GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 05:18:14 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New Translations needed  (Read 34811 times)

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
Re: New Translations needed
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 06:01:44 pm »

If they are needed. As i dont speak german i dont know. :P

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 06:27:47 pm »

yeah, I think the german translation is most correct now.
finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 06:48:20 pm »

If they are needed. As i dont speak german i dont know. :P

Well, I wouldn't do it, since they are a) explained in the text below and b) proper names (same as SharpSh00tah). (I only couldn't resist translating tournament from tournament DeathMatch, but if I was to translate DeathMatch it would just sound horrbile).

The achievement translations need some work though; they sound good in English but mostly it's impossible to translate these wordplays.

for exampe: recipe for death wouldn't work because it would sound like "er tsay pay" (makes no sense, just the weapon initials) != Rezept (sounds like "ray tse p t")  and 4 (vier) sounds mostly like "fear" != für (sounds slightly different from "fur")

P.S.: Sorry for not using phonetics, I'm lazy :o
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 06:51:29 pm by coolDisguise »

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 06:55:12 pm »

Why not translate "recipe for death" directly.  The icon and the achievement text will indicate that it's the RC-P90 experience achievement.

Some, like PPKing Soup should probably be left in the English unless the language's tranlsation for Peking Soup can function toward the pun.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

mookie

• Idiot
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • mookie is looked down upon.
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 07:09:19 pm »

I'll handle the French one. ;D

EDIT : French is done.

It's like you read and write French, correctly, which is weird to find, on the Internet. I made a couple of changes but undo them if they're wrong. Also I'm wondering if the grenade launcher and R-launcher should be lance-grenades and lance-roquette. Also I don't know if a change was needed on Goldfingered as it's meant to be dirty, see vt finger #2 although I think vt doigter #2 is much closer to common usage in English.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 07:14:09 pm by mookie »
5 2 3 7 1 4 6 0

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 07:16:45 pm »

mookie the mwgg translation needs to be done again as i made an error

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 07:31:15 pm »

Will start working on the Portuguese one ASAP.

All that is needed translated is the Beta 3.1 achievements and the game scenario help. I'll post here when it's done.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 07:34:57 pm by PPK »

mookie

• Idiot
  • 00 Agent
  • mookie is looked down upon.
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 07:48:21 pm »

mookie the mwgg translation needs to be done again as i made an error

Let me know if you like what's there now; it's not a straight translation. It roughly reads:

With a single bullet, the Golden Gun demands cleverness and accuracy.
Be first to find the Golden Gun, or get it by killing the man who holds it.

Hopefully X-tra will double-check that though.

Edit:

For reference, the previous translation read:

The Golden Gun is marked/noteworthy by the fact that a single player can have it at a time.
Be quick to seize it, or kill the player who has it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 08:02:12 pm by mookie »
5 2 3 7 1 4 6 0

X-tra

• -
  • 00 Agent
  • X-tra is looked down upon.
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 09:05:33 pm »

Let me know if you like what's there now; it's not a straight translation. It roughly reads:

With a single bullet, the Golden Gun demands cleverness and accuracy.
Be first to find the Golden Gun, or get it by killing the man who holds it.

Hopefully X-tra will double-check that though.

Edit:

For reference, the previous translation read:

The Golden Gun is marked/noteworthy by the fact that a single player can have it at a time.
Be quick to seize it, or kill the player who has it.

Yeah I checked.

By the way I corrected some little mistakes, too.
Just in case, I'm French. So if you see that some of my sentences dosen't make any sens, you know why. But hey, who care anyway ?

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 09:46:44 pm »

OMG what have you done to the german translation ;)
Well, beeing correct in translating is one thing, but making it fit into the GUI is another story, that's a reason why i keeped the Weapon names in english, course the german words are much longer and would simply overflow the weapon select GUI and the favorite weapon column.
Same goes for the Awards names I allready had them translated 100% exact, they didn't fit into the GUI so i expressed them another way.
Like "Eintagsfliege" which is an expression for something with a short life.

"Rezept für den Tod" is a funny one, maybe write it ReCePt.

"Zeitige Zerstörung" early termination? yay, timed termination is a hard one to translate, but this one is absolutly wrong in therms of sense.

"Rasendster Spieler" it might be possible to translate frantic as rasend, but not good in that case.
possible translations: verzweifelt, hektisch, außer sich, wild, krampfhaft, schrecklich, wahnsinnig.
I took "Am hektischsten" but IMO "Hektiker" gives you a good impression about how the player acts ingame without the overflow issue of the long translation.
Please keep the Award names as short as possible and don't touch the weapon names unless you got a short and good translation for them.
I'm not sure about the max. possible length of the words and on my resolution (1280x1024 4:3) there is allready the Automatic Shotgun overflowing the GUI.
But i think if you make it <= 14 characters it should work, if you do up to 17 Characters (like the ASG) it might overflow on some resolutions.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 09:58:00 pm »

The English words exceeding space is related to resolution.  Auto Shotgun and Favorite Weapon work on mine, but I've seen scoreboard posts with "Favorite Weapo" and such.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 10:18:22 pm »

As I said, if some argues he might undo the changes (and of course I saw you were using short terms, and I already mentioned it's possible the full translation could maybe be a little long, but using "Eintagsfliege" I'd rather expect in a game like Worms than in GoldenEye - anyway, I'll keep playing the english version so it doesn't really matter to me ^^).

Timed (planned) Termination (Beendigung, Vernichtung, Zerstörung) was translated a little more freely (zeitig like recht-zeitig -> just on time -> timed) and it makes a good alliteration anyway.

On frantic I'd also agree with wild and if you want to also hektisch (being a hurry) but please do not convert the awards to nouns because they rate players in relation to others, comparing them. So you could have multiple Hektiker (frantics) but only one who is am hektischsten (the most frantic).

Again there was nothing really wrong with the translation, it just seemed somewhat stiff.

Btw.: I like your proposition concerning the RCP :-)

"Rezept für den Tod" is a funny one, maybe write it ReCePt.

EDIT: "You should be honored" should be "Du solltest geehrt sein/Du solltest Dich geehrt fühlen" instead of "Du solltest geehrt werden" (because of being killed by someone far superior to you (Dev or Beta Tester) not because you did something that deserves to be honored)

Other things like "Schwarzer Smoking" where I wrote the adjective or a verb with a capital letter I did because a) it looks better in the beginning of a new line or standing on its own (e.g. abbrechen in the menu) and b) because it also was "Black Suit" in the original.
If weapon names are too long we might abbreviate them using full stops. (just a thought)

The English words exceeding space is related to resolution.  Auto Shotgun and Favorite Weapon work on mine, but I've seen scoreboard posts with "Favorite Weapo" and such.

Is it possible to set the text size in relation to the used resolution? So everything would be fine, for everyone.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 10:44:16 pm by coolDisguise »

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 10:28:17 pm »

Why has the translation changed again ?
And by the way: "Hektiker" or "am rasendsten" sound stupid..
"Verrücktester" is the only possible choice to describe a goldeneye-gun-no target-fuck you all-maniac   8)

we need more humour !   ;D
finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2009, 10:48:18 pm »

I don't think most crazy would fit in all cases - since you get that also if you're running around cluelessly or... like someone said... tactically moving from someone ~ :angel:
(please check my last posting again)

stolid

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 05:27:20 am »

I (toasty2 on the wiki) did most of the latest Spanish translation. I'm not a native. It would be nice if someone native could look over it. I might have overused the subjunctive and been too formal, but I'm sure it at least makes sense.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up