GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 16, 2024, 09:45:45 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two sound and music ideas  (Read 5299 times)

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
Two sound and music ideas
« on: April 01, 2011, 12:04:43 am »

Hello everybody. I just thought of two ideas that could be implemented when the game ends or is about to end.
One of these ideas were present in the original, And I thought about the other one myself.
I'm not sure this could be possible, But I'm just sharing it with you guys, Wondering what are your thoughts on these ideas.

First idea : When a multiplayer match was about to end on the Nintendo 64, You could hear an alarm sound to signify the end of a game. Although maybe some people wouldn't like it because they think it would get annoying after a while, So I thought that it shouldn't sound too loud, Or there could be a 'toggle end game alarm on-off' button on the select team menu (Because I believe I've read adding options in the options menu is a pain in the a.)

Second idea : This one might take the sound designers some time. You could hear X versions of certain level songs whilst playing a normal multiplayer match. (Example - Runway X : )
Although you would hear the song on repeat for the whole match.
My idea is to play these songs when there is only one minute left to the match, To create that small dramatic effect like "One minute left, Give your best shot!".

Since most of the X versions lasts 50-60 seconds, The 5 second alarm could go well with this when the match has one minute left until the end of a match, The alarm would play when the 'X' version of the song would end.
(On respective level. Example : Runway X on ge_runway. Unless it is complex/library/temple etc, It would play a random one.)

Tell me what you guys think.

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
Re: Two sound and music ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 12:25:25 am »

One of the things that bothered me is that on certain levels such as Runway i see alarms and when i try to turn them on they dont do anything

Yes i love the X songs- particulary Egyptain, Runway X, Surface 2 X, Bunker 1 X

the idea of the overtime..well i was thinking when it starts to get to 00:59 the X music should play

i agree

namajnaG

• namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 12:29:07 am »

They are probably decorative. I don't think you can activate any alarms in GE:S. I never tried either.
And actually, I did not mean overtime. I just mean't when it gets to 00:59 the song should start playing.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 01:34:45 am »

I like this idea a lot, start playing the music when x percentage of the round remains. Depends on if we'd be able to get one of our music artists to put together a lot of those X songs to go with our existing tracks.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 02:48:49 am »

Well the X songs are only about 59 seconds each. So it's a smaller investment in the replication. But still something that's totally gonna be up to them :)

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 04:39:02 am »

One of the things that bothered me is that on certain levels such as Runway i see alarms and when i try to turn them on they dont do anything

This was tried back in early runway days where the alarms actually activated the system...it got really old quick as people would just set them off and on all the time. It was removed cause it ruined the feel.

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 09:30:57 am »

@Alarms: the problem is there is always someone who'd activate the alarm and it'll get annoyn by time.
A short alarm when there's only one minute left (or 30 seconds) sounds like a good idea though.

@X versions of the music: this would not only cause a lot of work for the musicans but also might get in conflict with our current levelmusic system.

namajnaG

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 10:01:52 am »

@Alarms: the problem is there is always someone who'd activate the alarm and it'll get annoyn by time.
A short alarm when there's only one minute left (or 30 seconds) sounds like a good idea though.

Oh sorry, That's not what I mean't.
Remember when you usually played a GE64 match, When there was like 5 seconds left, An alarm would play. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeQJQQUjWus&t=9m48s Like that.

I didn't mean to put toggleable alarms in the map, I meant to toggle the alarm sound on and off if you did not want to hear it at the end of the game.

@X versions of the music: this would not only cause a lot of work for the musicans but also might get in conflict with our current levelmusic system.

I do understand this is a lot of work required from the music dev's and if it sounds too hard for the game to adapt to it, Then forget that idea then. Unless someone is really willing to do it. That, I doubt. I'd love to give my support but I have no experience.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 10:39:38 am »

X songs not hard, we can give it a try. It's one or the other, x songs or end alarm. If you use both it becomes a disco or rave.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 11:38:32 am »

If you use both it becomes a disco or rave.

Don't give bass ideas!

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 12:24:46 pm »

I think the X songs are all good enough to merit their own expanded remixes rather than just be a minute long.

We could go as far as to have some sort of system for loading an X song corresponding to the current song playing for the final round of a map. Or even fade into an X song for Overtime gameplay events.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 01:31:42 pm »

I think the X songs are all good enough to merit their own expanded remixes rather than just be a minute long.

We could go as far as to have some sort of system for loading an X song corresponding to the current song playing for the final round of a map. Or even fade into an X song for Overtime gameplay events.

good idea- its worth trying it first as it may not be everyones taste. however i think Egyptain X would fit perfectly in the live and let die gameplay mode (my own opinion though)
Pages: [1]   Go Up