GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 04:22:42 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Motion Blur and Source Recorder?  (Read 15303 times)

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
Motion Blur and Source Recorder?
« on: February 20, 2009, 10:39:50 pm »

Hi, I've been doing some work on my second GoldenEye: Source Beta 3 trailer, which is essentially a stylized frag video, like VC's, but with a more cinematic feel and crazy staged shots. One of the things I've been trying to get in the video are extra bloom and motion blur, but I've been having some real issues getting the motion blur to render properly when I go to save the demo file as an AVI within source (I can't afford fraps at the moment). Essentially, all that happens is that it doesn't show up in the least, even when I turn the intensity up 50x the default, so that when you play back the demo in the engine the motion blur kicks in even with the slightest twitch of the mouse.

Here's what it looks like when playing back the demo file:

Then it goes back to normal while rendering as an AVI file(I'm doing the same rapid turn here as in the above shot):

I was planning on using the motion blur effect combined with rapid turning as a form of transitioning between shots.

Source recorder seems to be one of those things which has very little documentation (only one short page in the Valve Developer Wiki, I'm mostly self-taught), and I was just curious to know if anyone else has any idea of how to solve this problem.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 10:49:09 pm by The SSL »
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
Re: Motion Blur and Source Recorder?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 12:14:18 am »

Just add the motion blur to the non-blurred AVI in your video editor.  The ammo digits will swirl a bit but that's not particularly important.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 01:47:48 am »

Since motion blur is a post process effect I bet it gets bypassed for output sources

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 01:57:56 am »

wow... km really wanted to post that...

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 02:13:26 am »

Lol, nice multi post KM.

Fixed
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 02:18:35 am »

Works fine for me look its probably your gfx card like KM says.  Is it DX 8.1 only?
FFS when making movies turn the netgraph off and sign out of friends.
Turn AA up and AF infact all settings to max.

I normally render to screeenshots then use virtualdub to convert into uncompressed avi or directly into the codec of my choice if its for a small clip.

Do not use Fraps, stick with the source tools even if they are a struggle, you will see the benefits when fininished.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 02:39:28 am by keefy »

X-tra

• -
  • 00 Agent
  • X-tra is looked down upon.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 03:10:52 am »

Too bad I haven't see KM's multi post...

How many posts this time?
Just in case, I'm French. So if you see that some of my sentences dosen't make any sens, you know why. But hey, who care anyway ?

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 03:27:49 am »

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 04:14:52 pm »

Too bad I haven't see KM's multi post...

How many posts this time?

That's work of the devil

@keefy: SSL's GFX card is a GeForce 9500 if I'm not mistaken.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 12:53:59 am »

I was posting from my phone and went through a subway tunnel at the time of the post... HAHA I rule

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 09:19:37 pm »

Someone post a screenshot of what the forums look like on a fucking phone LOlolol Im curious how random it looks.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 10:47:41 pm »

All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 02:49:08 am »

Hehe actually that looks kinda sweet. I dont have a cell capable of doing this.

So anyway yeah id say just use fraps if you can.

brex

• Agent
  • brex has no influence.
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 11:00:03 am »

Hi, I've been doing some work on my second GoldenEye: Source Beta 3 trailer, which is essentially a stylized frag video, like VC's, but with a more cinematic feel and crazy staged shots. One of the things I've been trying to get in the video are extra bloom and motion blur, but I've been having some real issues getting the motion blur to render properly when I go to save the demo file as an AVI within source (I can't afford fraps at the moment). Essentially, all that happens is that it doesn't show up in the least, even when I turn the intensity up 50x the default, so that when you play back the demo in the engine the motion blur kicks in even with the slightest twitch of the mouse.

Here's what it looks like when playing back the demo file:

/snip

Then it goes back to normal while rendering as an AVI file(I'm doing the same rapid turn here as in the above shot):

/snip

I was planning on using the motion blur effect combined with rapid turning as a form of transitioning between shots.

Source recorder seems to be one of those things which has very little documentation (only one short page in the Valve Developer Wiki, I'm mostly self-taught), and I was just curious to know if anyone else has any idea of how to solve this problem.

Never use fraps to record video in source
Always use the startmovie command and use a MINIMUM of host_framerate 90
Inport the audio / tga files into vdub and compile your raw avi that way.
If the blur effect isnt being recorded by startmovie, just add it as an effect in vegas.
I think its called linear blur, then just add a clipping mask to the gun and whatever else you dont want blurred.
Also if your on nvidia, create a new ge:s profile and put AA etc. on high then load ge:s through that for better looking video.
tga > avi in vdub - http://infprod.com/index.php?site=tutorials&action=show&tutorialsID=11
nvidia settings - http://infprod.com/index.php?site=tutorials&action=show&tutorialsID=124
encoding final product - http://infprod.com/index.php?site=tutorials&action=show&tutorialsID=124

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 09:22:33 pm »

TBH 90FPS is a bit overkill, I only use 90FPS or more if I am doing slomo shots, record at 90FPS then play back at 30FPS.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up