GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:03:11 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3D Artist Application  (Read 7796 times)

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
3D Artist Application
« on: February 02, 2009, 11:40:15 pm »

Hi my name is Matthew Dean (Kinky), im a 20 year old bachelor of arts degree student studying Video Games Design at Solent University in Southampton (i presume a few of you are from the UK and will know where that is)

I dont have any professional experience but i have been using 3D Studio MAX for around 3 years now and am on the second year of my degree.

I am fimiliar with 3DS MAX (up to 2009) as well as Photoshop, Maya, XSI, ZBrush and other software packages. I also have a fair amount of knowledge of Rigging (full characters), all forms of UVW unwrapping, normal/specular/environment maps and animation.

I have also worked on the source engine somewhat before and understand the filetypes and compiling processes somewhat.

Some of my work...

Look forward to hearing from you

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
Re: 3D Artist Application
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 12:09:51 am »

Hey thanks for applying.  It looks like you have a pretty good grasp of modeling. We tend to prefer well-rounded artists who can model, uv, texture, and hopefully compile their own props.  I can't really get a good feel for your texturing or uv mapping skills by those images.  Are you comfortable texturing  your own props and do you have any texturing work to show?

Being able to rig and animate is a big plus, do you have any work in that area that you are able to show?

Most schools will teach you a well rounded program, but eventually you'll end up specializing in one area.  What area would you prefer to work in?

Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

Kinky

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 12:22:40 am »

hey, thanks for the speedy reply...

Apologies i completely forgot to show any UVs or textures or anything :/ ...sorry my bad

Heres some UVs for the animal models in my original post.... both pelted

Also some low poly characters i forgot..

As for texturing work i am more than comfortable texturing my own props/characters but i actually have little to show that i am proud of. Although if required i can texture some models to show you. Same goes for rigging/animation. Im primarily more of a character modeller/skinner but i noticed you guys were interested in animators at this stage so i thought mentioning my abilities in these fields would be helpful... like i said i can create a short demo reel or something if you would like?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 12:24:23 am by Kinky »

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Loafie, Hero of Dreams has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 12:31:56 am »

Got my vote. Can we throw a character or animation at him?
maps in production: ge_temple maps released: ge_caves, ge_complex, ge_complex_classic
Loafie, Hero of Dreams is watching Big Love
fourtecks: you are watching basstronix?

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 12:46:57 am »

Let's start him on RL or GrenL.  We need to finish our inventory.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 12:59:20 am »

Let's start him on RL or GrenL.  We need to finish our inventory.

Huh?  I already modeled and textured both of those, all they need is animation........

Kinky, Spider should be by in a bit and let you know what the deal is, so look for his post.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:02:44 am by Konrad Beerbaum »
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 01:00:58 am »

...that's it?

This is the part where I get so furious about things getting almost done around here but NOT that I write a sentence about how damn furious I am.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 01:09:29 am »

Hey there,

Your models look fairly good, I don't see any major problems with them, and it's a definite plus that you can properly UV map. As much as modeling\uving\texturing in the complete package play a high role in our decisions on 3D artists, I think that the our most use out of you would be Animation. Reason being is we don't have a whole lot of 3d art related things left to do, aside from characters, props, and 1 or 2 weapons and a whole lot of animation work to be done.

Do you have any experience or knowledge of animating in first-person point-of-view?
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

Kinky

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 01:31:41 am »

Yep... ive done first person animations for CSS in the past. Idles/Reloads/Pumps etc.. And am quite willing to do that sort of stuff... like i said i prefer to model/skin but what needs to be done needs to be done! ...If you do decide to give me a trial on animation i will probably just do a character slowly in my spare time alongside to fuel my needs to create xD

Just a bit of proof about 1st person anims...

(its really not good i know its VERY old... just shows i know how the rigs work)

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 01:40:07 am »

Well, I just meant right now, I think that's our biggest need of your abilities you've listed. Later on down the line, when animations are done, or don't need your services as much you can work in other areas as well. Most of us all work on many different departments, whether it be 3D Art, Texturing, Animating, like myself.

I'll go ahead and bump you to trial. Make a post in the trial members board, and we'll try and figure something out for you to work with. It'll more than likely be a weapon animation. :)
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 04:15:21 am »

I have a hunch it will be a grenade/rocket launcher animation  ::) 8) Good luck buddy. You look like a very promising team member. :)

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up