GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 12:04:40 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: First thoughts and impressions  (Read 9122 times)

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
Re: First thoughts and impressions
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 03:26:46 am »

I've generally explained the attitude of the GES to be kind of like the old VW bug and the new Beetle

yea its a bit different, but there's so many things that bring back old memory's of the car you loved before. the entire goal of the project has always been "if rare was around today, how would they make GE64.
so while we will never make a 100% clone just in the HL2 engine we are always trying to hit the key points to be able to try to push the nostalgia as much as possible. if you have any ideas on how to do that, we are always open to hear them.

you mentioned that you don't like how the new levels are to detailed, but thats one of those things we feel that rare, and a contemporary audience wants in the game. but for those who don't want that we have the classic maps so we kind of give you the best of both worlds in that regard.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 03:33:48 pm »

yea its a bit different, but there's so many things that bring back old memory's of the car you loved before. the entire goal of the project has always been "if rare was around today, how would they make GE64.
so while we will never make a 100% clone just in the HL2 engine we are always trying to hit the key points to be able to try to push the nostalgia as much as possible. if you have any ideas on how to do that, we are always open to hear them.

you mentioned that you don't like how the new levels are to detailed, but thats one of those things we feel that rare, and a contemporary audience wants in the game. but for those who don't want that we have the classic maps so we kind of give you the best of both worlds in that regard.

I second this entirely.  I remember the very first time I played GE:S, and was absolutely floored by the attention to detail of maps that I loved so much.  I remember walking through each of the levels, and running to specific parts to "see if they remembered to get this," and every single time, everything was always where I expected it to be.

I remember walking through the facility map for the first time, and being absolutely stunned by the added architecture, aesthetics, and atmosphere.  I thought to myself "this is the way the level should have always been made," and I thought to myself that if Rare had the technology that we have today then, the map would have looked very similar.

I spent a lot of time offline, just walking around the maps, enjoying all the familiar textures, innovative design, and props.  Everything just seemed to work, and it was exciting to see such an over-the-top reproduction of my favorite bond game of the series.  I've played almost all of them, and GE is still my favorite.

Those who nay-say this mod and the team creating it, are merely demonstrating how little of a relationship they had with the original game.  They don't appreciate the nostalgia that the team is working so hard to recreate and re-envision for a younger generation - and while constructive criticism should be a healthy part of any project, complaining about things for the sake of complaining lends itself into being tangled up in noise.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 06:20:00 pm »

"demonstrating how little of a relationship they had with the original game."

++rep
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 04:36:56 pm »

Most movies I have wastched have a VW of some sort in it.
If not VW its a Volvo.

double0killa

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • double0killa is looked down upon.
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 05:52:13 pm »

all i got to say is I play the original version of the game ALMOST EVERYDAY at work. Yea, when work is slow, we pass the time with a good game of what is most likely, THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME.

Trust me when i tell you. this game is as close as a  remake comes to the original. Keep in mind the devs DO NOT USE RARE'S ENGINE.  From what i understand, they cant do but so much because of Valve's restrictions.  Whatever the case may be, the levels are done well. I like to remix of the complex and facility. 

Anyone who was a die hard GE fan of the 64 would love this game.
Its not a exact copy, but neither is that Peyton Manning jersey you wear.......
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 06:23:47 pm by double0killa »
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up