GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 02:20:43 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Good prospects for a realese at 24.12 or 1.1.10 ?  (Read 9273 times)

[GE:S Com] DF Ank1

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • [GE:S Com] DF Ank1 has no influence.
Good prospects for a realese at 24.12 or 1.1.10 ?
« on: December 18, 2009, 06:55:21 pm »

Mhm the Subject say everything. After i read so many post about Beta 4, i am reale wondering if it would be reales soon. I myself think not, because how the Dev´s wrote : There is not finished everything yet, but we see something huge will be come.

I am thing about this sentences, so i decided to make a new Topic about the Beta 4 reales, and the stuff, what Beta 4 will Contain.
So whats going on ?
Big Fan of the Arecibo Observatory / Antenna Cradle.
I would pay money to get the old cradle back. Ad me on Facebook. I am ever glad about new members. Specially when they come from GE:S. My name is Rudolf von Ank

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
Re: Good prospects for a realese at 24.12 or 1.1.10 ?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 08:03:23 pm »

Beta 4 is going to rock.  In short, we're adding the missing guns and some more playable dudes, and I'm working on Living Daylights (now with 100% moar teamplay) and Live and Let Die might make it too if I get the Python scripting worked out right and get over this damned cold so I can record the appropriate lolz.

It will be released when it is ready.  I am personally hoping we hold off as long as we need to, but there are some people who apparently don't think we blew it enough when we rushed out Beta 1 and released a mod that can't load weapons into a map without crashing the server.  Why learn from the past, right?
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 07:33:37 am »

Completely agree. I think it should be held off as long as possible until we KNOW that everything is just right. The problem is that new things are added almost ALL THE TIME so until we get to a point were things start to trickle down a little and lots of testing is done, I think we should hold out.

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 03:34:41 pm »

We will see, we have an internal goal (not going to say specifics to public) and massive efforts are being made daily with even more urgency than regular production to see it happen!

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 04:07:24 am »

The mod has a slight case of the Black Mesa Flu. We are not going to wait till the mod is 100% done, but we want to finish up the current work before releasing Beta 4.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 04:23:37 am »

LOL, Black Mesa is going to be shit on when they release because they never gave any public exposure. You absolutely need the public eye to help you progress with the perfection of the mod.

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 08:22:14 am »

totally agree. We can only hope that they have good enough judgment. Guess we will see.....:D

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 09:27:00 am »

This is why more and more commercial games are releasing BETA's for people to test out.
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 11:18:48 am »

I think that's because they wanna save money they would spend on Beta Testing so they use these betas to have the audience test their Games and point out bugs.
Another methode these days is to simply release buggy games and throw out a Patch once a bug was found.

• Secret Agent
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 12:47:52 pm »

Ha we can only hope. But tomorow is the 24.12. Mhm we will see.
I am glad about this production of GoldenEye: Source. And i ever wondering why we not work on it and sell. I am sure it would be a bestseller like GoldenEye: 007 with over 8.000.000 sells.

Ha i am wondering how GE:S will be in 3 years.
I would pay money to get the old cradle back. Ad me on Facebook. I am ever glad about new members. Specially when they come from GE:S. My name is Rudolf von Ank

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 06:33:46 pm »

There is NO way we could ever sell this. First off, it's a mod, thus ment to be played for free. If we sold it, then we would have to pay valve for using the source engine, then all the legal issues with Rare, Nintendo, Activision, and anyone else who has a steak in James Bond, GoldenEye, 007, etc...

Besides, it's nice to have a game like this for free.

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 07:24:03 pm »

Really wish people would stop asking that question, or coming up with the idea of selling this mod. If we could, I'm pretty sure that we would have all thought about it by now, if not already put that idea into action.
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

• Secret Agent
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 07:54:05 am »

Yes. Sure

antihero

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 11:42:51 pm »

Selling the mod has two problems. There's the license for the game engine. License / Permissions for the James Bond Intellectual Property. Just one of those is enough, but having to pay out for both things might be a bit much... and Likely it's a large lump sum + percentage.... not just a percentage.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 06:43:44 am »

Additionally, they wouldnt "permitt" the license. They dont care about making a few million dollars to risk their reputation of business, or they would have approached us by now to cash in on our mod popularity.

They like to operate as owners of their property which makes sense since thats their legal right. For them to come to us to having not been permitted in the first place, pay for source licensing, and then say to their reputable business partners activision "youve got a sister competition hope thats cool" just wont fly from business or legal standpoints.

Foreseeably, the ONLY chance in hell is if activision lost the rights and danjaq/MGM decided to do away with finding a replacement and hence by then we'd be out of beta and they might think about approaching us to recoup their 10 years of poor investment. Our pull is we have the product ready and receiving players approval, completed all the gamemodes, standard characters and maps.

Thats not even the first hurdle of theirs. Then, they have to strike a deal with nintendo, who cut down the xbox revamp/remake done by a professionally studio which was all licensed until they needed to broker the profit breakdown once it was ready for approval. Nintendo was the one who basically said "no way we are taking such a small percentage, over 50% or bust"

If they agree, then the final hurdle is M$ needs to allow nintendo to get way more money for the IP carry over rights they defaulted with rare coming under the M$ banner before being obliterated since the 1997 title. For microsoft it isnt so much needed that they make more, but that they make an even profit to the other parties. So nintendo would likely again be the stopping power to any deal.

Really I dont think anyone on the team really wants to be part of a deal with all those elements, wed make maybe 20%, lose a section of our mod supporters and be branded sellouts. When you divide the percentage cut we'd be given between the 50 or so who have contributed good enough portions to the project and had loyalty throughout to garner a slice, it'd be maybe 50 thousand dollars a piece.

Ive made way more than that in my job since I became a developer, and I really think this community is more about being fan-based. If the team has a goal to prove itself as a studio level outfit, the next project would be where to give that a shot. My view anyhow :P

Thats just for anyone who hasnt heard me explain this 15 times since 2006 :)

I really would like for us to be able to take donations and use the money to build server infrustructure and competitions etc, to enhance the community instead of relying always on dedicated clans and such to provide them. But, thats not the official stance of the team since we dont want to risk our being left alone status among the rights holders.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 07:14:25 am by Wake[of]theBunT »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up