GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 16, 2024, 06:47:02 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving brush entities rendering on top of translucent textures  (Read 5310 times)

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Moving brush entities rendering on top of translucent textures
« on: December 07, 2009, 04:46:11 am »

I'm working on a map and came across this bug, a func_rotating brush entity rendering in front of a translucent surface. I figure this is just one of these bugs that valve hasn't bothered to fix...

It's not a huge problem.. you don't really notice it much when playing but only because it's a fast moving object... and well, I'm a perfectionist so it bugs the hell out of me. 8)

Does anybody know of any workarounds/fixes? Possibly using rotating doors intstead?
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
Re: Moving brush entities rendering on top of translucent textures
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 11:48:41 am »

Try $alphatest for the grate material.
It once helped me when i had an issue with a prop not rendering at certain view angles when it was behind a refract shadder object.

Mangley

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 01:29:42 pm »

Thanks, I wasn't sure if that would work or not, I was hoping there was another way but I'll just have to learn how to compile .VMF's into the BSP.  :P

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 01:46:39 pm »

Thanks, I wasn't sure if that would work or not, I was hoping there was another way but I'll just have to learn how to compile .VMF's into the BSP.  :P

What are you talking about?

You add "$alphatest 1" to the VMT of the grate material. Has nothing to do with compile maps or whatever.
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Material

Mangley

• Retired Lead Developer
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 02:25:10 pm »

??? It does if I want it to work for everyone...

Editting the VMF only fixes it for me... including a new VMF for the grate texture with $alphatest 1 in the BSP means everyone will see it the same way.

Or am I missing something?  :-X

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 04:18:56 pm »

Well, you're talking about packing a custom material into your .bsp, right?
Ofc. this is a good idea when releasing the map.
I recomend you Packrat for this.

But make sure the material file (.vmt) has a unique name, otherwise it might cause problems with the same texture used in other maps.
In other words, just copy the original .vmt, rename it (maybe add _alphatest to the name), replace your material in hammer with the new material and once you've finished the map completly, pack in the custom content (in that case the .vmt of this grate) using Packrat and you're ready to go.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 04:30:45 pm »

haha, thats nothing.   You should have seen the old cradle when I tried to put the support towers in the skybox...
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

Mangley

• Retired Lead Developer
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 04:40:40 pm »

Thanks for all the help!  :)

Mike [fourtecks]

• Disregard KM, acquire death threats.
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 02:52:52 am »

haha, thats nothing.   You should have seen the old cradle when I tried to put the support towers in the skybox...

Or back in the day when ge_control used to have hl1 translucent railings.
ge_facility, ge_facility_backzone, ge_control
Pages: [1]   Go Up