GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 20, 2024, 04:06:31 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [ISSUE] Windows Crash after installing 4.2.1 Patch  (Read 3196 times)

Sal_L

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Sal_L has no influence.
[ISSUE] Windows Crash after installing 4.2.1 Patch
« on: March 12, 2013, 02:38:44 am »

Alright so I had a very odd problem happen to me.  I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit for reference  I downloaded v4.2 full from kick ass torrents, and removed "AdditionalContentID 420" from the gameinfo.txt file, loaded GE:S and got the notification for 4.2.1.  Clicked on the kick ass torrents link, opened the installer, watched it delete and write some new files, it then asked me to restart windows.  Windows made it to the splash screen then went black.  Had to force shutdown and reboot, same thing.  Entered into recovery, tried to use a restore point, failed.  Tried another, also failed.  Ran a ram test, rebooted finally get to my login screen although its in like 240p.  Windows tells me the restore worked so I try and open Word from Office 365, it gives me the cursor with the waiting circle for about 3 seconds then goes away and Word does not load.  I made sure to choose a restore point after I installed Office 365.  Tried to uninstall Office 365 also failed.  It seems to be the only thing not working properly although having windows not boot is a bigger issue.  I have not seen anyone else with this problem but is the KAT torrent broken or something?  I don't see how the 4.2.1 patch could have done that much damage to Office.  I am pretty much not going to take any chances and just do a fresh Windows install.  I later saw that there are several 4.2.1 installs depending on which source was installed as well as some saying Steam needed to be closed.  Could those have caused my issues?  Any information is appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 03:02:20 am by Sal_L »

terps4life90

Re: Windows Crash after installing 4.2.1 Patch
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 02:45:08 am »

That is weird, it has never ask me to restart windows after installing goldeneye source. I believe it sounds like a virus. I am running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit as well.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 02:47:07 am by terps4life90 »

Sal_L

• Agent
Re: Windows Crash after installing 4.2.1 Patch
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 02:56:08 am »

The loader looked exactly the same.  I would be a bit upset since its a link from launching the game.  I have the free version of AVG and it has not flagged me yet.  Nothing weird is going on in my processes, unless it won't show up there.

Sal_L

• Agent
Re: [ISSUE] Windows Crash after installing 4.2.1 Patch
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 03:16:44 am »

I ran a virus scan and AVG flagged hl2.exe as a Trojan virus and now my BMS will not run lol.  I can't get AVG to release the file either.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 03:40:01 am »

Our installers do not prompt for restart. You probably have a virus... please post the link to the KAT that you downloaded (both of them).

Sal_L

• Agent
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 03:56:38 am »

Here you go.

4.2 full - Did not prompt

It actualy appears that I did get the patch from this website.  It appeared in my browsing history and my download history from that day Patch  This is when I was prompted for a restart.
Pages: [1]   Go Up