GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 16, 2024, 02:22:35 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: PROXIMITY MINES  (Read 32045 times)

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
Re: PROXIMITY MINES
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2009, 10:58:51 am »

best thing to do is play on a server with less people. i find that around 16+ tends to be to many people, and ends up being a bit more like a destruction derby Chaos kill fest. when you play with less people the game gives you more of a chance to run pick up a weapon and go chase down your victims. but when your playing with 16+ people on maps intended for 4 players... your going to run into some issues like being shot in the back by freshly spawned players.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Ryan [Saiz]

• Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Ryan [Saiz] is looked down upon.
    • My Site
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2009, 02:21:58 pm »

Currently the dev's are working on a system that will hopefully be in place in either a patch but most likely beta 4 where the mines will have a particle effect that flashes with the lights on the mines that will make players more aware of were active mines are.

But they will be in beta 4 most likely if everything works out.
Quote from: Loafie, Hero of Dreams
He's kind of like a tornado. He's not around all the time, but when he is, shit gets moved hahaha

drukqaddik

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • drukqaddik has no influence.
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 10:59:56 pm »

thats a bad idea... ge64 didnt have that. you just had to take your chances :(

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2009, 01:38:49 am »

well, heres our thinking on including that.

proxy's are a pain in the ass they are hard to detect even if they are in plain site. adding a light would force a bit more skill and planning to use them. we wouldn't do a UBER light on them, it would only be something subtle. this also accomplishes another issue we have currently for the mines, which is how do you tell when a proxy is dropped from a player, or thrown and armed?

so this is one of the areas the devs have been thinking of for a while where we would diverge from the original in order to balance the proxys out and make them a bit less of a easy kill weapon, and more into something that requires a bit of strategies and thinking.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

mincho

• Agent
  • mincho has no influence.
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2009, 05:41:48 am »

in the original GE64, when you threw a prox mine and there were other mines around where you threw it, the mines would detonate each other.  Haven't seen this behavior in GE:S, is it something you guys are planning?

Pretty handy for clearing a path if you are trapped.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2009, 06:32:28 am »

If I recall, you could trigger them by knocking an ammo crate around, too.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

drukqaddik

• 00 Agent
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2009, 07:16:32 am »

i see your point with the lights. maybe have two mine textures so that the server can choose which one. for more people maybe have the lights on. still not a big fan of the lights. but having all entities trigger the mines would be a good addition.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2009, 12:27:08 pm »

If I recall correctly, the explosion of a mine, regardless the type, will detonate any other mines in the vicinity.

I agree with the light addition; sometimes I shoot the mines that players drop (and I'm not aware of ) just to make sure they are not armed. It will definitely be a welcomed addition to gameplay and I think that way servers will be able to bring back the proxies without much complaint.

drukqaddik

• 00 Agent
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2009, 01:03:59 pm »

something i noticed whilst playing is that if you shoot someone elses mine to kill someone it gives the mine deployer the kill instead of the person shooting the mine. dunno how to fix that but kinda bugged me a few games ago.

PPK

• PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2009, 01:19:48 pm »

something i noticed whilst playing is that if you shoot someone elses mine to kill someone it gives the mine deployer the kill instead of the person shooting the mine. dunno how to fix that but kinda bugged me a few games ago.

It has a certain logic, because you only scored the kill because someone else planted a mine there.

drukqaddik

• 00 Agent
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2009, 08:54:36 am »

but i still killed them, and original 007 gave the kill to the mine shooter not the mine planter.

Ryan [Saiz]

• Retired Developer
  • Ryan [Saiz] is looked down upon.
    • My Site
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2009, 09:56:26 am »

i see your point with the lights. maybe have two mine textures so that the server can choose which one. for more people maybe have the lights on. still not a big fan of the lights. but having all entities trigger the mines would be a good addition.

If we did a light it would not be texture based but most likely particle based. Right now it already has a texture that flashes but it isn't bright enough and players do not see the mines.
Quote from: Loafie, Hero of Dreams
He's kind of like a tornado. He's not around all the time, but when he is, shit gets moved hahaha

drukqaddik

• 00 Agent
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2009, 10:07:39 am »

got ya. dont exactly know how all that works. but stll asking, would you be able to diasble the 'particle' aspect of this specific entity in the console?

Nesseight

• Agent
  • Nesseight has no influence.
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2009, 05:18:58 am »

I didn't really enjoy playing Complex on a rather large, packed server when somehow everyone spawned with prox mines. There was no skill. You would have to wait to see if any mines would detonate, and when the coast was clear, mine the entrances to your area without moving an inch and pray for the best.

It was to my horror when I realized that throwing a mine into a minefield or shooting a weapon or ammo crate nearby wouldn't detonate the prox mines.

I like GES, but I am seeing explosives way to often. Even in 1v1 it's not much fun when you auto-die while looking for a weapon. In GE64 you could at least see your opponent's screen and know where they were placing mines should you be observant, in this GES it's pretty much a simulation as to why historically, minefields are sometimes considered to be a not-so-great idea. Yes, they defend your borders, but after the battle they tend to linger...

GES explosions are much more quick and realistic, too. IN GE64 you could pretty much use mines to build a wall of flames until it got too close and could kill you. This may not be desirable in GES, but there could at least be some lingering smoke to help show where a mine went off.

This is probably just a side-effect of server admins using nasty cvars to do their evil bidding more than a flaw in the mod itself, but I cringe whenever there's 18+ players and I see the text "someone killed someone else with a proximity mine".

Also, I tend to be more worried about the man with a crapload of mines than the man with the golden gun...

Sorry if this seems whiny, but in their current state prox mines detract from the game for me.

PPK

• Warrior Nation
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2009, 10:52:50 am »

Rolling explosions, like the ones in GE007, are planned.

The reason you see many explosives on servers is because of the random weapon layout. It's a drawback of the concept and many servers haven't abandoned it yet because it simply is easier than making your own custom weapon set. Don't worry though for server host guidelines will be published in order to guide server hosts to set them up correctly.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up