GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 19, 2024, 08:17:26 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: [Gameplay] Die Another Day  (Read 65073 times)

Troy

• GE:S Coder
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
Re: Die Another Day
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 03:23:40 am »

Nice resurrection sound effect.
Complete - Arsenal, One Bullet is Enough, Tournament DM v2, TurboDM
Defunct - Agent Under Fire
VC - Being such a dick, KM must be stroked before springing into action.

TriDefiance

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 78
  • TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 12:50:37 am »

I won't be able to finish this mode until the next GE:S patch is released because it will allow me to move REs to player death locations. I will try to have everything else implemented by the 1st of January.

I will start implementing the long range resurrection ability tomorrow.

I'm going to rent a GE:S server from a dedicated server provider. This dedicated server would be dedicated to running DAD mode and I will only rent it for a month. The purpose of this server will be to promote DAD mode and to provide a server where beta version test events can take place.

Before I release version 2.00 with its addition of the long range resurrection ability, I would like to run a weekend beta test event on my DAD server for Beta 1.02. I'm hoping that some players will attend this event if I announce it in this forum topic.

When I've finished working on this mode's script, I'm hoping that the GE:S developers will be willing to make this mode into an official game mode. If they will be willing to make it into an official mode, then I won't mind if they modify its script.

I think it would be best to get in touch with server owners from GE:S instead of purchasing a server for a month. I wouldn't spend money on a server for just a month. =/

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 04:44:51 am »

I'm going to rent a GE:S server from a dedicated server provider. This dedicated server would be dedicated to running DAD mode and I will only rent it for a month. The purpose of this server will be to promote DAD mode and to provide a server where beta version test events can take place.

Before I release version 2.00 with its addition of the long range resurrection ability, I would like to run a weekend beta test event on my DAD server for Beta 1.02. I'm hoping that some players will attend this event if I announce it in this forum topic.

When I've finished working on this mode's script, I'm hoping that the GE:S developers will be willing to make this mode into an official game mode. If they will be willing to make it into an official mode, then I won't mind if they modify its script.

We have a server you can use for a month is you want to save some $. Our token of appropriation. Contact me if want to use it.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Joe

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 54
  • Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 12:53:24 pm »

We have a server you can use for a month is you want to save some $. Our token of appropriation. Contact me if want to use it.

Thanks for the offer, unfortunately I've already paid for a server.

Contrary to what I said in a previous post, I will now not wait to test Beta 1.02 at a beta test event before I release the version which has the long range resurrection ability.

I think the next version of this mode which will have the long range resurrection ability might be finished by Monday.

Beta 1.03
I was going to release Beta 1.03 yesterday but I didn't because I found out that this game doesn't have a kick voting system.

This is a problem for Beta 1.03 because its purpose was going to be to fix two gameplay exploits by allowing players to eliminate their team mates when friendly fire is enabled.
Killermonkey has told me that the next GE:S patch will allow mode scripts to use console commands.

I think I will be able to use this new script ability to create a kick vote system for this mode, so that this mode's players can kick and temporarily ban griefers who eliminate their team mates intentionally when friendly fire is enabled. Server admins will be able to set the length of kick vote bans with a cvar and they will be able to disable kick voting with a cvar.

I will also use this new script ability to create a friendly fire cvar for DAD mode which will override the normal friendly fire cvar. I want to give admins a friendly fire cvar for this mode because the consequences of a team mate kill in this mode will be worse for a team than in other team play modes, when players are able to eliminate their team mates.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 01:54:17 pm by Joe »
Free games:FPS + RTS: Renegade X & Battlezone 1.5,RTS: 7 Kingdoms & Open Red Alert, TBS:Hedgewars, playcatan.com & www.wesnoth.org

Joe

• Secret Agent
  • Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.Joe has an aura about them.
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2012, 05:44:47 pm »

I think the next version of this mode (which will include the long range resurrection ability) might be finished by Wednesday.

Does anyone have an idea for what an "in use" appearance could be for the gravestones?

It would be good if someone had a good idea which would only involve changing a gravestone's texture or model because I don't think graphical effects like smoke could be spawned with the available scripting functions.

I don't think the idea I've had could be implemented with the available scripting functions: I think it would look good if in use gravestones became surrounded by blue electricity, like the yellow electricity surrounding the car in the image on this web page: http://www.gimpusers.com/tutorials/electrifying-objects-electricity-effect
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 05:47:10 pm by Joe »
Free games:FPS + RTS: Renegade X & Battlezone 1.5,RTS: 7 Kingdoms & Open Red Alert, TBS:Hedgewars, playcatan.com & www.wesnoth.org

WNxEuphonic

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 106
  • WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!
    • Euphonic.dev
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2012, 07:19:53 pm »

Does anyone have an idea for what an "in use" appearance could be for the gravestones?

It would be good if someone had a good idea which would only involve changing a gravestone's texture or model because I don't think graphical effects like smoke could be spawned with the available scripting functions.

I don't think the idea I've had could be implemented with the available scripting functions: I think it would look good if in use gravestones became surrounded by blue electricity, like the yellow electricity surrounding the car in the image on this web page: http://www.gimpusers.com/tutorials/electrifying-objects-electricity-effect

You could do pulsating rings like I do in Uplink (or increase the amplitude a bit).

Joe

• Secret Agent
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2012, 09:13:01 pm »

You could do pulsating rings like I do in Uplink (or increase the amplitude a bit).

Thanks for the suggestion, I've not seen the pulsating rings in Uplink mode.

I personally think changing the appearance of the gravestone may be a better visual response to a gravestone's use than creating a pulsating ring around the gravestone because I think it could create a better looking response.

If Kraid thinks that pulsating rings will be the best looking way to show that a gravestone is being used, then I will use pulsating rings. I can't make new graphics for the gravestones' "in use" appearance myself.

Joe

• Secret Agent
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2012, 02:23:59 pm »

I'm sorry I still haven't released a version of this mode which has the long range resurrection ability. I've not yet been able to make the long range resurrection ability work because I need to find a solution to a maths vector problem.

I've asked Killermonkey for help but he hasn't replied yet, so hopefully when he does reply he can tell me what I need to do or at least give me the information I need to try to find a solution to this problem.

Kraid has had a good idea for an appearance that gravestones could have when they are being used. He would like to make cracks appear in the gravestones and he wants these cracks to glow blue or red(depending on a gravestone's side). I personally would rather see this than pulsating rings around the gravestones.

Until this appearance is ready to be implemented, I will surround the gravestones which are in use with pulsating rings.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 08:37:35 pm by Joe »

Joe

• Secret Agent
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2012, 02:28:19 pm »

Killermonkey has now told me how to solve the problem has been preventing me from being able to make the long range resurrection ability work.

I will try to release a new version which will include the long range resurrection ability by Christmas day.

This new version may also include these improvements:
* Pulsating rings might appear around gravestones which are being used (a future version will use Kraid's idea, if we can implement it).
* A thin line might be drawn between a LR ability user and the gravestones they target, so that if their enemies see the gravestone they are aiming at, they will then be able to see where the user is. I've asked Killermonkey if I can use the line drawing debug function to do this (a comment in this function says that it should only be used for debugging).
*Resurrection sound effects.

I'm going to keep releasing the new versions as beta versions until a beta version has been tested at an event on my DAD server.

If my DAD server isn't working when I test it in a few minutes, I will talk to the server provider to find out why it's still not working.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 02:30:55 pm by Joe »

Joe

• Secret Agent
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2012, 03:50:42 pm »

My GE:S DAD server is still not working, despite me paying a server provider to setup a GE:S server for me on the 12th of December.

I only intended to rent a DAD server for one month, so I've requested the cancellation of my DAD server on the 1st of January, which is the date when its current billing period ends.

So my GE:S server probably won't be available to play DAD on in its last week.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 03:55:06 pm by Joe »

TriDefiance

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 78
  • TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2012, 12:28:56 am »

My GE:S DAD server is still not working, despite me paying a server provider to setup a GE:S server for me on the 12th of December.

I only intended to rent a DAD server for one month, so I've requested the cancellation of my DAD server on the 1st of January, which is the date when its current billing period ends.

So my GE:S server probably won't be available to play DAD on in its last week.

Get in touch with a server administrator on any of the GE:S servers. You can try WNx, [1138], , or TG

Troy

• GE:S Coder
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2012, 05:38:34 am »

If you using JestServers, your server might have crashed or is stopped.  There's a control panel to reboot it.  I run a server and could host your mode if need be.
Complete - Arsenal, One Bullet is Enough, Tournament DM v2, TurboDM
Defunct - Agent Under Fire
VC - Being such a dick, KM must be stroked before springing into action.

Joe

• Secret Agent
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2012, 01:23:10 pm »

I'm going to resume my development of this mode today.

I didn't release a new version on Christmas day because I wasn't able to make the GE:S trace function detect capture area entities (REs are implemented as capture area entities and represented by gravestone models), so I wasn't able to make the long range resurrection ability work. I had not worked on the other improvements I said I might include in this new version, so I decided to have a break from developing this mode.

I can make the trace ray touch a gravestone model but the gravestone model's associated capture area entity isn't returned by the trace function. I've tried using the TRACE_WORLD option.

If you using JestServers, your server might have crashed or is stopped.  There's a control panel to reboot it.  I run a server and could host your mode if need be.
Thanks for the advice, I wasn't using JestServers. I don't think my server was using GE:S server software on the 22nd of December.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 02:13:36 pm by Joe »

Joe

• Secret Agent
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2013, 06:45:10 pm »

I will release a new version soon, it will include resurrection sound effects.

Joe

• Secret Agent
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2013, 06:21:51 pm »

Hi,

I'm sorry about the long development pause, I now want to continue developing this mode until it's finished.

I've always intended to finish it, if I had decided to stop developing it I would have mentioned this in a post in this forum topic and I would have invited other mode scripters to take over its development.

These are changes I want to make in the new versions of this mode:
    • Make it support translations, by using the GE:S translation text files.
    • Make it more like Mefy's MOHAA Freeze Tag mode:
      • Allow players to resurrect their team mates at long ranges by aiming at their gravestones and pressing a key.
      • Allow players to resurrect multiple team mates at the same time.
      • Make resurrection entities spawn at player corpses instead of map spawn points.
      • Add a resurrection sound effect to this mode.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:29:49 pm by Joe »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up