GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:34:54 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Impressions on GE:S Beta 4  (Read 2932 times)

TimrodDX

First Impressions on GE:S Beta 4
« on: December 16, 2010, 02:55:49 am »

I just tried this mod for the first time today. I was a pretty avid Goldeneye player back on the N64, and play TF2 and other FPSes pretty frequently.

I tried a couple of rounds on a couple of different servers - 3 or 4 on Cradle (Standard DM), a few on Facility, and one or two on the jail level (Stacks?). I also read a bit on the forums about why certain features were implemented.

I want to start by saying that a lot of the "features" in this game feel more like engine limitations from the N64. Let me explain:

Issue A: No Damage Fall-Off. This was a huge problem for me on Cradle, where for one of the rounds the "Precision" weapons set was selected, which includes both the Golden Gun and the Gold PP7. My issue here was that since there's no damage fall-off or clunky N64 controller in my way, I could just sit on top of one of the support towers and shoot at people off in the distance, scoring instant kills. On the N64 this wasn't really an issue because you had the big clunky analog stick, combined with the fact that you had to stop moving to aim. On the Source Engine, it lead to a lot of people rushing the Golden Gun and camping with nothing to stop them.

Issue B: No random spawns. While I understand this is a beloved part of the original Goldeneye, I feel like it was more of an engine limitation the first time around - you didn't have more than four people, so why bother wasting precious system memory on random spawn locations? This makes License to Kill mode feel incredibly un-fun, due to the sheer amount of times I died immediately after spawning.

Issue C: Damage. I understand about the invincibility periods, but again, I feel that was more of an engine limitation than a feature. On the N64, again, you had the big clunky analog stick, and turning around was not an easy task. On the Source Engine, you have a mouse and keyboard. The invincibility period feels very unfair, and makes the automatic weapons (RC-P90, Phantom, D5k, etc) feel kind of useless. There were several points during a round of Aztec where I would be firing multiple bursts into an enemy's chest with the P90, only for them to kill me in one or two (non-headshot) hits from a shotgun. I can understand the need for slightly odd hitboxes, but the invincibility period feels really cheap.

Other than that, the game was fun enough, but I really think some of these "features" should be looked into and reclassified as engine limitations that just don't have a place in a modern shooter.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: First Impressions on GE:S Beta 4
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 03:03:01 am »

Invulnerability period was a gameplay mechanic developed by the game designer, not an engine limitation. You are confusing limitation with design.

The period makes sense, it limits the RATE of damage one can apply to your enemy, and that they can apply to you. To call it unfair makes no sense considering everyone has the same invulnerability mechanic applied to them (no handicaps!).

Random spawns? do you mean picking a random location on the map and spawning you there? That suggestion makes no sense, imagine my code picking a random spot on cradle to spawn, oops you are falling!

Damage Fall-off, do you mean decreased damage the further the bullet travels?

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 04:24:22 am »

I might point out that whilst you are talking about supposed engine limitations on the 64, Source has limitations too, many that have to be worked around when designing certain aspects of the mod.

Try to recognise and appreciate what's at the heart of the mod, which is recreating Goldeneye. Not a carbon copy, but a faithful reiteration. The damage system, weapons, everything like that is based off the original game.

Throw in realistic aspects like damage falloff, realistic reloads, ironsights and you basically throw out everything that sets Goldeneye apart from every other generic shooter out there.

Comprimise can't be made for the sake of gameplay on one specific map (cradle) which as far as maps go tends to throw all of the rules out of the window, there's as much vertical combat as horizontal combat, long range combat with few visual obsticles. Most maps are indoors with lots of cover and close quarters combat.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

RobbeR49

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • RobbeR49 has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 01:53:30 pm »

Cradle and maybe Runway are the only maps where Damage Fall-off would really even matter. It's usually not that big of an issue anyway you just happened to run into one of the crazier weaponsets with golden guns & PP7s in it.

And you can't take away damage from the golden gun, it has to kill you in one shot.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 03:56:06 pm »

Odd that no one has pointed out the thread's title..

Other than that, the game was fun enough, but I really think some of these "features" should be looked into and reclassified as engine limitations that just don't have a place in a modern shooter.
I think you're missing the point here.
The entire point is to modernize, not convert GE007 into another generic FPS.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC
Pages: [1]   Go Up