GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 25, 2024, 03:31:26 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HL2 flashlight with sounds?  (Read 5396 times)

jjmusicnotes

HL2 flashlight with sounds?
« on: March 21, 2009, 04:55:34 am »

I have perused the forum for this topic, but was not able to find anything similar.  I have a question about the use of a flashlight in Beta 3.1 - it seems that on some maps (Egyptian comes to mind,) the use of a flashlight is available.

To my knowledge, the flashlight looks the same, and sounds the same as the one in HL2. 

Is there suppose to be a flashlight?

Just thought I would ask since I wasn't sure if this was something from the Beta or if it was merely server-enabled.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
Re: HL2 flashlight with sounds?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 04:57:22 am »

I believe flashlight is a server thing. Some have it, some don't.

Meh. That's something that really doesn't need changing, unless removing all HL sounds is part of the GE:S policy.

{Edited for typo}
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 06:27:58 pm by Rodney 1.666 »
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 06:28:24 pm »

I think that they're trying to change all the sounds, or at least I hope they're trying to. It's part of what makes me feel like I'm playing GoldenEye, and not just some HL2 mod.  I think that the sound should be changed from that unique hl2 sound that doesn't even sound like a flashlight to the simple click-on and click-off sounds that you hear from a heavy-duty mag-lite flashlight, similar to the flashlight sounds of Zombie Panic.

As for the look of the flashlight, it obviously isn't top priority, but something that would be neat is if instead of casting a beam of light, just a small bubble of area would be illuminated by the player, similar to what you can see with the black fog effects of surface 2 and depot in GoldenEye 64. However, an issue with this is how it would look from third person. It would probably look as if they're carrying a white torch with them(strange looking), while the current flashlight works fine and looks like it's attached to the gun.

Meh. I'm rambling, but just to share some of my ideas.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 11:08:22 am »

If it bothers you that much I Recorded my Maglite 3 D-Cell on switch

http://resistance-tester.com/gametools/GES/flashlight1.wav

Place it in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\gesource\sound\items

Just a quick mock up using audacity I am sure the sound engineers can do way better.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 11:23:24 am by keefy »

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 04:12:57 pm »

haha, thanks for the sound :P

I doesn't bother me, I was just wondering if the sound/flashlight was supposed to be in the game.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 07:15:17 pm »

Nice.
I'll use it. ;)

Reminds me of the flashlight in Blood II. (PC)
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC
Pages: [1]   Go Up