GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 02:24:42 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions on Beta 3?  (Read 23251 times)

Meliadoul2k

• Pretty Gangsta Myself
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Meliadoul2k has no influence.
Opinions on Beta 3?
« on: February 07, 2009, 11:12:12 pm »

I'm just going to start by saying I absolutely loved it. It's very addicting and has me reminisce about playing the original GoldenEye 007, but for some of the wrong reasons. While I really enjoyed playing, it felt things were missing, which is common for a beta, but all the more annoying.

With the radar you can see people close to you. As cool it may sound from a perspective of somebody who did not play the game, it's just annoying. The thrill I get from turning a corner in an FPS and not knowing if my enemy's there enhances my experience. It's relatively minor and most people would probably not relate to my logic, but for the ones who do, I would recommend creating a mode called Stealth (or whatever) where you never appear on radar if you fire with a melee or silent weapon.

Spawning is another issue. I usually spawn right in front of somebody or into the middle of a gun fight. It could also work the other way around. If I know the area is clear I'll turn around. Somebody spawns behind me and busts a few caps in my head. This problem is apparent in many FPS games and is definitely a hard issue to solve. I can't really give any suggestions but it maybe an issue that should be looked upon.

My last gripe and probably the most important is something that can be easily fixed. When you're hit all you see is your health bar. That's it. It would help some much if you could see a red blur on the screen to tell where somebody is shooting from. I know you could just use the radar, but on maps like Craddle where people snipe you from outside your range - it's just plain tedious.

I know the GE: Source team wants to recreate that nostalgia factor you felt while playing the original GE007, however the game was not perfect. In a remake, you usually see that the key elements remain the same with minor tweaks to the overall gameplay. That's exactly what I think GE: Source should be like. If you recreate the same exact game GE007 was an added prettier graphics you would lose some newcomers who are used to the FPS games by today's standards.

Those are my opinions. Post some of your impressions or comment on mine. Thanks for reading.  ;)

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
Re: Opinions on Beta 3?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 11:27:28 pm »

One, radar is radar, i disagree with that. However, I agree with points two and three.

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

eliteghost

• Agent
  • eliteghost has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 11:37:33 pm »

I agree with point 3 somewhat and there is an option to turn off the radar, it's up to the server admin. My biggest gripe is the lack of polish. It's not massive but it's annoying on cradle when my gun starts jittering because I brushed the wall. Besides that this is amazing.

Meliadoul2k

• Pretty Gangsta Myself
  • Secret Agent
  • Meliadoul2k has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 12:03:45 am »

I agree with point 3 somewhat and there is an option to turn off the radar, it's up to the server admin. My biggest gripe is the lack of polish. It's not massive but it's annoying on cradle when my gun starts jittering because I brushed the wall. Besides that this is amazing.
Nobody does it and nobody ever joins my games, so I'm always stuck at that.

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 12:11:08 am »

The spawning issue really only comes into effect because there are too many people in a server and the map can't support it very well.  Smaller servers for smaller maps is the answer for that.  That said, some of the maps can support more players while keeping gameplay intact. 
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

Storm101

• 00 Agent
  • Storm101 has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 12:17:01 am »

Am I the only one who hasn't been using the radar mainly because I'm too used to Beta 1 and forget it's there? lol

I agree with the health bar thing. There were a few times where I couldn't figure out who was sniping me on Runway.

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 12:35:43 am »

glad you liked the game

1. there is an option for you to turn off your radar in the menu. and if you want you can join a server that has the radar turned off globally.

2. yea spawning is just an issue with all FPS games we haven't figured out a perfect solution yet. for now your best bet is just to join a server with around 12 people those seem to have very little issue with people spawning behind you.

3.yea i was hoping for some kind of directional indication as well. we might squeak this into beta 4 if i can convince the other devs to have it implemented.

thanks for the feedback dude if you find more stuff your not happy with make sure to let us know we are listening to get a consensus from the community as to what the game needs to become.

Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Boxiii

• Teh Boxman
  • Agent
  • Boxiii has no influence.
    • myspace.com/meismatt5
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 01:55:47 am »

I love the new update, hopefully this will get more people playing it. I don't have any major issues with it, just stuff that has to do with the servers and not the game itself. I feel like it catches the feel of the classic goldeneye, and I can't wait to see what else you guys change and add. ;D
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 02:57:35 am »

I am going to feedback on your feedback from the programmer's perspective by point:

1. You can turn off the radar for yourself no matter what the server setting is (with exception to MWGG and two man YOLT when it is forced on for gameplay reasons). Just go to the OPTIONS menu then click MULTIPLAYER, then ADVANCED OPTIONS in the lower right. It's one of the check boxes.

2. There is a "good enough" enemy avoidance spawn code in place already. This is entirely coded by me in house and is not in any other game. The problem lies in the fact that you are playing on maps designed for 16 players MAX, with maybe 20 spawn point locations. To do a 100% assurance that you will not spawn next to someone would be extremely computationally expensive. So, as with almost everything in the video game world, we cheat a little bit and choose four random spawn points and then choose the one with the LEAST number of enemies within 512 inches of the spawn point. When you up the players, it becomes almost impossible to find a "safe haven" so sorry, this won't be ever be fixed 100%.

3. We have plans for hit location HUD graphic, it didn't make it for Beta 3 and IMO is not that important with a lower player count. Even with a pointer to your enemy, on cradle it would be very hard to determine where they are anyway since its so far away (small angle locally for large changes in absolute position)

Mike [fourtecks]

• Disregard KM, acquire death threats.
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 03:43:28 am »

I recommend an 8 player server. I played 16man basement_classic and it was just NUTS. Some of the bigger maps like control can handle more people, but I still like the 8 player average for everything. I feel the servers made a mistake by having such high player counts.
ge_facility, ge_facility_backzone, ge_control

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 04:35:33 am »

Well that said opinions shouldnt make the decision of what gameplay should be for the entire playerbase.

I see people complain every so often and i wonder why? They can easily join the 8-12 man servers if that is what they prefer, there are plenty. Right now the range of servers' numbers are fine, their "conditions" are not refined yet. This is causing clustered and somewhat annoying scenarios for certain players (who prefer smaller servers), they will hopefully be educated to leave any server over 14 to find themselves a type of gameplay more suiting them.

It is not our game at fault, it is that we let servers run their own servers without dictating standards and hardlimits. Education is the biggest way we will reach a balance in the minds of all players. Any server-hosts or if you know serverhosts from GE:S turn them onto today's wrap up post on this forum ;)

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 04:37:14 am »

Agreed, if people are going to run 16+ man servers, then they need to fix their map cycles to include only the larger maps, such as runway, egyptian, control, etc.
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

StrikerMan780

• Hellbender
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • StrikerMan780 has no influence.
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 05:54:10 am »

Nobody does it and nobody ever joins my games, so I'm always stuck at that.
I think you can turn off the Radar on your end while the server still has Radars ON, to give you back the thrill of not knowing where people are. Only downside, is other still can see you on radar. Unless something was done that if you turn radar off, you disappear from other people's radars.

Check out [SM]'s HL2: Deathmatch Server! I've worked hard on making it the best it can be.

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 06:07:13 am »

No, if you turn off your radar (client side) you are still on radar for everyone else.
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 11:05:21 am »

I agree with Meliadoul2k. Although this is far beyond a port to the Source engine; I see it more as a recreation based on the fundamental aspects of gameplay that made GE007 one of the FPS greats. Some bugs are still in BETA 3, but there is a reason for that name. They will be corrected in a next release, that's for sure.

So far I've enjoyed it a lot, but I've been dying more that I did on BETA 1. That's probably because the gameplay has changed a bit and I haven't gotten used to it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up