GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 18, 2024, 11:57:30 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Funny little Caves bit  (Read 10857 times)

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Loafie, Hero of Dreams has no influence.
Funny little Caves bit
« on: June 09, 2010, 10:38:51 pm »

At one point a long while ago, I was testing a waterfall in the expanded area with a water body and a moving refraction texture, as if Caves didn't have enough dynamic elements to make your computer grumble.

Speaking of dynamic elements, after some sleuthing by our beloved Luchador, we've decided as a team to eliminate the dynamic lighting in the next update of Caves. I know, I know, it was a fun gameplay element and it was exciting for me to throw in there, but removing it quadruples your FPS, so we think it's a good trade. As one member put it, "Well it does suck that we are going to lose the main draw factor to the map, but in the long run what is better, performance or gameplay? You cant use features if you cant play the game." The generators will still be there to explode though so have plenty of fun with those. Aaaaaaand now back to my thesis! ciaociaociao
maps in production: ge_temple maps released: ge_caves, ge_complex, ge_complex_classic
Loafie, Hero of Dreams is watching Big Love
fourtecks: you are watching basstronix?

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
Re: Funny little Caves bit
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 11:02:49 pm »

Wow, never knew about you trying to put a waterfall in there. That could easily be done with a particle system if you tell me exactly what you want.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

WNxCJL9788

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • WNxCJL9788 has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 12:51:57 am »

One of the biggest complaints ingame is about the lag on Caves. Hopefully this solves the problem in the future.

And that waterfall looks sweet...

Sergeant Kelly

• Deus Ex Fan.
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 12:41:40 am »

Noooo, I loved those lights!

This is an extremely sad moment. Dynamic things like buttons and explosives are my favorites and I hate to see them go.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 01:59:07 am »

If we are able to find another option for the lighting i would be all for it..  even if we try to do some sort of cheat where we have a filter on the client or a giant block that makes it darker spawn.  I know I have no issues with my hardware..  but I am not a typical kind of guy.
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 03:07:46 am »

How about tonemap controllers? Just throwing that out there... Not sure exactly how it would work.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 04:02:58 am »

Horrible, they are extremely buggy from out testing on other levels.
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

mbsurfer

• Inactive Tester
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 06:03:07 am »

Personally, I don't like the flat waterfall as much as the lights. If the water became a bit more jagged and realistic then maybe, but that may totally defeat the purpose of lessening the lag. More edges and moving textures on them would probably hurt the lag in the long run.

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 09:47:05 pm »

oh THANK GOD for removal of dynamic lighting...Although the frames aren't as bad as caverns and some other levels.

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up