GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 10:25:31 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Google Chrome  (Read 20057 times)

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Loafie, Hero of Dreams has no influence.
Google Chrome
« on: September 03, 2008, 09:31:57 pm »

Google released their own browser. As much as I love Firefox, Chrome takes up half as many resources and is way faster, though it doesn't yet seem to have addons. Give it a looksie

http://www.google.com/chrome

Speed Test
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10030888-92.html?part=rss
maps in production: ge_temple maps released: ge_caves, ge_complex, ge_complex_classic
Loafie, Hero of Dreams is watching Big Love
fourtecks: you are watching basstronix?

davidc538

• Programmer
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • davidc538 has no influence.
Re: Google Chrome
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 09:52:29 pm »

i have my doubts, but ill try it
You were the lightning in that rain, you can still shine through the darkness...

davidc538

• Programmer
  • Agent
  • davidc538 has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 10:04:39 pm »

its crap, stickin to firefox for now, this browser seems far to new and seems to lack the most basic features, id give it at least 6 months before it proves worth using
You were the lightning in that rain, you can still shine through the darkness...

Ryan [Saiz]

• Retired Developer
  • Ryan [Saiz] is looked down upon.
    • My Site
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 01:01:12 am »

I am switching to chrome just because it loads everything a lot faster and takes up less resources. It does have some neat features though. Sadly I am probabily leaving firefox behind :( unless chrome decides to turn rogue and crash my pc haha.
Quote from: Loafie, Hero of Dreams
He's kind of like a tornado. He's not around all the time, but when he is, shit gets moved hahaha

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 02:40:23 am »

Yea, its missing far too many features to replace firefox for me.  I didn't really notice any speed improvements either, definitely nothing that was enough to leave firefox.  It's open source though, and google has said they they encourage any other browsers to take any parts of it they want, so hopefully firefox will incorporate anything that chrome does better. 
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

Deed

• Agent
  • Deed has no influence.
    • HAHAHAHA; FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 04:10:11 am »

The only thing I really miss from Firefox is adblock and gestures.  Also better scrolling.

Otherwise holy fuck, before I got cold feet and returned to Firefox, but this is awesome and I'm using it again.

Anyone who thinks this is shitty deserves to be dragged out and shot/fed to /g/.

I once jerked off on facility with the m4 in my hand...

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 04:35:20 am »

I hate having to choose between speed and function. I still have a single core 2ghz cpu, so ff takes a good slice of pie
maps in production: ge_temple maps released: ge_caves, ge_complex, ge_complex_classic

Cyan

• Secret Agent
  • Cyan has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 04:58:23 am »

I develop web applications and have been testing chrome on the sites I manage. I notice that the JavaScript part runs notably faster than Firefox and Safari (chrome's closest relative), then goes for circles around IE6 and IE7. However I think safari will do the initial loading of the page faster, and chrome has an issue right now (I tested on external sites to verify it wasn't just our work) where it will periodically do incomplete loads (hitting refresh will completely load the page), but this will probably be one of the first issues addressed.

The main area that it has benefits is if the pages have heavy JavaScript/AJAX usage, especially if you are running many tabs and as the number of cores you have in your computer increases. Features I like is pulling tabs off and they become their own window (granted already on safari). Followed closely native support for pages to load once then practically be an application on the desktop.

The release of Firefox 3, Safari 4, IE8 and Chrome has me optimistic the coming year will be the best for cross platform development. If only IE8 after it's release could take the majority of IE's market share away from IE6 and IE7 quickly it would make my year. IE6 can burn in hell, hopefully IE7 will just have a quick quiet death. These would cut out 70% of the testing and debugging I do.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 05:10:00 am by Cyan »

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 10:57:58 am »

If only IE8 after it's release could take the majority of IE's market share away from IE6 and IE7 quickly it would make my year. IE6 can burn in hell, hopefully IE7 will just have a quick quiet death. These would cut out 70% of the testing and debugging I do.
QFT!!!

As a user, chrone can be something to give a try. Won't use it, I'm way too addicted to adblock. But as a developer, it's yet another browser to test, and debug. If you still want your JS to be IE6 compliant (because your client wants so), its a pain in the ass... IE6, IE7, IE8, FF3, Chrome, Safari, Opera. Duh :(

X-tra

• -
  • 00 Agent
  • X-tra is looked down upon.
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 12:25:30 pm »

Bah... i heard about chrome but... Nah... not now. I'm still using this little red fox ^_^ !!!

... firefox...
Just in case, I'm French. So if you see that some of my sentences dosen't make any sens, you know why. But hey, who care anyway ?

Deed

• Agent
  • Deed has no influence.
    • HAHAHAHA; FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 01:31:33 pm »

enjoy ur yaff

I once jerked off on facility with the m4 in my hand...

Ryan [Saiz]

• Retired Developer
    • My Site
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 04:44:02 am »

Few things I dont like about chrome. Firefox I would middle mouse click the back button to open the previous window in a new tab, don't work like that in chrome. Another thing is when i click the middle button down it doesn't give me the scrolling option in chrome. Other than those it's fairly nice it is still new and kinda of bland but we will have to see what will come in the future.

Edit

Found another thing I can not stand about chrome. Pictures that are hotlinked or something that i open in a new tab it just downloads them and doesn't let me view them in the browser.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 07:31:19 am by Ryan [Saiz] »
He's kind of like a tornado. He's not around all the time, but when he is, shit gets moved hahaha

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 11:49:15 am »

Few things I dont like about chrome. Firefox I would middle mouse click the back button to open the previous window in a new tab, don't work like that in chrome. Another thing is when i click the middle button down it doesn't give me the scrolling option in chrome. Other than those it's fairly nice it is still new and kinda of bland but we will have to see what will come in the future.

Edit

Found another thing I can not stand about chrome. Pictures that are hotlinked or something that i open in a new tab it just downloads them and doesn't let me view them in the browser.

Those are the exact features I use a lot, and I don't use a lot big features on browsers but those little things I like. Heck I'm writeing this laying in bed on my iPod so I use a lot browsers but I think I might have to pass on this for a while.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Ryan [Saiz]

• Retired Developer
    • My Site
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 11:45:18 pm »

Yep, I am back to good old firefox I got annoyed and uninstalled chrome. Better luck next time haha.

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 12:28:45 am »

the data center computation is starting to bug me. it hiccups like a bastard
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up