GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:18:35 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New mode  (Read 26109 times)

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
Re: New mode
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2018, 06:01:46 pm »

To make a sound louder, it's sometimes possible to play it in multiple sound channels at the same time...this isn't really the ideal way to do it but it's a quick and dirty one that sometimes is enough.  Sometimes it's better to just increase the raw volume in the audio editing program of your choice.

As for the looping alarm, you can either make a custom version of the sound that doesn't loop or stop it after a certain amount of time with:

StopSound( None, [SOUNDNAME] )

I hope this helps!
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

papel

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • papel has no influence.
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2018, 05:10:24 pm »

:D Actually I haven't updated the attachment yet. It probably happens in a specific situation, could you describe what happened? If it happens again, I'd suggest rematching, changing map or recreating the server. Meanwhile I'll work on fixing this issue as the first priority.

I found the problem ....
The ooagent.cfg file is set to ge_teamautobalance false, while the correct one would be ge_teamautobalance 0. After the fix, everything is fine now.

Thank you John!

John Doom

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • John Doom has no influence.
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2018, 12:21:03 pm »

As for the looping alarm, you can either make a custom version of the sound that doesn't loop or stop it after a certain amount of time with:
StopSound( None, [SOUNDNAME] )
I just tried, but it's hopeless, it doesn't stop playing anyway! I'm exasperated! :D
Code: [Select]
    def AlarmSet(self, newOn):
        if newOn:
            self.alarmT = 3.0

if self.alarmOn==False:
                for playerI in GetPlayers():
                    GEUtil.PlaySoundTo(playerI, self.TOKEN_ALARM_SOUND)
        else:
            for playerI in GetPlayers():
                GEUtil.StopSound(playerI, self.TOKEN_ALARM_SOUND)
                print("GEUtil.StopSound("+playerI.GetCleanPlayerName()+", self.TOKEN_ALARM_SOUND)")

self.alarmOn = newOn
See the attachment for more.
UPDATE: I also just tried using "None" to target all players: same result :(

I found the problem ....
The ooagent.cfg file is set to ge_teamautobalance false, while the correct one would be ge_teamautobalance 0. After the fix, everything is fine now.

Thank you John!
I'll include your fix, though I'm a bit confused, since https://wiki.geshl2.com/goldeneye/server/cmds says it should be bool (true/false).
:) Thank you for playing.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 12:33:05 pm by John Doom »

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2018, 03:45:35 am »

That's quite odd honestly, targeting all players individually or using "None" should stop/start the sound for all players.  I'll have to check it out myself sometime soon and make sure it's working properly.  I'm not actually sure if StopSound is used anywhere else so there is the possibility it has issues.

As for console variables you do indeed input boolean values as 1 or 0.  I've updated the wiki page to reflect this, as it was somewhat unclear before.  Sorry for the misunderstanding!

John Doom

• Agent
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2018, 02:35:07 pm »

:) Download updated!
I did some fixing, temporarily disabled the alarm (since it doesn't work properly yet), changed the token to a suitcase, changed a few sounds and added an easter egg: if you play as Bond, you'll see on the screen "JOHN DOOM presents/<your nickname>/as IAN FLEMING'S JAMES BOND 007 in/GOLDENEYE SOURCE" (:D kind of like here: )

:D Question time:
-is it possible to replace by code the background music for team MI6? I'd like to use something more bondian;
-is there an event to get when a player is using a weapon? I know there's one for tokens, but it's not enough, I'd like to know if the player is shooting at a token. Another option would be to get if a token is being shot, but there are no events for this either.

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2018, 04:21:44 pm »

Sadly neither is possible at the moment, at least not without a custom map.

Your new intro text is pretty cool, though!

John Doom

• Agent
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2018, 06:00:31 pm »

:D Attachment updated! I put back the alarm sound (though I'm using the other not bugged file) and made sure targets only spawn after there are at least two players, as suggested by papel.

September is near and I don't think I'll be able to keep working on this mode for too long (I've still a video game to develop :D ). This mode is complete, anyway, I'm satisfied with the result. It may still need a bit of testing, though, checking for bugs and balancing the experience. What do you suggest me to do now, Entropy-Soldier?

Sadly neither is possible at the moment, at least not without a custom map.

Your new intro text is pretty cool, though!
No problem, it's just too bad I can't achieve everything I planned, but it's ok.
Thanks for the compliment :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 06:02:43 pm by John Doom »

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2018, 06:18:21 pm »

Well, once you feel the mode is in its final state, at least for this version, make a thread and release it here:
https://forums.geshl2.com/index.php/board,98.0.html

We'll test it one final time at 8:30 PM EST tonight and I'll let you know how it goes!

John Doom

• Agent
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2018, 10:34:04 pm »

:) Thank you! Though that means 1:30 am in my country, I'll be there this time :D
EDIT: :-[ nope, I got it wrong, it's 3:30. Unfortunately I won't be able to attend, sorry. Hope you'll enjoy it, though :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 11:29:03 pm by John Doom »

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2018, 08:09:59 am »

Well, we gave it a shot tonight for a couple of matches and it seems the recent changes made it pretty much impossible to win as Janus.

I was actually wrong about using CalculateCustomDamage to scale the max damage you can do, sadly.  It does fix the hitsounds but due to the order things are processed in it actually doesn't change the max amount of damage a given player can take at one time...there are ways around this but they're all pretty elaborate.  I'll look into adjusting things for 5.1.

With the scattered objectives the agent's very high max health is probably not needed anymore anyway.  It's probably best to just let him start with a 2x damage bonus versus Janus that scales up to 4x once he has 4 tokens, and then only give him 4x the health at 16 players instead of 16x.  This forces him to sneak around and attack weak points in the defenses instead of just running past the entire enemy team to get the objectives.

Removing armor spawns would also help quite a bit with discouraging the agent player from taking on the entire enemy team at once, as like in the original GE64 any damage taken would stack up.

It's a shame that you don't have more time to work on this mode, as it's certainly an ambitious one that no doubt needs a lot of live playtests and tweaking to get right.  However I think implementing all of those changes I just listed would at least give each team a fair chance of winning.

Regardless of what you decide to do, good luck with your other game!  I hope it works out for you.

John Doom

• Agent
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2018, 11:56:04 am »

:) Thanks! I updated the attachment with the latest fixes, basically everything you suggested except for disabling spawning armors (:D I think everyone should be given another chance, otherwise it may be too frustrating for everyone).
Though I'll have much less time to work on this mode now, I decided I'm not putting it away until you guys feel it's done :)

John Doom

• Agent
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2018, 09:36:06 am »

:) So, did anyone test the latest update? Do you feel it still needs some tweaking or is it ready to be released?

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2018, 07:28:56 pm »

I'll be testing it tonight on Entropy-Server at 8:30 PM EST!  I'll let you know how it goes.

Captain George

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Captain George has no influence.
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2018, 07:54:01 pm »

I will be testing this mode tonight, and I will have a brief report for you when testing is complete.

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2018, 05:44:40 pm »

Well, we played it again last night and it seems it's much too easy to win as Janus now.  Guards start with armor making the 2x damage boost basically a 1x damage boost against most opponents which means they just take too long to kill as MI6.  I didn't account for this when I recommended the numbers, but now that I've seen them in action I'd say change it from a 2x - 4x damage boost to a 4x-8x damage boost.

Also it might be a good idea to change the token spawns to use the standard token spawns instead of the weapon/ammo spawns.  They often end up replacing the high level weapons making half of the top level weapon spawns in the map unusuable.

Outside of that, if you haven't yet gotten a chance to play this with real players we should set up a testing session just for you.  Bots behave much differently than normal players and being able to see how real people handle being on the guard team will no doubt be very useful to you.  This is a very difficult gamemode to get right so seeing it in action is very important.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up