GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 08:51:21 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Current carried weapons  (Read 4049 times)

CrazyTerabyte

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • CrazyTerabyte has no influence.
    • My website
Current carried weapons
« on: January 02, 2011, 02:31:12 am »

I've just started playing this mod, and it looks very good.

But there is one thing annoying me: during the game, I can't know what weapons I'm carrying unless I try to switch weapons. And while walking around the map, I pick up weapons without knowing if I got a new weapon or just some ammo for another one.

My suggestion is simple: make that bottom-right list of current weapons be displayed ALL the time. This way, I can quickly see what weapons I'm carrying, and even what shortcut will toggle to which weapon.

Maybe people very experienced with this game won't need this feature. However, this feature is immensely useful for new players, who don't know exactly what are the weapons in the game. It's specially useful for learning what are the different types of mines. Anyway, I think that even the experienced ones will benefit from that piece of information.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: Current carried weapons
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 02:41:01 am »

When you walk over a weapon and pick it up for the first time a picture of the weapon will show up in the right hand side history list. If you only pick up ammo (as in you already own the weapon) then it shows the ammo only.

Showing the weapon's owned list at all times would be cluttering the HUD imo with unnecessary information. I don't know any game that shows you all your carried weapons at all times, to be honest.

If you want to see the current weapons that are in play press 'c' to pop up the list (includes names and pictures). You can keep this up at all times if you want or hide it again by pressing 'c' once more.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 02:42:34 am by killermonkey »

CrazyTerabyte

• Agent
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 03:26:49 am »

Showing the weapon's owned list at all times would be cluttering the HUD imo with unnecessary information. I don't know any game that shows you all your carried weapons at all times, to be honest.
I can remember the old ones, like Doom, Quake and Duke Nukem 3D.
Also, the entire Unreal series show all weapons all the time.
Left4Dead also show all carried items all the time.
All of them show the weapons and ammo for each weapon (or group of weapons).

Anyway, I understand you don't want to pollute the (minimalist) HUD. On the other hand, I'm asking for a little UI that will help new users. So... Maybe you could make that as an option inside "advanced" screen?

Another idea would be to show all weapons at the bottom-right corner when "Fast Weapon Switch" is on. Currently, only the selected weapon is shown, and I think it would be better if all are shown (just like when that option is off).

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 04:03:16 am »

Yes, making it an advanced option is fine, HOWEVER, if you're a noobie you don't look in advanced options. So that forces us to make it on by default which would irritate the majority of people. Double edged sword.

The games you mention all have a small selection of weapons with exception of Unreal. L4D only has 1 primary, 1 secondary, and 2 carries. Doom, et al. only show numbers, not the weapon name and its built into the UI.

Anyway, thats beyond the point.

Fast Weapon switch only shows the current weapon name because its fast weapon switch.... the idea is you don't care about your list of weapons because you aren't choosing it, per say, you are quickly scrolling through and showing a list does not help you do that, at least in its current implementation.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 04:05:20 am by killermonkey »

CrazyTerabyte

• Agent
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 05:00:02 am »

Yes, making it an advanced option is fine, HOWEVER, if you're a noobie you don't look in advanced options. So that forces us to make it on by default which would irritate the majority of people. Double edged sword.
Agreed, makes sense. I thought about it minutes after my reply.

Fast Weapon switch only shows the current weapon name because its fast weapon switch.... the idea is you don't care about your list of weapons because you aren't choosing it, per say, you are quickly scrolling through and showing a list does not help you do that, at least in its current implementation.
I disagree. I still think that showing the entire list while quick-selecting the weapon is still helpful. Far Cry shows all 4 carried weapons whenever you switch to another one, and still it behaves like "fast weapon switch".

Anyway, I won't argue.
Gotta call some friends to play this mod with me someday. :)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 05:20:00 am »

Arguement is good, stimulates various view points in both sides. As you can tell, especially if you read other posts, I like to contest suggestions and opinions and ultimately a fleshed out and well thought out implementation is the result (especially if the suggestion is viable and may lead to something useful).

There is a common ground, and I believe I figured out a way to address our advanced options being so "hidden" especially to new players. Thank you for helping me think about all this :-)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 05:21:38 am by killermonkey »

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 05:37:19 am »

People can't remember which weapons they have?
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 05:49:33 am »

People can't remember which weapons they have?
qft
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 05:51:37 am by Proxie »
Pages: [1]   Go Up