GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 05:39:43 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [ISSUE] The wine thread  (Read 11974 times)

illwieckz

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • illwieckz is looked down upon.
    • gg.illwieckz.net
[ISSUE] The wine thread
« on: August 17, 2016, 05:24:35 pm »

Hello, as a Linux user, I was happily playing to GE:S 4.2.4 on Linux through wine and it worked very well. Since the 5.0 release, unfortunately it's not true.

I experienced:

- obvious rendering issues like some texturing bugs (but does not prevent to play), probably on the wine side
- autodownload mechanism not working anymore (the engine just announce it does it but does nothing)
- crashes

The crash only happen on some maps, some maps never crashes, some always crashes (for example the dam map), and something interesting, some map crashes only at some places (like the outdoor place with a truck in the dam map).  ???

If you are attempting to run GE:S 5.0 on wine because you are a Linux user or a Mac user and you experiment same issues, other issues, or do not experiment this issues, I would be very happy to listen yourself, I will write down more stuff in the future with screenshots, and will probably open some bugs on the WINE side, by the way, I'm not sure everything is on the WINE side.  :-[

While waiting for the 2013 SDK port that will bring native Linux and Mac support, let's make the current 2007 SDK based GE:S 5.0 experience better on Linux and Mac !  :D

If nothing can be fixed, I can host a wine-user dedicated server with only working maps in rotation. But I prefer to see the bug fixed, I want to play on that awesome dam map !
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 05:39:50 pm by illwieckz »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: [ISSUE] The wine thread
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 08:56:25 pm »

I haven't run into any of these issues running the mod on Fedora 24, wine v1.9.16

illwieckz

• Agent
    • gg.illwieckz.net
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 10:18:00 pm »

Nice it's good to know it can works, it means it's fixable. :D Perhaps the crashes are a rendering issue. I've only tested with amdgpu-pro and radeonsi drivers. I have a laptop with nvidia and intel GPU so I can try out nouveau, nvidia and i915 drivers too.

I've tested 1.9.16-staging and 1.7.42-staging (I was using 1.7.42 first then upgraded), tested both 32bit WinXP mode and 64bit Win10 mode (useless, but easy to try out), tested with or without CSMT, tried with or without official d3d9. By the way, a recent steam upgrade broke the advanced start option so it's hard to try out dxlevel switches. So I hyaven't tried non-staging wine [edit: tried, it crashes too], and the graphical drivers quoted above. Of course I've rebuilt my wineprefix from scratch. I don't use gallium-nine and I don't know if it will be easy to try out (and it's not an option to me since I can't have gallium-nine with amdgpu-pro and I need amdgpu-pro for serious opencl stuff).

There is still many places for experiments, I will keep you in touch! It's good to know it can works.

In dam map I really can't go to this place without crashing (screenshots not taken in game since it's already too late):

PS: I've noticed in another source-based game that windowed render can differ with full screen render, haven't seen yet a difference in GE:S, but if people get strange things, it can try both to see if one is better.

[Edit: so I'm running Ubuntu 16.4 amd64 with amdgpu-pro driver, wine 1.9.16]
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 10:24:08 pm by illwieckz »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 11:03:02 pm »

Forgot to mention I run it in a window with optirun launching my wine prefix. I use q4wine for ease of setup.

I'll try to replicate at the noted crash locations.

illwieckz

• Agent
    • gg.illwieckz.net
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 08:40:21 pm »

Just to notice I tried amdgpu-pro, amdgpu (mesa), radeonsi (mesa) and nvidia proprietary drivers and in each case the game crashes at this dam map location.

[Edit, also tried latest wine 1.9.18]

illwieckz

• Agent
    • gg.illwieckz.net
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 11:32:24 pm »

Right now I'm running the mesa amdgpu stack with gallium-nine enabled wine 1.9.18. I don't get any graphical issue except one with glass, except that, all looks very nice, and I'm feeling like I was missing something before, so I guess there is some shaders that were broken before that are no longer broken.

I’m now able to load and play every map, including dam, aztec, caverns, basement_classic, bunker etc. All the maps I was missing… So I'm just discovering right now the other half of GE:S 5.0. And the performance is very good (ge_basement_classic runs at 700 fps).

So I got no graphical issue except this one:

I got no crash except this one:

Code: [Select]
gameserver.cpp (683) : Assertion Failed: m_CMInterface.GetLogonState() == k_ELogonStateNotLoggedOn
threadtools.cpp (3272) : Assertion Failed: Illegal termination of worker thread 'SocketThread'
Assert( Assertion Failed: m_CMInterface.GetLogonState() == k_ELogonStateNotLoggedOn ):gameserver.cpp:683
Assert( Assertion Failed: Illegal termination of worker thread 'SocketThread' ):threadtools.cpp:3272

Graslu

• You can't win.
  • Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 01:14:26 am »

That's not a graphical issue, the glass works like they did on N64 for classic maps.

illwieckz

• Agent
    • gg.illwieckz.net
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 11:19:08 pm »

That's not a graphical issue, the glass works like they did on N64 for classic maps.

If something looks awful, it's a graphical issue.

If I remember, there was no edges on stack, but having them on GE:S does not look like a bug to me:

TriDefiance

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 78
  • TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 11:37:37 pm »

If something looks awful, it's a graphical issue.

If I remember, there was no edges on stack, but having them on GE:S does not look like a bug to me:

I hope you realize that the GE:S team works very hard to iron every thing out with this mod and of course not everything can be pixel perfect, or for that matter be a perfect clone as the N64.

illwieckz

• Agent
    • gg.illwieckz.net
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 11:41:55 pm »

I hope you realize that the GE:S team works very hard to iron every thing out with this mod and of course not everything can be pixel perfect, or for that matter be a perfect clone as the N64.

Have you read the whole thread you answer to? This thread is not about being pixel perfect but about running on wine.

Have you read the whole comment you answer to? This comment is just saying I prefer to not have GE:S pixel perfect if it looks better.

So, the matter of being pixel perfect is irrelevant to the whole thread and the comment you answer to.

Graslu

• You can't win.
  • Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 11:53:03 pm »

Well then... It is meant to look awful if that's how you want to see it.

You can't do a single plane textured on both sides in Source, so that's why it has edges here.

Also, if you're on this thread about an unsupported OS and say that's a graphical issue, people are going to assume that you think it's a bug, not that you don't like it / could look better. So no, I wouldn't say "If something looks awful, it's a graphical issue", by that logic, half of our player models are graphical issues.

illwieckz

• Agent
    • gg.illwieckz.net
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 12:35:12 am »

by that logic, half of our player models are graphical issues.

No, because even with their defaults, player models look like player models (and no-one regressed the player models).

These glass walls do not look like glass but kind of mixed-up chessboard (???). My brain can't expect that kind of rendering for a glass wall.

But the real reason why I immediately thought about a bug is because I never seen GE:S 5 rendering the stack map before and ge_stack_classic from GE:S 4.2.4 was looking better on the same computer. So, the graphical quality of ge_stack_classic regressed between GE:S 4 and GE:S 5, that's why I honestly first thought about a bug.

See:

So, the regression is not a bug but a feature, I end there the off-topic. I will or I will not open a new thread about that regression, but it's not the topic, the topic is about running wine, so if it's not a bug I can write down right now:

I haven't experienced yet any graphical issue while running GE:S 5.0 on a gallium-nine enabled wine 1.9.18 with amdgpu's mesa drivers.

Being able to say that or the contrary was the purpose of my screenshot: I had to figure out if it was related to wine or not.

If someone marks the glass rendering regression issue as NOTABUG, the amdgpu & gallium-nine based wine rendering issue can be marked FIXED. This thread is a wine thread.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 08:47:13 pm by illwieckz »

Graslu

• You can't win.
  • Tester
  • Secret Agent
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 12:49:54 am »

Classic maps were redesigned in 5.0 to look more like they did in N64 only with higher res textures, so that includes making glass work the same way as they did on N64, keep the same scale, and recreate lighting correctly.

So yeah; this is not a bug. I kinda liked how 4.2 stack looked but this is fine too to me since it's accurate to N64. I mentioned the player models because most are a decade old and doesn't meet our current standards, but are still kept since we have no replacement.

Back on topic, it's good to know that now we have workarounds to get GE:S working on Linux and Mac properly (At least aparently for now). Have you tried playing online yet?

illwieckz

• Agent
    • gg.illwieckz.net
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 01:20:14 am »

Back on topic, it's good to know that now we have workarounds to get GE:S working on Linux and Mac properly (At least aparently for now). Have you tried playing online yet?

Yes, I have played online since the 5.0 release day (I'm also hosting a server), but only on some maps, like the archives ones, runway, silo, egyptian, cradle, caves, complex, facility and control. The other maps just crashed the game.

I don't know yet what is the cause of the crashes, the 4.2 release was running on vanilla wine releases, and I'm not able to run everything since the 5.0 release. I cannot anymore play GE:S using the default Direct3D→OpenGL wine internal translator so I use the Direct3D native state tracker for Linux. That means if some Mac players face the same bugs as me, they are not able to workaround them as I do since Mac users can't have Direct3D native driver as I do on Linux. That also means if some Linux users face the same bugs as me and are running proprietary nvidia/amdgpu-pro drivers, they can't workaround them as I do since these proprietary drivers do not provide native Direct3D support.

On the server side, I haven't seen any issue running the windows server on linux using wine. The windows server running on wine is even more stable than the linux native one (but it's also Valve's fault) but I'm running the linux native one because it eats far far less memory.

illwieckz

• Agent
    • gg.illwieckz.net
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 07:02:17 pm »

So I tested the Intel driver (on Haswel hardware), I got the same crash on the same map place (the dam map is a good trigger).

This is now my Linux compatibility matrix:

HardwareIntelNvidiaNvidiaNvidiaAMDAMDAMD
KMDi915nvidianouveaunouveauamdgpuamdgpu/radeonsiamdgpu/radeonsi
UMDMesaNvidiaMesaMesaAMDGPU-PROMesaMesa
Direct3DWineD3DWineD3DWineD3DGalliumNineWineD3DWineD3DGalliumNine
Status

WineD3D is the multiplatform generic wine's built-in Direct3D to OpenGL translator. GalliumNine is the native Direct3D 9 state-tracker for Linux (no OpenGL translation), but it works only for Gallium-based driver. Only open source drivers for AMD (radeonsi/amdgpu) and Nvidia (nouveau) are based on Gallium and therefore have native Direct3D 9 support. Intel open source driver is not based on Gallium, and proprietary drivers from Nvidia and AMD (Catalyst then now AMDGPU-PRO) are not based on Gallium too. So, the only option to play all maps from GE:S 5 on Linux is to:

• Have an AMD or nVidia GPU;
  • Use the Open Source driver for it;
  • Use the GalliumNine state-tracker;
  • Use a GalliumNine enabled wine.

My AMD test was done with a R9 390X which runs on both radeonsi and amdgpu drivers. The radeonsi driver is the previous-generation driver for AMD GPUs from pre-GCN to GCN 1.1, amgdpu is next generation driver for GPUs from GCN 1.0 to the future, the R9 390 X is a GCN 1.1 based GPU so it runs on both drivers.

There is no solution for Intel GPU users.

I havn't tested the open source driver for nvidia GPU yet (nouveau/Mesa), but I guess it will work and only work with GalliumNine.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 10:40:16 pm by illwieckz »
Pages: [1]   Go Up