GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 23, 2024, 06:37:32 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Suggestion] Trigger_auto_crouch  (Read 3710 times)

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
[Suggestion] Trigger_auto_crouch
« on: February 28, 2010, 02:12:50 am »

I'm going to bet that this has probably been thought of and perhaps even already developed internally... but I felt it was worth a mention just in case. It's one of those simple ideas that can get easily overlooked.

The title is pretty self-explanatory really. In Goldeneye, when reached a low ceiling/vent entrance you would automatically crouch. I believe it was originally done by detecting the ceiling height near the player. The most memorable example would be the vents in complex.

As far as I'm aware it's very simple to code a brush entity that forces the player to crouch. It's nothing new, it already exists in L4D for crawlspaces just to aid the player to move more fluidly.

I think it would make a fine addition to Goldeneye: Source and could be put to good use in places like Facility, Archives and Complex's vents and the low ceiling/crawlspace at the top level of Control. Maybe even under the ramps in Stack and Complex like in the original. I'm sure it would definitely reduce the slight frustration of manually crouching to enter vents and give even more Goldeneye-feel to the movement.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
Re: [Suggestion] Trigger_auto_crouch
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 02:40:15 am »

I love this suggestion. Its always the small details that help make the game.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 02:51:51 am »

I really like this idea, I remember thinking about it a while ago and then never mentioning it to KM. I think it would be really easy for him to implement and couldn't do anything but help.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 06:38:10 am »

As a person who fumbles the crouch half the time due to latency, I know id be for it. But really, its not so much a deal in modern engines :P

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 07:51:01 am »

still, although it may seem pointless to some, it would really bring life to the game when comparing to the original. People would just chuckle when it happened.....I know I would :)

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

olileauk

• Last vestige of [L[T]K]
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • olileauk has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 07:42:48 pm »

Man this would be awesome. I really like this idea.
Been here since Alpha 1.1... Those were the days.

Nozzy06

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Nozzy06 has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 02:44:36 am »

I'm not for or against this idea... in GE64 crouching was a little more difficult than hitting one button so they tried to make it easier on you. In modern games crouching is easy to do and I've never had a problem with it in GE:S, I just don't see any real need for it when it's already easy enough.
"Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders."

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 10:45:15 am »

good idea  :D ..I don´t even remember it in the original..very long ago
finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 11:25:39 pm »

I would hate to have people crouching (when they DON'T EXPECT IT) when they walk NEAR a vent because of this "feature". I am not in favor.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 11:58:45 pm »

Of course how well it would be implemented would be down to the mapper. You could have the brush pretty much flush with the vent entrance except a couple of units out so that you literally have to be touching the vent to auto crouch.

There's something quite flimsy about the entering and moving within the vents with manual crouching. I'm often seeing over the top of the vent whilst inside it. I don't think it's related though.

There may be alternative methods of achieving auto-crouching of course, perhaps if someone is pushing into the direction of a vent entrance.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Seiya

• WNxJúlioCésar
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Seiya has no influence.
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 04:22:06 pm »

I agree with KM. It was necessary for a console game, but for a PC game it would just disturb players.

If there was an option to disable auto-crouching (like auto weapon pick up) and if it's something that can be easily implemented, then nobody would be against it, I guess.
Pages: [1]   Go Up