GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 24, 2024, 12:06:47 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Do you believe that violent video games make people violent?

Yes.
- 0 (0%)
No.
- 28 (93.3%)
Only Young Children.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Game Violence  (Read 10444 times)

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
Video Game Violence
« on: January 05, 2009, 05:42:47 pm »

It turns out that my research paper has been moved to Monday, but I need some help. According to my teacher, I need to have both sides of an argument, but I'm sort of close minded on the matter.

I believe that the relationship between violence in games and violence in real life is small. People have been violent in the past, so whats different about now? I believe that video games are also a great help to parents; in the way that you know where they are on a Saturday night.

The problem I have is trying to think of an argument against this. What are some examples that violence in video games make people in real life violent as well. I can see maybe violent games on young children could be a problem, but need some more examples.

So ya, what is your opinion on violent games?

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
Re: Video Game Violence
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 06:30:54 pm »

Video games or any other media cannot make people violent.
They can give violent ppl only a template on how to express that violence.
If there were no Videogames, they would get their inspiration elsewere e.g. in movies or out of books.
The real cause of the violence can be found almost everytime in the social environment of the ppl.
Politicans who blame media for violence are just trying to find a scapegoat, course they are unable to solve the real problems.
It's easier to blame and restrict videogames, then to get rid of unemployment, poverty and other things like that.

Maybe some of them also belive that's right course they don't play games anyway and they got an totally wrong impression on it.
It's just something very unplesent for them, so they don't care if it would be completly gone.
I mean someone who does not listen to let's say rap music, wouldn't care or even be glad, if it would be restricted by law.
So that's just the conflict of generations (same as with Rock music, Movie vs Books) this time fought on our heads.
In a few decades noone will blame videogames anymore, course we'll be the ones who are blaming the youth to be more violent.
I just don't know what we are going to restrict then.

PeskySaurus

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • PeskySaurus is looked down upon.
    • NUKEMAN & Kittyboy
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 06:45:07 pm »

This isn't exactly a research grade answer, but I would like to note that I started playing Catacombs 3D (precursor to Wolfenstein) before I was old enough to talk, much less wipe my own ass, and I am not in the least bit violent. I have a collection of fire arms, but I am extremely strict about gun safety, and I hope I am never forced to use them against anything other then paper and clay. Both my brothers are in the same boat as me, and one of them is practicing Buddhist study and meditates with Thai monks. He still likes Grand Theft Auto, Doom, and Mortal Kombat, but he detests real life violence.

If you want an opinion from the other side, just interview Jack Thompson. Although... I don't think he's even a lawyer anymore, they kicked him from the bar or something.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 06:56:19 pm by PeskySaurus »
"I got something deep inside of me, courage is the thing that KEEPS US FREE!" - If you don't know the source of this line, don't even bother talking to me you communist.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 08:50:38 pm »

I believe a complete failure to raise children causes violence.  Violent video games only lead to violence if violence isn't taught as something that is acceptable only in video games and films.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

1Rusky

• Secret Agent
  • 1Rusky has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 09:41:28 pm »

Bad people come about because their parents didn't do their job or something traumatic happened to them in their lives. There's just more bad people today because of the drug problems in the 60's/70's as people were having kids when they shouldn't have and thus those children didn't get the parenting needed for functioning properly in life. Idiots just point to video games as a scapegoat, like Hilary Clinton.

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 12:36:16 am »

the main problem is that a lot of the studys on video game violence are complete bullshit.

study's do things like put kids in a room let them play video games for a while. some pick violent games some don't. then they study the kids, and the ones who are more aggressive played the violent video games. the study's then end up with a huge amount of flaws like hey maybe kids who are more aggressive like violent video games. or what constitutes a violent game? does aggressive behavior translate to actual violence?

the argument of video games leading to violent behavior is nearly impossible to test because the amount of influences in a persons environment are to many to be able to narrow down the specific cause to one form of entertainment in someones life.

comic books were the last generations scape goat you should start your research there. and maybe go into other generations evil sex and violence inducing entertainments like Elvis, or jazz music.

fallow that to things like the Columbine shootings Jack Thompson (Mr. im such a shit bag lawyer i got disbarred WOot) then finish your argument by reading Grand Theft Childhood. after that you should be a pretty dam solid expert on the subject.

make sure in your paper not to talk out of your ass on what your opinions are, look at historical references and actual scientific study, that arent making the conclusion that correlation is causality.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Loafie, Hero of Dreams has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 08:57:44 am »

idiot parents confuse correlation with causation, then scapegoat others to not confront their own poor parenting skills

Not related to videogame violence, but one of my favorite south park videos ever

In no way am i advocating domestic abuse, but for fucks sake you have to teach a kid some discipline
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 08:59:30 am by Loafie, Hero of Dreams »
maps in production: ge_temple maps released: ge_caves, ge_complex, ge_complex_classic
Loafie, Hero of Dreams is watching Big Love
fourtecks: you are watching basstronix?

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 03:17:40 pm »

North America has far too much protection for children. The protection is more unhealthy than just letting them discover things on their own. Saying "you can't watch/listen/do this" only makes them more curious.

Not just for violence in video games, but everything else that is deemed "inappropriate".
As an example, over in Europe, things seem very slack in that regard. Topless beaches, pubic urinals ('cause they're going to piss themselves anyway), etc.
Why? Because no one cares. Why? 'Cause it's not a big deal.

Violent video games do not cause aggressiveness in people, unless they're either?playing Mortal Kombat in the school yard, mentally unstable, or can't tell the difference. (Which might fall into 'mentally unstable'.)

"You know the best way to protect your child? Leave them the fuck alone!" ~George Carlin

Then there's all the controversy from parents and the media about kids playing games like GTA. Should you allow your kids to play GTA in the first place? NO. End the of the fucking argument. There is nothing to discuss.
The problem there lies in the shitty parenting, which allows the kid to play it in the first place. Then other parents start foaming at the mouth, saying the developers are bad people. Nice.
The bullshit gets so rampant in fact that people start making up completely false things about certain games; either pulled out of their ass or just assumed because they didn't do their research.

All this stupidity and all these people making all this noise, at the end of the day, is a waste of time, and is damaging the child's mind more than just letting them discover things for themselves.

Of course, there are times when you do have to step in. You know, it would be nice if there were some sort of... rating system for games. You know, to keep minors away from certain games? They do that with movies...
I heard of this ingeneous idea from ScrewAttack.com. They ought to implement this system.
[/sarcasm]

Want more? Well, just for a bullshit bonus, I found this hilarious site.
http://www.whattheyplay.com/
"You'll know more than your kids!"
GTA appropriate for your children? Click to learn more. [Not exact quote]

Gotta love how they took some of their site's design from YouTube.

Edited for missing word.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 11:46:38 pm by Rodney 1.666 »
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Bissrok

• Agent
  • Bissrok has no influence.
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 06:11:38 pm »

I think real life social experiences have a much more profound influence over people's behavior than simple entertainment, like violent books, film, or videogames. I don't know any guy my age that hasn't grown up with all three, and none of them are terribly violent by nature.

I say a girlfriend cheating on you is infinitely more likely to incite violent than listening to Ozzy or mowin' down some imps in Doom. In fact, I think either of those things would be a great help in reducing any sort of anger and aggression. How many of us have had a bad day, and we've come home and run down some hookers? Virtual violence is great for stress relief.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 07:00:30 pm »

If you think you got it bad with ppl trying to blame videogames for almost everything, come over here to germany.
We allready got a very harsh censorship on violence in games and movies and there are ppl who are still trying to get even harder restrictions especally on Games.
For some examples read my posts here:
http://forums.goldeneyesource.com/index.php/topic,2015.msg26238.html#msg26238

PeskySaurus

• Secret Agent
    • NUKEMAN & Kittyboy
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 08:15:26 pm »

Damn, how come you guys let Rammstein , and then come on stage and SING ON FIRE a song about babies exploding from the awful Ramstein disaster, yet when they come to America they are arrested after one show... but gibbing in first person shooters is commonly accepted here, and they try to ban even blood splatter in TF2? Does not compute. I'm glad I live in America, I'll tell you what. lol

PS: I know the second video wasn't in Germany, but they perform the exact same act in Berlin as well.
"I got something deep inside of me, courage is the thing that KEEPS US FREE!" - If you don't know the source of this line, don't even bother talking to me you communist.

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Loafie, Hero of Dreams has no influence.
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 09:07:43 am »

If I have a bad time, I go home and bag a couple hundred zombies. Loves me some L4D.
maps in production: ge_temple maps released: ge_caves, ge_complex, ge_complex_classic
Loafie, Hero of Dreams is watching Big Love
fourtecks: you are watching basstronix?

kraid

• Game Artist
    • my Homepage
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 10:56:39 am »

Well, this song isn't about exploding babies (who told you that shit?).
And i would say there are Bands doing even worser things on their shows.
The reason for Ramstein are not being censored, is they crypt their texts so it depends on the interpretation (in most cases).
In the song "Ramstein" there are only loosely connected parts of sentences, more like still images of scenes happened, which might be related somehow to the place called Ramstein here in Germany.
It's a military flight base used during WWII and after that by the US Army.
They used it for storeing Atombombs till 2005 and still using it as a flight base today.

I'm not really sure what they wanna say with things like:
(translated to english)
Ramstein
A body burns
Ramstein
Rancid flesh fills the air
Ramstein
A child dies
Ramstein
The sun shines
Ramstein
A sea of flames
Ramstein
Blood congeals on (the) asphaltene
Ramstein
Mothers' scream
Ramstein
The sun shines
Ramstein
A mass grave
Ramstein
There's no escape
Ramstein
Not a bird will sing
Ramstein
And the sun shines

It depends so much on the interpretation that i cannot say anything for sure.
But if i should do a guess, i would say they talk about ramstein military base, where all those aircrafts are starting to kill ppl somewhere else, while there is sunshine over ramstein.
So it's a song against war and they might be not arrested for having some pyrotechnics in their show (was anyone hurt by these pyro things?), but for the critic they do on the US useing ramstein to bring death and destruction to their enemies.
Again just my interpretation of it.

I don't like this song anyway, it's to simple in therms of melody and they've done far better songs.

You're glad to live in America, that's good. But i think there are some things in your country which you dislike too, like Alcohol restriction till 21, or the prudery against everything related to sex.

PeskySaurus

• Secret Agent
    • NUKEMAN & Kittyboy
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 08:17:42 pm »

"A child dies" was the line I was referring to, combined with the blood coagulating. Perhaps the exploding babies interpretation came from me reading a story written by a survivor of the accident. Dude, I have every Rammstein song, CD, DVD ever made, a poster, 4 shirts, and all their really obscure songs not on CD.  I think I know a little bit about the band. Hell, I even study your language cause of them, lol. Also, if I remember reading correctly, "Rammstein" was the first song they ever wrote, and the reason for the song, and the name of the band, was because of the airshow disaster was on TV nonstop and they couldn't get it out of their head. If I can find the interview where this is stated I will show you. I donno where you got that translation either, but I guess no translation in this world is perfect. The one I know is slightly different, such as "und die sonne scheint" would technically be "and the sun is shinning".. but I guess you know more about German if I know more about English. So the child dying line might have been more violent in the translation I know of.

Also, they have far ... more controversial songs then Rammstein, like the song about fish incest and stuff, but I find the stage antics for that song far less interesting, and not noteworthy for arrest. I think Buck Dich is what got them arrested in America, not Rammstein. Though I imagine if they played "Amerika" they might get their ass beat down into the pavement. Then again maybe not, Till is a brick house, lol

But yes, there are a few qualms I have with America, but I'll take my legal riot shotgun to protect my family and uncensored TF2 over a younger drinking age anyday. I'm of age already, so I'm slightly biased on that part. Damn young hooligans drinking.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 08:35:12 pm by PeskySaurus »

kraid

• Game Artist
    • my Homepage
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 08:49:42 pm »

the reason for the song, and the name of the band, was because of the airshow disaster was on TV nonstop and they couldn't get it out of their head.

Hmmm... yea, this sounds belivable. TBH I'm not really a Ramstein Fan.
"Bück Dich!" might be a reason for arresting them, since it's topic is sex.
An even better one would be "Mann gegen Mann" course it's about homosexuality.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up