GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:18:47 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Adjustable Health Levels  (Read 9866 times)

TacoSupreme

Adjustable Health Levels
« on: January 18, 2011, 09:14:12 pm »

Is there any chance we can get a server variable for different health levels, like there was in the original goldeneye?  It was fun to play at -10 health at time or +10.   I have messed with the health a little bit by making my own scenarios, but that is a lot of work.  I was wondering if there are any plans to make this easier.

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
Re: Adjustable Health Levels
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 10:18:56 pm »

I'm with this idea. Maybe we could see it in the future?
I'm not sure if this was posted before, Though.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 10:40:39 pm »

That is called "handicapping" and no plans, or desire, to do that. The only approved way to do it is to make your own scenarios, as you suggested.

The simple reason is that I don't want to join a server, on good faith, and realize I am Juggernaut or Tiny Tim. A custom scenario (hopefully named, Handicap DM) would clue me off to this effect, whereas a simple Convar would not.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:42:31 pm by killermonkey »

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 01:16:17 am »

It's an all-round bad idea, it worked in GE64 where all 4 of the people in the same room knew their skill level, knew what they wanted and knew what handicap they were setting for themselves...

Allowing servers to set arbitrary health levels? All it does is ruin gameplay by not providing players with a consistent gameplay experience. Then you just divide the playerbase into people who play on servers with large handicaps and people who play near-ltk health levels and people who are pissed off with all the new bullshit and want the old vanilla experience and can't find a good server among the ridiculously customised ones.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 01:20:21 am by Mangley »
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 01:50:10 am »

Hold on a sec I think the idea is really nice when you think about it like this:
each player can handicap himself in his config if he wants to (important: 100% is normal, you can only chose <= 100%). Then bring in some achievements for playing with a handicap config and doing stuff and you'll get:

- more interesting gunfights among different skill levels
- new challenges for good players
- some advantages for new players helping them to pick up the game more easily

That's just what came to my mind when I read about it. Opinions, anyone?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 01:52:47 am by coolDisguise »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 02:22:26 am »

What prevents everyone from setting their handicap to +10 and you end up with the same exact gameplay as you have now?

Think about things, please...

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 06:31:09 pm »

If you can only manipulate the handicap via the GUI and can't set it above 100% that'd be safe enough.
I just thought maybe there are people that would like to show off with some fancy achievements or just enjoy playing with only 50% of their health. But you're right, it really isn't that important, because there are still other things to do.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 08:02:04 pm »

Trying to make handicaps work and deliver a consistent game experience just doesn't really work.

This is really the sort of thing a server mod should do: use player ranks to spot first-timers and give them a bit of a boon for a while.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 10:47:49 pm »

Definitely, if as a 3rd party some people want to try make a system if you can prove via that, that it works? Then we could eventually be convinced to try it ourselves. We don't have time for experimenting with elaborate systems when we have a core mechanic working so good, and other things to focus on.

Good players should be rewarded for being good at our game.

New players should be looking to match their skill level OVER TIME, not instantly be competitive...Gaming should be about reward for effort, not having your chips handed to you
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:50:51 pm by Wake[of]theBunT »

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 06:29:43 pm »

Giving the player the chance to choose his handicap is a bad idea.
Having something like a custom gamemode where everyone has 50% or 200% health could work.
If there somehow would be a leveling system involved, it needs a conter point e.g. a 50% player would get more points for killing a 200% player.

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 03:40:06 am »

Oh please, no levelling system. The main thing I did especially like about this mod was being able to jump right into the action without other players gaining advantages for playing longer than you.

I don't see the points of custom game modes when all players have the same health level and setting via the server would just be unfair, so I came to the thought of letting the player set it himself, but only in a negative direction, so there's no one with uber-health, but since no one approves of that, I suppose it won't happen and frankly it doesn't matter to me as much as (not) having a levelling system.

Emilia

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 08:16:22 am »

I agree with having a custom gamemode for this.
MaJoR: "This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo getting to be awesome"

WNxEuphonic

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 106
  • WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!
    • Euphonic.dev
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 02:45:54 am »

I'm trying to create a gameplay for this...it's easy enough to set everyone's top health, but I'm having trouble doing it well on a player-to-player basis. Any advice from people familiar with the python code?

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 02:54:07 am »

Foggy memory was that the damage multiplyer per player was broken, but global worked. Hence, LTK functions as expected.

What I did was avoid it completely.  For Live and Let Die, I capture all damage events, filter for Baron and Golden Gun explicitly, modifying damage as needed to support:
* Baron takes normal damage to Armor.
* Baron takes modified damage from AuG.
* Baron deals modified damage beyond Level 8.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

WNxEuphonic

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 106
  • WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!
    • Euphonic.dev
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 04:58:04 am »

Hmm, I suppose that could work. I could just define a script that would take any damage event for player i and call play i handicap and then calculate out the damage correctly. My main problem now is finding an easy way to define each player's individual handicap easily. Maybe this would work better as a server plugin then as a gameplay...unless people were find with just a global handicap for all the players.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up