Editing and Customization > Resources, Tools, Tips & Workarounds

3ds Modeling Tool for Source

(1/12) > >>

wallworm:
I'm not sure how many people here have ever taken the time to make a model for the Source game engine. In case you have, you know what I mean when I say that it's a giant pain-in-the-@ss!

Well I've been working on taking a lot of that pain away... well as long as you use 3ds Max: The Wall Worm Model Tools.

Key Features:

* Automatically generates a QC text file for your model
* Can automatically generate convex collision hulls for your model (not yet implemented)
* Allows you to pick your own custom collision model if you don't want to use the auto-generated model
* Auto-generate LOD models of your model
* Gives you a visual representation inside Max of the limits (range) tied to each LOD model which is especially helpful if you are also building your level design inside of Max (with Convexity)
* Visually set the $illumposition position
* Assign a surface property to your model from inside the Max interface
* Set various model flags including $staticprop, $opaque and $mostlyopaque, $mass and $automass
* Will automatically create textures for your model and each LOD (not yet implemented)
* Automatically makes layers in the layer manager for the model, hull, LODs and helpers
* You can select LOD objects in layer manager and tweak their Multi-Res settings or edit the LODs to your liking after they are created

Here is a screen shot of the tool (at version 0.85:

Anyway, it was even featured on the front page of Polycount News on Nov. 24.

Anyway, I figured I'd share it here since I recently re-discovered the world of Goldeneye! If you use the tool, please feel free to share your experience, ideas and suggestions.

Mangley:
Excellent work. Yes, there has been some discussion and excitement between the developers about this tool. I myself am also interested in it. What versions of 3DS Max are supported?

wallworm:

--- Quote from: Mangley on December 08, 2010, 08:42:42 pm ---Excellent work. Yes, there has been some discussion and excitement between the developers about this tool. I myself am also interested in it. What versions of 3DS Max are supported?

--- End quote ---

I have been developing it in Max 2011. I assume it works in 2010... but otherwise I don't know. A friend who uses Max 5 for testing confirms it doesn't work for Max 5... he may help retrofit it for older versions. I personally own back to Max 2008 so can't really test further back.

There are many features that I plan on adding to the tool... but it may be after the new year before there are any significant updates. The ability to use the tool on a hierarchy of animated objects is the next main change... though I may add some minor features before then.

wallworm:
Today I've updated to version 0.85... added $masscenter helper control... and fixed the error in the QC where you might see a compile error about a file named "30" (or another number). It was a bad line in the QC for the FPS where the FPS number was in the wrong sequence for the idle sequence line.

major:
I'm not a modeler(yet), but loving the the support and community feel of this. Great to see open community type app.

Best of luck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version