GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:00:41 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Off to Burning Man!  (Read 9505 times)

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!
Off to Burning Man!
« on: August 26, 2011, 11:30:52 am »

I'm about to spend a week in a desert in the middle of freakin' nowhere. With 80,000 other people. No cell phone service, internet, electricity, water... nothing. Just a sizable city we set up and, after a week-long nonstop rager, pack up and leave without a trace.

Burning man is the wildest party the planet has ever thrown. It's a mini society built to bring adults back to their childhood imaginations. Black Rock City, a place that only comes into existence for a single week every year, has it's own newspaper, radio station, and even a DMV. Department for Mutant Vehicles. Most people rough it, bumming around from camp to camp without the luxury of bathing. I'll be staying in a very wealthy man's RV with air conditioning and a shower :)

I'm the lead electrical designer for the Tetrion stage. I've been working with the owner of Tetris over the summer to make the trippiest light show on the Playa. I've created an organic pair of wings that actuate and fold over the audience, with individually addressable LEDs fixed to the rods that act like bones. People are going to remember my stage.

I also pimped out his mutant vehicle, a golf cart. Same principals as the stage; actuating wings and LED bones. Here's a video of the car running at night. It's hard to get a sense of scale since the golf cart is hard to see, but my buddy walks into frame at some point.

If this is the first time any of you have heard of Burning Man, you really should google it and see what kind of whacky shit goes on there. It's quite possible I'll triple the number of notches on my belt within this single week. Wish my penis luck.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: Off to Burning Man!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 11:40:56 am »

Looks awesome! You should put some sine wave pulses running down the bones, that would look sick IMO. You could then pulse out harmonic components of the song playing, the interference across the bone a multiple waves clash might look awesome.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 01:22:43 pm »

Bass is in the mainland, hide your women.

haha, have fun man. I know a couple of people who go every year, it's something would be awesome to go try/experiences.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

liamcadhain

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 02:44:47 pm »

Sounds like fun anyway. Enjoy the week :)

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 09:09:22 pm »

Man, I'd love to go there one day! I envy you.
Have a nice trip there, Dude!

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 03:14:16 am »

How exactly does one put an online community in his will, say, in the off chance he were to be fucked to death by a horde of women on ecstasy?

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 03:45:55 am »

look for my friend dasha, shes going to be nyan cat
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 03:59:42 am »

Do you really want me looking for your friend dasha? Just think about the implications of that question. Especially if shes nyan cat.  Meow.

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 11:24:50 am »

I bet Dasha is a man and Spider is playing an elaborate joke...

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 08:23:29 pm »

Do you really want me looking for your friend dasha? Just think about the implications of that question. Especially if shes nyan cat.  Meow.

i will be your long distance wing man lol
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 06:41:58 pm »

I'm in Reno sharing a room with a professional magician. The town is completely overrun with hippies wearing ridiculous shit. I ended up buying a hilariously large, yet incredibly functional sombrero. I've handed out my album to a variety of DJ's, so I'll be filming the crowd tripping the fuck out to my music :)

Mike [fourtecks]

• Disregard KM, acquire death threats.
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 11:31:56 pm »

Loafie goes to burning man every year I think. Keep an eye out for him.
ge_facility, ge_facility_backzone, ge_control

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 01:10:04 am »

Burning Man was a life changing experience. Black Rock City really is a complete city that thrives on its residents having a great time. It's a massive party that goes for an entire week. Waking up on a random couch in a random part of the city and being brought breakfast by it's owner when I woke up morning after morning was unreal. Having lengthy, meaningful conversations with random strangers about the applications of microcontrollers and FPGA's in terms of speedy, high channel multiplexing while completely fucked off my ass was absolutely wonderful. Many burners are very intelligent. And according to Cracked.com, the higher your IQ, the more likely you are to be tripping balls at any given time.

My week in Black Rock City was epic. So epic that I'll be doing a three part story about it in the near future. For now, check out my stage and art car lighting for the Tetris stage (yes, I work for the owner of Tetris).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25686183/Tetrion.mp4

The lights have many functions, including music reactivity, but they only played one animation for the duration of the video. The same softare is loaded on the art car, demonstrating other patterns.

Here's a timelapse I shot from our stage on Friday night, the night the effigy burned.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25686183/Tetrion%20-%20Timelapse.mp4

mbsurfer

• Inactive Tester
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 06:09:33 am »

That timelapse is SO sick! Did you see loafie? :P

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 10:58:44 am »

I did not see the loaf.
Pages: [1]   Go Up