GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 01:45:11 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Minor Bot Issues  (Read 7080 times)

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
Some Minor Bot Issues
« on: August 04, 2012, 09:20:00 am »

First off, the bots are very impressive in their behavior to the point you could quite easily forget your playing against bots, I spent a long time testing them last night on all levels (Except Caves, no bots on Caves), I have noticed that on occasion they do some have some minor issue's:-

1. Freezing in place (Seems to be map specific, GE_Complex was the worst for this, but has happened on other maps)
2. Trying to run through doors before they are fully open (Happened on GE_Facility, Causes rapid side to side movement of bot like they're sticking to the door)
3. Getting stuck on props (happened in Silo, bot was caught on crate which caused rapid side to side movement)

Other than this I haven't noticed anything wrong, I have heard from Troy that they also dominate the servers but you already know about this issue, you may even know about the issues I have mentioned, anyway... I thought I should report it to you. If you need any more info or video's let me know, always happy to do my part for the mod.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
Re: Some Minor Bot Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 10:19:20 am »

We are waiting on valve for the issue of bots online being operated wrong. For now we recommend serverhost make bots disabled online.

Or at least make the bot threshold to value " 1" instead of 5 in the default cfg.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 10:56:07 am »

I'm noticing that the minor issues (Not server) are definitely map specific, also area specific so I'm going through all maps and grabbing screenshots of where these issues occur, I'm not sure if Source is similar to Doom 3 in terms of AI pathways, but in most cases it would seem a slight alteration to these would correct the issues.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 02:32:08 pm »

No bots on caves?

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 02:51:17 pm »

No bots on caves?

Tried a couple of times, and again today KM, still nothing. Was there meant to be bots on Grid? I notice they're on Siberia.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 03:00:03 pm »

Well the maps need to have either nodes embedded in the BSP, in which case an AIN file will be created in the "maps/graphs" folder. Otherwise you can create your own nodes using our in-game node editing tools:

exec node_edit

open up cfg/node_edit.cfg to learn the commands. I will be writing wiki articles for all this at a later time. Can't document and code at the same time unfortunately. :(

I'll look into the cave node issue, might have to fix with a patch.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 03:17:00 pm »

Even with the minor issues, which I might add are only on rare occasions, the Bots are awesome. Just out of curiosity, are there any console commands to increase their difficulty?

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 03:26:09 pm »

ge_bot_difficulty [0-9]

I will be documenting the bots in further detail in the coming days as my fingers rest from coding ;-)

The bots have four difficulty settings: Agent, Secret Agent, 00 Agent, and 007

The difficulty variable determines the probability of a certain bot difficulty being assigned. If you set it to 0 you will only see Agent bots, if you set it to 9 you'll only see 007 bots, in between values add a mixture of bot difficulties.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 03:28:10 pm by killermonkey »

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 03:38:20 pm »

I will be documenting the bots in further detail in the coming days as my fingers rest from coding ;-)

I'm not surprised, I will upload images of bot issues anyway for future reference, but for now go and soak your hands in some Radox and enjoy your well earned break. ;)

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 03:45:12 pm »

OK. Here we have 5 images I took with descriptions:-

1. As you can see, the bot gets stuck here, it happened multiple times when playing. On the left of this room is the door leading to the small circular area with the water at the bottom.

2. On this occasion, he was not waiting for me to make a move, he became unaware of my presence, not sure if this is area specific or not.

3. Bot got stuck here and couldn't move.

4. Bot just stood there, he followed me with his weapon, but made no attempt to shoot me until I went round facing him sideways.

5. On Siberia, this bot disappeared under the snow. Ha Ha, very funny actually.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 03:53:43 pm by markpeterjameslegg »

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 04:18:51 pm »

In tight areas bots can have a little bit of trouble, that's really a restraint of the way hl2 navigation works, it can be finnicky. I will make a note to revise the nodes and bot spawns in bunker classic for the 4.2.1 patch.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 06:47:50 pm »

Archives bots get stuck on the stairs, they seem to be floating above them:-

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 11:55:20 pm »

Rather than posting a new thread, I might as well report this in you'rs, If you don't mind of course ;)

When playing LTK/Dr. No Armor, Bots sometimes go for the armor, But since there isn't any, They get stuck at the armor respawn point and never move again.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 12:53:52 am »

That's fine namajnaG, anybody having bot issues is welcome to post here, better to keep it in one place.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 11:50:37 am »

Having more bot issues in Archives, quite odd but he always gets stuck in the same room, he moves left to right in front of the doorway but wont go through or attempt to through the door behind. When you go round to the other door and enter the room, he'll turn round and start heading to that door instead, but as soon as you go back out, he'll run back to that same door and move around slightly without going through it. There's something about this room that renders the bot stupid and unable to detect where the player is until he enters the room, even then you can just run round the shelving to confuse him.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 11:52:29 am by markpeterjameslegg »

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 11:59:18 am »

OK, same weird occurrence, but in a different area this time:-

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 12:47:51 pm »

Haha, that's so GE64. We should keep that ;)

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 03:02:09 pm »

Ahhh... It was intentional, well done KM. Wink.. Wink.. I must admit though, GE64 certainly did have it's floors, but we loved it anyway, just like GE:Source.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 04:18:39 pm »

Errr, this bots been up there a while... Maybe he forgot how to crouch. :)

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 08:02:00 pm »

I now know whats causing the Bots to sink into the floor... Well, I know whats causing it on player side that is. It occurs when you shoot them, twice on Runway tonight it happened when a Bot was above ground on snow, as soon as I shot them they just sunk into the snow. Check the image I took in Caves, it happened in here as well. Hope this narrows it down a bit for you KM.

Troy

• GE:S Coder
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 08:45:14 pm »

The bots sink in the snow banks as well.  I've already brought this up to KM.
Complete - Arsenal, One Bullet is Enough, Tournament DM v2, TurboDM
Defunct - Agent Under Fire
VC - Being such a dick, KM must be stroked before springing into action.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 09:17:50 pm »

This might have something to do with the push back that our weapons impart... the AI system is not really used to being pushed around (literally) and rely heavily on animations to do everything.

Another thing that might be an issue, the AI do not obey player clips for various reasons, so if these displacement humps were heavily player clipped to make them smooth to walk over, that might affect the NPC's.

On the topic of getting stuck in doors (ie Bot Elevator):

I added a minimum standoff distance of bots from doors blocking their way. The policy of the AI system is to move as close as possible (within .001 units) to any obstruction, doors included. With lag and other issues at play, this resulted in doors catching the bots and moving them. in v4.2.1, I set the standoff distance to 8 units, which should afford plenty of clearance.

Let me know if the bots continue to get stuck in doors as this is a very intermittent issue.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:20:59 pm by killermonkey »

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 10:42:22 pm »

Have just been playing Cradle, I think the player & Bot spawn points on the lookouts need to be 1 floor down as the Bots are unable to get down and just stand near the ladder. Anyway, I think it would be better for players as well, those ladders can be a little awkward sometimes, would be better to just spawn and head straight along the walkway rather than go through the tedious task of going down the ladder. What do you think?

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 10:59:19 pm »

We can disable spawns for bots as well. But I agree they are very awkward spawns for everyone.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 11:04:25 am »

I do hope I'm not bugging you with this Subject KM. I'd just like to verify that these are not complaints and my intention from the start with this Subject has been to help narrow down issues with Bots and make your job a little easier, obviously your too busy to spend hours on end playing around with the Bots but I have some time to spend testing them out, and I'm more than happy to do so as they're great fun to play against. ;)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 11:15:18 am »

I might open up our development bug tracker with a dedicated section for ai issues that way it is easy for me to maintain focus on the problems witnessed. It also let's you upload images and such.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 11:34:29 am »

I was actually thinking when I wrote that last post that maybe there should be a specific place for AI bugs, I have noticed others creating new posts to do with the same subject.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up