GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 10:37:40 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The DooM Mapper's Thread  (Read 15975 times)

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
The DooM Mapper's Thread
« on: November 20, 2008, 06:35:10 am »

I don't know if anyone else here is still or has ever been a fan of the DooM series, the grandfather of first-person shooters.
Yes, DooM is written/typed like that, as are the other words you'll notice. Don't ask questions. ::)

I happen to be, and I'm not exaggerating here, a DooM guru.
I have completed every game in the franchise on Ultra-Violence (excluding D00M 3), and know all of DooM 1 and II's maps inside out and backwards.

My PC hobby is mapping for DooM, D00M II, and Final DOOM. That is, I create/edit maps and WADs, and play them and other's WADs.
For those who don't know, WAD literally stands for "Where's All the Data?". The WAD contains all of the wall and floor textures, enemy/prop/weapon sprites, and all the sound and music.
An IWAD is a collection of WADs lumped together into once large file. (For example, the file Doom2.IWAD is the entire game.)

I've made a few alright levels from scratch. Several are abandoned projects that I just have lying around. I have resurrected and finished a few, though.
I have also re-created already existing levels from the original games to be a lot harder. Think of it as extra mode.
All of them are designed for experts.

That's enough back story. ::)
I seriously doubt it, but if anyone else here can map for DooM, feel free to post a link to your files.
I will upload a few and link them here.

I strongly urge to use ZDOOM for playing DooM nowadays, edits or otherwise.
It can easily be found at ZDOOM.org.

If you're mapper, I would also recommend what I feel is the best editor out there, DeePsea. Once you've got it figured out, it's fairly easy and simple to use, with "features you won't find anywhere else!".
One handy feature (obviously not limited to DeePsea) is to test a map without having to find the file and opening it with ZDOOM. You can test it right from the interface.

Testing... my favorite yet hated part. It's the hated part when you've fucked something up and are trying to fix it. ::)
Fortunately it doesn't bother me that much. Hate going back in thinking it's fixed and seeing mirrored and glitched up walls.

Anyways... It can be found at SBsoftware.com.

So, yeah. Doubt this will get any attention at all... but you never know.
Wish I could somehow apply my mapping skills to something of the now. Guess experience is experience. ;)

To add to this, I also did a map based off the Egyptian Temple in GoldenEye007. I used the strategy guide that I have for the game to do the physical map itself, then got all the textures and features in. I'd say it's pretty damn accurate. ;D

My favorite room is the chamber that contains the golden gun... I won't spoil the surprise of how I recreated it. ;)
I will be doing other GE maps in the future...
Still pains me that the fan base for older mapping has lowered over time. Really with I could use my traits to help out with GE: Source somehow.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 06:35:22 pm by Rodney 1.666 »
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
Re: The DooM Mapper's Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 07:28:42 am »

I map for goldeneyesource!! lol

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 02:37:55 pm »

I used to map for Doom back in the day, my first modding experience. That and Jedi Knight I made some multiplayer maps for.

You are not alone :)

(btw Final Doom is by far my favorite of the three)

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 02:53:37 pm »

It's also the most insanely difficult in the whole franchise.
I really don't know if it's even possible to finished it on Ultra-Violence if you don't have mouse aiming. (Of course, all source ports have the function.)
Very often you'll find enemies in awkward places where you can't see them.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 02:59:19 pm by Rodney 1.666 »
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 03:19:04 pm »

Just to throw this out there... I used to play doom by literally calling my friends house through the ZDoom interface, initiate a Modem connection with his computer, and we'd play on our own private network. Pissed off my parents :)

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 08:30:19 pm »

I mapped for DooM.  I'd get the crew together, draw a map up during pre-game snacking, and after 30 minutes, we'd frag it up for a few hours.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
    • Steam profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 10:56:07 pm »

Simpler times, they were. :)

I'm working tonight, so I'll link a map later.
For those who don't know, running the levels is very easy. Simply save it, and open it with whatever source port you use. You may not start on that stage. If it takes you to the title screen, simply start a new game, and use the keyboard code IDCLEVxx. ("xx" being the map number.)

In most cases, it doesn't matter what difficulty you select. All objects and enemies are the same in all settings. ;)

PeskySaurus

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • PeskySaurus is looked down upon.
    • NUKEMAN & Kittyboy
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 12:00:55 pm »

Actually, I'm making a rather small Doom II campaign out of boredom (9 levels like Doom 1 length, but it will be in Doom II). I finished a multiplayer map if you want to check it out to see what my style is, I would be honored for a guru to play it lol. one thing though, even though skulltag is based on zdoom, it still gave me crap running in zdoom so i think you might need the skulltag sourceport to run my map(s). if that's too big of an inconvienience i understand. but here's my little map i made over the summer for doom 2 deathmatch: http://www.mediafire.com/file/itzdgzjztiq/abididm1_2.rar

i have it set to level one with the mapinfo lump or whatever, so you don't ahve to worry about that IDCLEVxx stuff.

I'm going to have a custom boss at the end as well as include the laser/unmaker from doom 64 in the campaign thingy. but i'm getting a little ambitious for just a set of doom levels. i'll be happy just releasing the 9 levels with the boss and gun. i'm just doing it for fun anyways
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 12:23:06 pm by PeskySaurus »
"I got something deep inside of me, courage is the thing that KEEPS US FREE!" - If you don't know the source of this line, don't even bother talking to me you communist.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
    • Steam profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 11:54:19 pm »

Looking forward to your campaign. =)

I'll link a map later.

...Alright, make that when I get around to it. Going through my old stuff and doing some refining.
Think I'll start with E1M1.
Don't expect anything remotely special. It's just one of the "challenge" maps I've edited. "Challenge map" means it's just edited with one or a few twists in place. You'll recognize it immediately. ;)

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 06:41:33 am by Rodney 1.666 »

StrikerMan780

• Hellbender
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • StrikerMan780 has no influence.
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 08:40:40 am »

Ah, yes. DooM. I've been mapping for DooM for quite a long while now(Since the age of 12, I'm now 17 soon turning 18), as well as DECORATE/ACS Scripting for ZDoom. I've stopped playing DooM online for a long while though, because of the ruthless elitism/rudeness/ignorance of the community as of late. I've been staying away until things settle down, and so people can forget about me.

Though, during my time away from the community, I've been working away at a Goldeneye 007 TC for Skulltag. It's relatively accurate to the N64 Game, while adding it's own twists on gameplay and features, and the levels are decently designed.

Here is an old shot of it, was a shot showing the development of the remote mines.

Check out [SM]'s HL2: Deathmatch Server! I've worked hard on making it the best it can be.

PeskySaurus

• Secret Agent
  • PeskySaurus is looked down upon.
    • NUKEMAN & Kittyboy
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 09:37:13 am »

..... because of the ruthless elitism/rudeness/ignorance of the community as of late.
WOW YOU AREN'T JOKING. I went on the Skulltag IRC channel to ask a few questions about MAPINFO and first reply:
"What the hell is so hard about mapinfo?"

Uhm, I didn't even ask my question yet, I had done exactly how it appears on the ZDoom wiki yet wasn't functioning. So I said, "Ignoring your arrogance..." followed by my question, and the entire channel started attacking me for calling him arrogant.

"He's not arrogant just because you're a dumb fuck that doesn't understand simple scripting."
"You're a noob fuck go die in a fire."
"Retards like you can't handle Doom editing, get out of this channel."

Yes, I was told I should die because I had a small question about MAPINFO that I thought the Skulltag developer community could help me with. I had to figure it out on my own ultimately. Besides, I was probably editing iD games when those elitist geeks were in diapers. (I'm 21 in March, have been playing with things since a hacked Wolfenstein 3D editor was on my dad's computer, and DEU in DOS etc..) Really sad.
"I got something deep inside of me, courage is the thing that KEEPS US FREE!" - If you don't know the source of this line, don't even bother talking to me you communist.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
    • Steam profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 03:05:02 pm »

...Didn't think that the few people who are still into the older games, let alone map for them, behaved like that.
I hate to say it, but if that's how they all act, it sounds like a raid is in order.

JamesBondMan

• Secret Agent
  • JamesBondMan is looked down upon.
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 02:30:19 am »

Sweet Ascension of DooM
Happines is a warm gun.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 02:36:54 am »

The assholes are always the last to leave a community, because they're the ones who drive everyone else away.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
    • Steam profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 06:33:08 am »

The assholes are always the last to leave a community, because they're the ones who drive everyone else away.

This is true. The community either dies from lack of new content, or is crippled from a lack of decent people who leave due to asshole infestation.
Wonder if someone has published a law for that...
(Like Godwin's Law, for example)

That does connect with another world fact:
"The good die young, but pricks live forever." -Lewis Black

WOW YOU AREN'T JOKING. I went on the Skulltag IRC channel to ask a few questions about MAPINFO and first reply:
"What the hell is so hard about mapinfo?"

Uhm, I didn't even ask my question yet, I had done exactly how it appears on the ZDoom wiki yet wasn't functioning. So I said, "Ignoring your arrogance..." followed by my question, and the entire channel started attacking me for calling him arrogant.

"He's not arrogant just because you're a dumb fuck that doesn't understand simple scripting."
"You're a noob fuck go die in a fire."
"Retards like you can't handle Doom editing, get out of this channel."

Yes, I was told I should die because I had a small question about MAPINFO that I thought the Skulltag developer community could help me with. I had to figure it out on my own ultimately. Besides, I was probably editing iD games when those elitist geeks were in diapers. (I'm 21 in March, have been playing with things since a hacked Wolfenstein 3D editor was on my dad's computer, and DEU in DOS etc..) Really sad.

Seriously, though. If that place is still that bad, it needs to be destroyed.
Those of you who are Chaners may know what I'm getting at...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 06:45:14 am by Rodney 1.666 »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up