GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 03:17:13 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: prop_rotating_door with breakable glass windows?  (Read 4386 times)

Harry the Hambeast

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Harry the Hambeast has no influence.
prop_rotating_door with breakable glass windows?
« on: August 09, 2012, 02:13:38 am »

So I'm working on a little pet project for GES and I made a prop_rotating_door which functions fine, but it uses a model which has a window, so I placed and parented a func_breakable to the rotating door. Problem is, while the door opens, it will not close unless the window is broken, and there is no apparent way to change whether the window itself is solid or not, which seems to partly be the problem. Have I taken a completely wrong approach to this? I've been trying to find a solution on the internet but haven't had much luck, does anybody have any suggestions?

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Re: prop_rotating_door with breakable glass windows?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 02:09:00 pm »

It can't be done in source, it's too buggy. If it could we would use glass in the Facility Backzone lab doors. It works in sliding doors, but with rotating doors it won't operate properly.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

marinedalek

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • marinedalek is working their way up.marinedalek is working their way up.marinedalek is working their way up.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 06:26:49 pm »

It works in sliding doors

Have you seen Bunker recently? ;)

Harry the Hambeast

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Harry the Hambeast has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 07:07:51 pm »

After a lot of frustration I found a suitable workaround. You can parent a prop_dynamic using the door model to a func_door_rotating brush textured in nodraw (make sure it doesn't cover the glass), then parent the glass pane to the same brush. Woohoo! And that should've been the obvious solution to me before I posted the question...sorry guys :)

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 07:56:10 pm »

I've had lots of issues with parented glass on doors in my bunker map (ge_bunker_kraid).
Sometimes they get disconnected from the parent completly, in other cases they are just spawned in the wrong place but still move with the door.
Whenever i update my map to work with the new release (nodes, missing props & textures) i'll look into it one more time.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 07:58:40 pm »

Have you seen Bunker recently? ;)

Hahaha! :D Well we're working on fixing that. It's a minor issue since it doesn't stop the doors from operating unlike with rotating doors. You can just shoot out the glass if it's in the way and it'll reset.

Respawnable glass is more problematic though because it can respawn when the doors are open.

The issue is in the code and should be fixable for sliding doors, but the intended fix didn't make 4.2 sadly.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer
Pages: [1]   Go Up