bought one of the few remaining copies of Adobe CS6, renting software is insanity IMO.
Same here. My main concern with these subscription models is that you never actually own something.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 06:12:59 am by kraid »
Pages: [1]   Go Up