GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 01:10:12 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: GoldenEye: Source - Status Report: May  (Read 122164 times)

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
GoldenEye: Source - Status Report: May
« on: May 15, 2017, 08:00:32 pm »

Working Towards 5.1

For the past many months since 5.0’s release we’ve been hard at work behind the scenes preparing what is coming next for GE:S.

Moving forward we would like to be more open and keep the community more up to date with what we are doing, and first off we are happy to announce and show a little preview of two of the maps we are presently working on.

New Maps

Citadel
We would like to introduce you to a level that is not that well known. ‘Citadel’ was a test level found on the original game’s ROM by using a GameShark on the GoldenEye cartridge. In the past there have been community versions of this map, but the level is now being incorporated into the game and given the full treatment.

Temple
I would never choose the caves! The temple, maybe.

Temple is a map that has long been absent from GoldenEye: Source. Whilst there have been various versions in development over the years it has never quite made it all the way to completion. The map has now been completely reenvisioned and given it’s own unique theme.

Music

With two new levels there might have been a gap in our Soundtrack.  Never fear!  Tweaklab has been hard at work and would like to debut some of his awesome beats.

Citadel

SoundCloud

“I wanted to take the Citadel track from the original game that was only used in multiplayer matches and make it feel a bit more tailored to a specific map, keeping the original tempo while adding more layers to the track to give it a greater sense of progression and ambience.”

Temple

SoundCloud

Temple didn’t have it’s own track in the original game, so to accompany the new map Tweaklab has created an original track inspired by the soundtrack of the original game and the atmosphere of the new map.

“I was encouraged by the team to have a go at writing an original track for the game and it all started with the main chord progression which utilizes a few familiar notes from the traditional Bond theme, everything else evolved fairly naturally from there. I wrote the track with the idea that it was almost like a remix of an original N64 track that no one had ever heard before and there are lots of cool ominous sounds like pan flutes and monk choirs in the mix to keep the atmosphere front and center while the beat drives the track.” - Tweaklab

Weapon Effects

Moving forward with our initiative of improving the way that weapons feel and act in the game, each weapon now has an increased number of sound effects associated with it. Pistols, Rifles, Mines, Shotguns, Rockets and so on now have distinct pickup, ammo and reload sounds for each type.

Building on our adjustment of their ammunition types, the Gold and Silver PP7s now have distinct firing sounds to help distinguish them both from each-other and the standard issue PP7.

The soundscape of the game is now more satisfying and delivers much better audible feedback on what is happening.

Improving User Experience

One of our big goals with the upcoming 5.1 is to greatly improve the experience players have when playing the game. 5.0 was a huge milestone and step up in the quality of the mod from past versions but we still see great room for improvement when it comes to making the game feel more intuitive and enjoyable. Certain lingering issues in the gameplay were made apparent by 5.0’s release which we’re working towards fixing, including changing a few Source engine defaults that fell outside of the design of our game and went under our radar.

The main one is of course the maximum server player count, which can be set as high as 32. However, GE:S was never designed to accommodate this number, and having such a large amount of  players on one server causes several problems that result in a poor gameplay experience. As such, for 5.1 this will be capped to a more reasonable 16 players. We hope everybody can understand that we want players to have the best experience of the game possible.

PSA: Please keep this in mind if you’re running a server as 16 will be the maximum number of player slots supported once GoldenEye: Source 5.1 releases.

Thank You

We would like to thank the community for their amazing support following the release of 5.0. We’ve been blown away by how much the game has grown and all of the positive attention we’ve received around the web.

In case you missed it we recently had an interview with PC Gamer, you can find it here:
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-creation-and-tireless-evolution-of-the-goldeneye-source-mod/

Streaming GoldenEye: Source
If you’re a YouTube or Twitch streamer and would like to stream GoldenEye: Source, please do!  Our original soundtrack will not get your content flagged.  Please contact us if you do have any issues.

We’re Looking For Developers
As a team that is always growing and adapting we would like to remind everybody that we are always looking for new talent. Please check our open positions page if you’re interested in getting involved and helping us to create this game.

Community:

Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/goldeneyesource
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/GoldenEyeSource
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/GoldenEyeSource
Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/MTwT3Ch
Twitter https://twitter.com/goldeneyesource

Team GoldenEye: Source
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

CptLima

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 210
  • CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!
    • Follow Cpt. Lima on Twitch!
Re: GoldenEye: Source - Status Report: May
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 01:53:48 am »

This is all phenomenal news - great to hear, and can't wait to enjoy all of these new maps, features, and improvements!

As someone who was aware of this project for many years - but atrociously never got around to downloading and experiencing it since 5.0 was released last summer - the simple fact that the game is so constantly being improved upon and tweaked is truly amazing to me. Thank you to all of the team members who dedicate so much time to this project! As someone who has been playing the N64 version continuously since it came out and who participates in The-Elite speed-running community, for me, the fact that this mod is so vibrant, active, fun, and true to the original just truly completes the GoldenEye 007 experience... it's just great!

In particular, I love Tweaklab's new songs - the "Citadel" song, which as we all know in N64 would play often in Multiplayer, was one of my favorites as a kid, and still is today. In fact, the original track immediately found its way into my playlists for Library/Stacks/Basement and Complex last summer. The new version of this song hits all the right notes and is a superb addition, and will certainly be finding its way into my rotation soon!

Thank you again so much to this team for your amazing work - I can't wait to try these new features out!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:34:22 pm by CptLima »

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 02:39:07 am »

The new 16 player limit certainly isn't set in stone, we just want to make sure that we have a way to make sure people understand that 12-16 is supposed to be the standard before setting it higher.  Before 4.2 we didn't seem to have this issue, but a lot of groups in 5.0 seemed to assume bigger was better and went all the way to 32.  Certain systems start breaking at 24+, though that's fixable, and the viable map selection becomes rather limited for anything past 16.  Not even Aztec comfortably hosts 32 people on any configuration.  That being said there are totally viable 20-24 man server configurations, like teamplay on the biggest maps as you said, but we didn't see nearly as much of that as we did 32 man basement classic with everyone complaining about the spawning system.

So, hopefully once we figure out how to better regulate that we can go up to at least 20, if not 24.  It's certainly a niche, since nearly all maps are designed for <16 players, but it does feel kind of bad to bar that option entirely for people who want to use setups that actually benefit from the higher playercount.  Might have to be a project for 5.2 though.
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

CptLima

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 210
  • CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!
    • Follow Cpt. Lima on Twitch!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 02:53:05 am »

That's great to hear! This mod has such a bright future... which can't really be said about too many video game projects that are this old and are dying out/hanging on by a thread (well, except maybe StarCraft... since that's getting a do-over this summer and is as old as the original GE64)!

Waluigi-Brain-Squeegee

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Waluigi-Brain-Squeegee has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 03:40:13 am »

This is all awesome news, been having a lot of fun playing GoldenEye: Source, so I look forward to all the new content and the awesome job you guys are doing at keeping this going. The new levels seem like they will add a lot more fun to the game, I can't wait to try them out when 5.1 is released. Thanks for all the awesome hours of game play so far haha  ;D

El Dudereno

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 01:23:41 pm »

It's amazing you guys are still coming out with updates after all these years.  I've been playing since 3.0.  There is one thing I would like brought back or at least tweaked that was removed from 5.0 and that's the invulnerability aspect.  5.0 looks great but something was changed that just doesn't feel right.  I think this may be why you don't see a lot of the old school players anymore.  I know new players blamed the hit registration when it was really the invulnerability, which was in the original game, but once you learned how it worked it made the game more fun in my opinion.  Maybe I'm alone here but there's my two cents.  Keep up the good work guys! 

JohnRDVSMarston

• Insania est arcanum
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 04:24:21 pm »

Not gonna lie, it looks promising.

Well, first let's get that out of the way: Let's roll the dice now. Citadel will be in Peru, Chile, Colombia, Nicaragua or Mexico? I know for certainty that it isn't in Brazil >.>

OK, got the macaw off the room, now to the rest of the review. Temple looks more baroque and, really, it has a nice and unique charm. I really liked it. As for Citadel, it remembers me of Aztec. I don't know if that's "meh" or good in having kind of the same formula, but with lots of differentiations and, inderectly, giving the thought that both maps are connected (same thought that you guys gave on Runway/Facility/Dam and Caverns/Caves).

As for the music, I liked Temple, giving not only a new look on JB's theme and GE007's musics, but also giving a feel to the map. However that makes me think: That it will be a theme set in stone in which others will make a remix of it, or they can create others as well?

And Citadel... Sorry, Tweaklab, but you finally made a music (for me) that looks "meh" (neutral; okay; not good, but not bad either). I'm just gonna say that it was gonna happen sooner or later. Don't crash down upon that! I know you can make it better! :D

(Post-scriptum: No, it wasn't the cybernetic way contrasting with what Citadel is being now... Okay, kind of; But it didn't marked me. Just that... Can't say no more...)

As for the 16-player limit... I don't know about this, since it's fine for me having less people, but I can't be a point of reference. My computer lag in Minesweeper. HEAVENLY MINESW- It's embarrassing... Having 16 instead of 32 kind of opens the possibility to me to walk in the map without luck-guessing if I'm gonna hit a wall or not and that gives the possibility as well to other people use other servers instead of piling up at Mr. Blonde's only because there's people there (come on... let's be serious... I have nothing against LTK, except where I can only play that because the other option is Arsenal – that I played a lot too – and, sometimes, a random Deathmatch server that pops up out of nowhere with a high ping... but that's things in life). Normally I don't vote for yay or nay because of other people (I won't kick people to the abyss just for me to gain something... so to speak), and this isn't a exception.

...now for the question that some people thinks: Where's Frigate? What happened to it? You didn't just 'forget' lines and files depicting Frigate to be a possible upcoming map...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 09:53:14 pm by JohnRDVSMarston »
Working around to be programmer, voice artist, designer, compositor and writer. If you want help, I'll be much obliged in helping you.

P.S: No, I'm not behind you with a bloody screwdriver. I'm a nice guy! >:D

Troy

• GE:S Coder
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 09:11:10 pm »

The sound tracks sound great.
Complete - Arsenal, One Bullet is Enough, Tournament DM v2, TurboDM
Defunct - Agent Under Fire
VC - Being such a dick, KM must be stroked before springing into action.

viccardenas0

• Agent
  • viccardenas0 has no influence.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 04:32:09 am »

I was disappointed to see that there was a 16 ppl limit in 5.1.... Super bummed out, in fact. I'd like to see 20-24 as the limit. I would think that would be a bit more reasonable. I came on after 5.0 was released but was enamored with the huge, crazy fights with 20+ players. I never would play on the android server that has 28-32 players, because it is just stupid most of the time. But the ones with 16-24 players, like team arsenal or Turbo LTK, seem to be the funnest matches, for me. I love just jumping around and killing 3-4 ppl at the same time... Certain large maps, IMO, are designed for 16+ players and team play games will suffer with the 16 player cap. I would hope you guys change your mind and up the cap to at least 20. Please...

Ethan Couch 

JohnRDVSMarston

• Insania est arcanum
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!JohnRDVSMarston is a rising star!
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 01:39:57 pm »

viccardenas0

Calm down, man. It's still in thought phase. As they said before, it's not set in stone for now, so things can be manageable and flexible. For now, two people (including you) said "cap to 24 instead of 16" and I absented myself of the 'voting' (I don't know if that's considered voting so... yeah...), because my PC is trash and I believe he already has problems when I enter a non-local server, let alone have someone in the same server. :/-

So, for now, things are brighter at your side. Smile, man! :D
Working around to be programmer, voice artist, designer, compositor and writer. If you want help, I'll be much obliged in helping you.

P.S: No, I'm not behind you with a bloody screwdriver. I'm a nice guy! >:D

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 03:20:54 pm »

I have actually been wanting it to be a dynamic maximum since beta.  But the issue is people would get kicked, and thats not cool. (yes, we do have a mechanic to stay on larger maps so that wouldn't happen)   We did play with other ways to handle smaller groups on larger maps by "closing" doors and actually making the play area small.  It would then increase once enough players were on the server.

To say the least we are very innovative for a team just remaking an old game...
(I am the reason why in paintball mode the explosions leave a multi-coloured blast mark)
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

El Dudereno

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 05:34:29 pm »

Instead of players being kicked what about setting it up so when we vote for the next map the only maps shown are ones that can properly handle the current number of players?  Just brainstorming here.   

soupcan

• Lead Systems Administrator
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 214
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 06:06:51 pm »

The current rotation system only picks maps suitable for the current number of players and E-S's voting plugin works the same way. The problem is that GE:S was not designed for more than 16 players, and most maps work best with around 12. When you add more and more players, the number of suitable maps goes down. When you go above 16, nothing works well. Add many more and things start to break.

Tweaklab

• Lead Sound Designer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 113
  • Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!Tweaklab is awe-inspiring!
    • Tweaklab on SoundCloud
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 11:48:18 am »

Thanks for the kind words and feedback gang!

Here's a bonus new track for...

Archives

SoundCloud
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 11:51:54 am by Tweaklab »

Waluigi-Brain-Squeegee

• Agent
  • Waluigi-Brain-Squeegee has no influence.
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 08:03:29 pm »

Another awesome sounding track man, can't wait to actually hear them all in game haha  :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up