GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 25, 2024, 12:21:09 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Solutions to empty servers  (Read 5453 times)

glinkot

Solutions to empty servers
« on: May 25, 2009, 02:48:09 am »

I reckong GE is the best thing since sliced bread.

Funnily enough the first time I logged in, there was a server of about 12 people.  Now I check randomly and mostly the 3 servers I can see are empty.  I've only managed 1 or 2 games since then, which is weird given how popular the forums are.  The issue is that one poor bugger has to run around by himself for some time before others see him there and join!  Like me, most people probably boot GE up, see the servers are empty, and log back off.

Two solutions I could think of and they may have been considered already:

a) (easy fix) publish a little schedule so everyone can head on at a couple of 'agreed times' each day.
b) (more effort) setup a couple of bots on each server which disappear when real humans arrive.

Any thoughts?

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
Re: Solutions to empty servers
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 09:59:39 am »

Uncheck the "show maplist" in the server browser and check your filter settings. If everything's set correctly you should see 20+ servers.

Bot's are not a solution for this, some ppl who join a server would feel tricked when there are only faked players on it.
Beside that, it's not reallyhard to determine if there are bots on a server (latency -1), even without joining it.

Working bots are not implemented in beta 3 and the maps ain't got the navigation entities needed for the bot AI. I saw bots on maps without these entities and they were pretty useless.

Sadly, most of the time there's only one server populated and sometimes it's allmost overcrowded.
I rather would like to see a few servers with 3-4 ppl then one server with 16 ppl on.

If you wanna play GES on a regular base, you should considder to join a clan or get some ppl who also play a lot and found your own clan.

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 11:26:34 am »

Uncheck the "show maplist" in the server browser
This.

I dont see where the problem is, really. Each time I play GES, there is always a populated server.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 11:30:46 am by Doc.NO »

The Beatles pwn j00!

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 01:23:36 pm »

WNx Chicago is the only one that people seem to use on a regular basis. I do wish more servers were used.

Just to say, 24/7 LTK servers are a great, great shame according to my tastes and opinion. Or 24/7 anything, really (but especially no skill, back-shooting mode aka LTK). Gotta love the random gamemode thing. Especially once you guys get the other modes implemented into the game. You get a little of everything. Nice.

Also, LTK on Cradle should be a crime.

I don't really have anything meaningful to add...

(brag time)

...now look at mah (wnx server) stats! :D I have the highest accuracy next to VC (out of people who have played a decent amount of time). Aww, yeah!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 05:30:10 pm by The Beatles pwn j00! »

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 06:14:58 pm »

*Off Topic*

Think I'm gonna stop playing GE, cause I'm a Major on the stats, and it fits so well.

All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 09:24:32 pm »

I've quit until Beta 4.  Now that the motion warping is fixed, I would feel silly subjecting myself to it.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

glinkot

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 04:09:44 am »

Hmm interesting.  I always see only 3 servers, mostly they have 0 players but sometimes its got 1 or 2 people.  Maybe playing from australia means I choose 'odd' times, but still there's only those 3:

Boners Eye
BrazenGaming
ESEA

Maybe my config is wrong, any tips?

Thx

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 04:56:13 am »

You still have to have some sort of filter on, looks like a area filter if your only seeing aussy servers.

Right Click and click "view image" or whatever to see in full res.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 09:49:10 am »

Boners Eye
BrazenGaming
ESEA
These are beta 3.0 servers. Update your client up to the latest GES verion, beta 3.1, and you'll have more servers, and more populated servers :)

I've quit until Beta 4. And got back into TF2 which isn't that rotten anymore with those new spy weapons.
fixed!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 09:54:57 am by Doc.NO »

glinkot

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 10:27:33 am »

Doc.No you are absolutely right! I assumed I'd gotten the latest version, because when I dl'd it a week or so ago I got the full version and saw the update announcement was a couple of months previous.  But I needed the patch.

Now I see lots of servers!  Noone on right now but I'm sure I'll have heaps more luck now I'm not one of the 3 people left on the old version... :)

Many thanks!

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 07:20:00 am »

Yes make sure you have beta 3.1 FULL install from our wiki download section

OR

Get the patch off the wiki download section for those who have 3.0 installed
Pages: [1]   Go Up